Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can’t find

Default Can’t find

Seems like the popular stuff has dried up.

Yeah, I haven't seen 9mm or 5.56 "in the wild" for a month.

I find some at Academy Sports every now and then (Monday mornings). The range I go to has some with very strict buying limits.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My "go to" shop got me some 300blk. Promised me some 300blk sub soon. They have 5.56/.223 and 9 mm. No more pre-panic buying prices though. Grabbed a few more mags.

Is the end of the world upon us again? I've been trying to stay away from the news. After I read that an asteroid the size of a high rise was headed our way I sort of gave up. How big is a high rise anyway? Is there a standard for high rises? A specific number of stories? Is that with or without underground parking? Writers fail to be specific when attaching comparisons. When I bought my first car with a mirror that said, "Objects in mirror are larger than they appear," I peeled that label off and put it on my belt buckle. It didn't help. I don't think panic buying is gonna help either. If you ain't got now, you done shoulda got it.

Oh, I'm set. I do go to the range at least once a week, so ............
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I’m set. I just don’t want to have to conserve and feel limited.

Yeah, that feelin' limited thing is kind of limiting. I get it.

I switched over to .22 plinking this summer. I have plenty of that. The one caliber I am looking for is for a recent build. And the subsonic is for an "additional" build for the build.

Tool & Die Maker

It's bad out there. I found myself out of 55grn 223 bullets. My brother-in-law said no shortage of reloading stuff in Florida, he would find some for me. A week later he calls in a panic, you can't buy primers, the 223 bullets he found were at a gun show for $1 each, bag of 100 for $100. 22LR $100 for 500 round brick. I'm thinking one day i'll just buy a 223 bullet mold and cast my own bullets. Searched all over the internet and never found a 223 bullet mold for sale.

Two weeks ago our local Walmart had all kinds of 22LR so I bought 2 boxes 325 rounds per box for $18/box. A few days later I return to Walmart and the big boxes of 22 were all gone. I asked a clerk "what's that behind the post". Those were
    1000 rounds of 22 Winchester for $44 so I bought those. A week later all I could find was 50 round boxes of 22LR.

I found 500 box of 223 bullets at Brownells. They cost $22 per 100 bullets so I bought 500. Twice the price as before but much better than $1 per bullet.

Going to get worse before it gets better
    Last edited by jim Glass; 09-11-2020 at 09:28 PM.

Target practice is on hold for now. I hear about bartering for ammo.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I did everything needed to have an acceptable amount of ammo back before the expected corination of Hillary to the throne.

One ammo shortage under the Obama administration, that lasted longer than the dry up of WW2, was enough to teach me the lesson.

The maintenance of scope zeros is about all the "Practice" I get or want any more. I'm not real keen on lots of folks, even at the range, knowing what I own. I slip in, fire two rounds to verify zero and get the he!! out.

It is the same with pistols. Catch the range empty, shoot couple of mags for function check and sight verification and get out.

But I do have advice for all you engaging in "target practice". It is another word for what my grand dad called "wasting ammo".

If you have not figured out sight picture and trigger control by now you ain't going to make any miraculous improvement at this stage of the game. If you have the basics down it is like riding a bicycle, you don't forget it.

Quit wasting ammo!

I still remember back in 2012 when Winnie visited from England. She had not fired a gun in 35 years and set down behind my 98/31 sniper rifle and shot a 1 1/2" five shot group at 100 yards on her first five pulls of the trigger. She was proficient with every rifle I handed her, which was to the count of "several". She also had an instant love affair with a .38 snub-nose revolver which she shot very well. She had never fired a pistol in her life.

If you absolutely, positively have to "practice" buy a good pellet rifle, scope it and shoot inside or in the back yard. Not one of those $100 Walmart specials either, get a good one. That way you get a decent trigger that is worth practicing on and good sights. I have put more lead through my HW30 in the past three years than every other firearm I own combined. It has the best trigger of any gun I own and is super accurate.

Fortunately I have 50 clear feet from the end of the living room, down the hall to the bedroom. A two foot square chunk of plywood with the pellet trap hanging in the middle is adequate for my "practice".

And I can recycle the smashed pellets into cast bullets for anything I own. And yes, one of the things I learned from that ammo shortage was that I needed bullet molds for every gun I own.

