Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can’t find

By golly I think I'll get that.
    Thank you once again.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I do admit to taking two shells to the woods in my youth if I could scrounge them up. I never practiced. Ever. I never spent one day shooting at anything that didn't move until I was an adult. I didn't know what practice was and I don't think I ever heard the term. That is the truth. Dad served in the war and never picked another weapon when he got out so I was on my own when it came to hunting and I was on my own when it came to buying ammo.
    My male role models were very much into guns and hunting. There was never anything in my upbringing that constituted what some refer to as "range time". They were rifle builders and reloaders. They built their own hunting rifles from Mauser 98s and Springfield 03s and 03A3s. Then they worked up loads. After the initial load development that rifle might fire four rounds per year. Two fouling shots and two shots on deer.

This past weekend the neighbors down the road must have fired 2000 rounds. Probably 223 from an AR. I'd count to 20 and then they'd do it again. It really got kinda tiresome. We never did that.

My youngest son asked me to be his Best Man. I asked him what he wanted to do for his bachelor party. He said he wanted to shoot with me and his brothers. I loaded up around 500 rounds of each 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 38 spl, and 357 Mag. I also took along a couple of bricks of 22 lr. That was the only time we ever did anything like that.

Back in the day ammo, even reloaded ammo, cost money, and money was tight. The cost of building a hunting rifle and loading ammo was weighed agains #s of deer meat (and javelina meat too) to justify the build. My dad was a craftsman and built some beautiful rifles and stocks. He often told me about doing a full checkering job for a fellow for $25 and that was the full extent of "Christmas Money" for that year.

When I came into shooting age (5), I got to practice shooting ... on rabbits. My grandmother and mother would fry what we'd eat and we'd take the excess to the folks who worked for my grandfather. The idea was to take a fine bead and hit the rabbit in the eye wasting as little meat as possible. Those folks wh ogot the rabbits didn't throw any edible part of those rabbits away. Their dogs were lucky if the skin had a bit of flesh on it.

I like to shoot, and I like to reload. I don't hunt much any more. After the boys left home our meat consumption dropped considerably and a deer would be way more than #1 wife and I would eat in a year.

I do know that as a kid, when I started having to buy my own ammo, my aim got a lot better.

Alan

the end is close enough that I converted 80% of my savings to gold coins. This endless printing of money and paying people to not work only has one possible outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by atet View Post
    the end is close enough that I converted 80% of my savings to gold coins. This endless printing of money and paying people to not work only has one possible outcome.
    And that possible outcome is a bunch of broke, hungry folks coming after your gold. If your gonna be a goldbug, you better be a leadbug too.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

any kid can hit, slowfire from a braced firing position, with a rifle. TRY, sometime, reacting to the timer's beep, making a concealed draw and hitting two targets in the chest at 10 ft, 5 ft apart, in sub 1.0 second, without LOTS of practice. When men are within 10 ft of you, standing start, they can be All OVER you in one second flat. You have no choice but to let lots of people closer than that every time you walk down a street, store-aisle, get on an elevator, etc. You have to practice a LOT to be able to react to the beep of a timer, raise a rifle from Rhodesian ready and hit two men at 25 yds in 1.5 seconds, but that's all the time you'll have if they've both got shotguns.

Do you practice hitting people in store aisles, elevators, walking down the street, etc?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm going to start carrying a little timer beeper around with me when I go to the mall and just beep it randomly as I walk around... It won't take long to find out where the ultra preppers are...

Alan

I'll rely on my military experience. People shooting at you seems to cause a response much more "exciting" than a beeper. It's good to train, but don't assume that that training will prepare you for real life situations.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by didnot View Post
    any kid can hit, slowfire from a braced firing position, with a rifle. TRY, sometime, reacting to the timer's beep, making a concealed draw and hitting two targets in the chest at 10 ft, 5 ft apart, in sub 1.0 second, without LOTS of practice. When men are within 10 ft of you, standing start, they can be All OVER you in one second flat. You have no choice but to let lots of people closer than that every time you walk down a street, store-aisle, get on an elevator, etc. You have to practice a LOT to be able to react to the beep of a timer, raise a rifle from Rhodesian ready and hit two men at 25 yds in 1.5 seconds, but that's all the time you'll have if they've both got shotguns.
    I was Infantry; so what is this beep of a timer you mentioned? Beep of a timer is a fun but safe civilian shooting sport. In combat, the beep is incoming rounds. Mixing competition and combat?

Why would the two men have shotguns?

The M16 cyclic rate is 0.1 second. However, you're assuming the targets are standing shoulder to shoulder?

Sub one second speed? Without doubt, you are well read, but you've never seen or met the elephant because there is no such thing as sub one second response.
    What did that mean? Again, I'll assist..
    Military: In some military quarters, having "seen the elephant" has been used as shorthand for having experienced combat.
    Rhodesian ready? Again a definite indicator you've never "played" on the two way range. I know how others and carried a weapon in combat. Is there a difference between Rhodesian ready and what every Grunt does?
    You are quite the wannabe/keyboard commando.

Methinks you've heard of the Tueller Drill.
    To save you the effort of a search: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

No, you won't have time because you've never done it except with a keyboard.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by didnot View Post
    any kid can hit, slowfire from a braced firing position, with a rifle.
    And there lies the rub. You will probably be roaming across someone else's land, looking for something to steal, ready to react in .10 second with your race gun, and a little 12 year old girl will take you out at 200 meters with the .243 her grandad gave her for Christmas Back in 2020.

You really are one piece of work.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The reason his reaction time is .10 second is his finger is always on the trigger.

I don't have reaction time to anything in .1 seconds... 10 seconds is about average for most things... Well, my reaction to the dinner bell is pretty fast...

Alan