Thread: Hello. New member / plant id

Default Hello. New member / plant id

Hello. New member.

New to foraging. Have a plant prolific in my yard and wonder if it is edible. Can I post a photo here and obtain some help with identifying it?

Thank you
    Dandy
    3AE335FC-A3AE-4C5F-B7CC-E3B5536C66C5.jpg
    Last edited by Dandelion; 08-29-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Looks like the cabbage family, perhaps mustard. You can take it to your county extension office and they can identify it for you. Take the roots and if you have any examples in bloom, the flowers will certainly help. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your kind welcome. I was hoping to find a forum or online place to get an id. I am not near a county extension agent. So sorry.i guess this forum is not where I can find the information I need . Many thanks fo your kind welcome
    Signing off
    Dandy

Don't run because the first response was not what you needed. We do have others that may check in and be able to help you. I'm not that good with plant ID, but it may be broad leaf plantain. Hopefully others will stop in soon.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I know a little about foraging in that I have picked lambs quarters and purslane. I do believe this is a mustard as the first gentleman said. I actually boldly tasted some and it had a slightly mustardy taste. I may see if I can find other sources. I think I know plantain also as the leaves are large like this plant, but longer. I would really like to get good at this!😁. Hoping to find a group who is really adept. I have found some individuals but they offer foraging walks and like to get groups together. But I am the only one I know if in my area. So still trying. I have some apps which you supposedly can use. But they have been a bust! Sorry to chat in. Thank you for your kindness
    Dandy

Boldly tasting things you are not sure of can get you dead. Just sayin'. The first rule of foraging is to never taste anything you are not absolutely certain of. I was pretty certain it was a mustard but just looking at a picture of leaves is not necessarily indicative of what the plant is and I'm not all too keen on telling someone, sure, go ahead and eat that mustard and be wrong. A little caution goes a long way when putting things in your mouth. As I said said, the flowers of plants help immensely. Others will be along that will offer their two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Boldly tasting things you are not sure of can get you dead. Just sayin'. The first rule of foraging is to never taste anything you are not absolutely certain of. I was pretty certain it was a mustard but just looking at a picture of leaves is not necessarily indicative of what the plant is and I'm not all too keen on telling someone, sure, go ahead and eat that mustard and be wrong. A little caution goes a long way when putting things in your mouth. As I said said, the flowers of plants help immensely. Others will be along that will offer their two cents.
    Yes,it us obviously before the point of flowering. I think most edibles are more tender and less strong flavored when they are young before flowering and maturity.!

Still here. Didn't die!

You all have been very kind. I think I had better mosey along to see if I can find some died in the wool foragers(so to speak).

Bye all
    Dandy

I don't think its burdock not too sure. I just had burdock root for the first time dipped in flour and fried in oil. It was surprisingly good for smelling like a weed raw. Tasted much like a potato with another flavor.

Yes, I have had burdock.. Chinese stores sell the roots. It is supposed to be good immune and libido strengthener! Roots are made into a rooty tasting tea..

Pretty sure this is not burdock.

I think if I find any edible food forums ( still have not found what I am looking for)..
    I think if I make any posts I will reassure the responders that I do not take their post as being infallible.
    Then if I nibble on something, thinking it may be something else, the FULL responsibility falls on my shoulders, not on kind responders!

Thanks! I am still thinking that this plant I posted is mustard family. I am sure I will figure it out eventually.
    I will probably return here and finish the thread with whatever findings I uncover.
    This is good and helpful information
    Thank you
    Dandy

I've seen this this plant. But can't remember what it is at the moment. Give me a day or to to check my references before I say it's _______________. But I think Rick is partially correct. I think it's a "cousin" of the cabbage family.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    I've seen this this plant. But can't remember what it is at the moment. Give me a day or to to check my references before I say it's _______________. But I think Rick is partially correct. I think it's a "cousin" of the cabbage family.

Any ideas?

I am almost certain it's a young plantain. Leaf shape and arrangement matches down to a T. plantain.jpg