BTW Pyrimid Air has a deal where you buy three cans of pellets you get one can free.

https://www.pyramydair.com/?msclkid=...m%2520Overture
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-11-2020 at 11:27 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That's actually a great idea! An air gun would be great for indoor practice too in bad weather.

Mrs. Crash and I still go to the range at least weekly and sometimes multiple days in a week. We enjoy it. We have not approached that "we better start conserving" feeling. For practicing and different drills we did invest in a laser dry fire set up to use in the house.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

[QUOTE=kyratshooter;520594]I did everything needed to have an acceptable amount of ammo back before the expected corination of Hillary to the throne.

One ammo shortage under the Obama administration, that lasted longer than the dry up of WW2, was enough to teach me the lesson.

The maintenance of scope zeros is about all the "Practice" I get or want any more. I'm not real keen on lots of folks, even at the range, knowing what I own. I slip in, fire two rounds to verify zero and get the he!! out.

It is the same with pistols. Catch the range empty, shoot couple of mags for function check and sight verification and get out.

But I do have advice for all you engaging in "target practice". It is another word for what my grand dad called "wasting ammo".

If you have not figured out sight picture and trigger control by now you ain't going to make any miraculous improvement at this stage of the game. If you have the basics down it is like riding a bicycle, you don't forget it.

Quit wasting ammo!

I still remember back in 2012 when Winnie visited from England. She had not fired a gun in 35 years and set down behind my 98/31 sniper rifle and shot a 1 1/2" five shot group at 100 yards on her first five pulls of the trigger. She was proficient with every rifle I handed her, which was to the count of "several". She also had an instant love affair with a .38 snub-nose revolver which she shot very well. She had never fired a pistol in her life.

If you absolutely, positively have to "practice" buy a good pellet rifle, scope it and shoot inside or in the back yard. Not one of those $100 Walmart specials either, get a good one. That way you get a decent trigger that is worth practicing on and good sights. I have put more lead through my HW30 in the past three years than every other firearm I own combined. It has the best trigger of any gun I own and is super accurate.

Fortunately I have 50 clear feet from the end of the living room, down the hall to the bedroom. A two foot square chunk of plywood with the pellet trap hanging in the middle is adequate for my "practice".

And I can recycle the smashed pellets into cast bullets for anything I own. And yes, one of the things I learned from that ammo shortage was that I needed bullet molds for every gun I own.

BTW Pyrimid Air has a deal where you buy three cans of pellets you get one can free.

https://www.pyramydair.com/?msclkid=...m%2520Overture[/QUOTE
    Lol, in my decades of military, state and federal le I’ve never heard don’t practice. Thanks Joe.

Well then shoot it till you run out, then scream about the shortage!

There were once people on this forum that in their youth were rationed shells and faced an empty plate for coming home with no shells and no food.

"Practice" was an unknown luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Well then shoot it till you run out, then scream about the shortage!

There were once people on this forum that in their youth were rationed shells and faced an empty plate for coming home with no shells and no food.

"Practice" was an unknown luxury.
    You condescend like some all knowing Joe. When we know it ain’t. Give it a break.

I do admit to taking two shells to the woods in my youth if I could scrounge them up. I never practiced. Ever. I never spent one day shooting at anything that didn't move until I was an adult. I didn't know what practice was and I don't think I ever heard the term. That is the truth. Dad served in the war and never picked another weapon when he got out so I was on my own when it came to hunting and I was on my own when it came to buying ammo.

Well my "Go To" gunshop... misspoke?!?! No BLK out 300 sub yet. I was fine with everything I had and plinking with .22 and pellets (Even got the Daisy Red Ryder out a few times) until I realized I had finished 2 builds and got stamps for shhhhhhh's and I couldn't test my shhhhhhhh's. And man those short barrels are LOUD!!!

And yeah, the prices on what is coming in is ridiculous.

I have a Crossman pistol with a shoulder stock that I need to rebuild...

Here you go Max, Midway has what you need. $22 plus shipping is not a bad price for a lifetime supply of bullets.

This is a tumble lube bullet so there is no need for sizing dies, gas checks or special gear. Just cast them and roll them in some Lee liquid lube.

It is also heavy at 230 grains so you probably can not push it past sonic in a 300bo. It would give .45 ACP performance at 850fps.

Could also be driven up to 2000+-fps out of any .30 caliber rifle.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010217751?pid=938614