Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Gotta brag a little...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    1,407

    Default Gotta brag a little...

    Hit the -60# mark today. Last August I weighed in at 265#. Today the scales wouldn't go past 205#. Lots of walking, outdoor work and "push-aways" are what I attribute to the loss. I can put on a pair of 36" waist jeans without unbuttoning them. All my 2X shirts are now "work shirts".

    Alan


  2. #2
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    44,195

    Default

    Well done.....
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  3. #3
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    58,033

    Default

    Congrats and happy birthday. I wear the same size pants now that I did in the 8th grade. I just wear them a lot lower.

    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

  4. #4

    Default

    Congrats Alan! That report could've been mine. Kelly just bought me a pair of 35's in a surf trunk. Fit perfect. I'm stoked. Did 3 miles with the heeler pack today. Keto diet has helped but I'm really tired of it. I think I'm going back to calories in < calories out = weight loss. Now that I can get around making it much easier.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    1,407

    Default

    I've done all the diets and if a guy can stick with them they mostly work. The problem with them, at least for me, is that at some point, after losing some weight I go back to my habits and the whole thing blossoms again...

    I still eat whatever I want but I have simply changed what I want to eat and of course, the amount. Some number of years ago I stopped eating during supper. #1 wife asked me what was wrong. I told her "nothing, I just realized that I'm 60 years old and DO NOT have to clean my plate". Some things are deeply ingrained. It only took me a number of years to break that habit. Another issue was inactivity. My job required NO movement. I could sit at my desk and push paper for 12 hours . Even the trips around campus were not really exercise. Then when I did get home it was just more sitting. Yard work could be done in an hour and I've never been able to exercise regularly just for the heck of it. In the early 90s I was riding my bike 18 miles every morning before school. I was around 200# and could keep taht weight from the bike riding. We moved and the job changed and I'd have had to ride completely around Goliad 3 times to get 18 miles. Plus there were no street lights so riding was limited to daylight hours, which meant .... it didn't happen. Over the next 20 years the 200# went to 285#. I retired and was able to drop 20# because my activity lever went up. A year ago we moved again and my activity level went through the roof and my weight went through the floor.

    I weighed 185# in high school and couldn't gain a pound. I was in all sports and burned lots of calories. Off to college and I started getting my calories from a bottle. It showed.

    Anyway, you gotta do what works. I don't think I could do KETO but if it works for you Max, don't give up on it.

    Other benefits are my BP is lower, sleep apnea is less, and my overall feeling of good health is way up.

    Rick, odd thing, in high school I wore 36" length jeans, then I went to 34s about age 50, Now 32s are dragging in the back. What's up with that?


    Alan

  6. #6
    Senior Member randyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    tip of the mitt
    Posts
    5,251

    Default

    that's awesome
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Phaedrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Last Best Place
    Posts
    1,458

    Default

    That's awesome!

  8. #8
    Senior Member WolfVanZandt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Cool. It'll be like walking without a full pack!

    For me, it doesn't matter what I eat. If I'm walking, I'm losing weight to around 180. If I'm not walking, I'm gaining weight.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

  9. #9
    Senior Member kyratshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe
    Posts
    10,126

    Default

    Back in 2017 I developed type 2 diabetes, so I am on full time KETO by demand. No carbs, no sugar. Yes it sucks but there was no choice.

    My blood sugar does not go just a little high, it goes out the roof, and it does it right now! if someone at a fast food place gives me a regular cola instead of diet it creates a near disaster. I want to keep my fingers and toes, arms and legs and have my eyesight in working order, so I stay on the diet.

    I went from 270 down to 205 in a year. I still need to lose 20 more but I have been on this plateau for 2 years and don't think the last 20 is leaving. That means that with lots of effort and hard work I have worked my way down to morbidly obese.

    Actually on the old military height/weight chart, the one they used when they were paying re-enlistment bonuses, 205 is right at the top weight allowed for a 50 year old of my height, and I am 70.

    Over the years the bone structure of my feet has deteriorated and I can not walk for long distances, so I ride a stationary bike. Since mid-2017 I have put 6000+ miles on that thing! The present one is now worn out and I have a new one on a brown truck somewhere as we speak. It lives in the living room and I ride it while watching in cab choo-choo train videos to make me think I am riding through the alps.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

  10. #10
    Senior Member BENESSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    9,662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Hit the -60# mark today. Last August I weighed in at 265#. Today the scales wouldn't go past 205#. Lots of walking, outdoor work and "push-aways" are what I attribute to the loss. I can put on a pair of 36" waist jeans without unbuttoning them. All my 2X shirts are now "work shirts".

    Alan
    Impressive effort Alan, and worth shouting about from the mountaintop.
    That's where survival starts. If you don't have that in control first, no gear or wilderness skills are going make one bit of difference.

    Plus, looking hot is just a minor side effect you gotta put up with.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    1,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    Cool. It'll be like walking without a full pack!
    No kidding. I was putting a couple of 50# dog food sacks in the truck the other day and I had to walk about 20' from where I picked them up. I was thinking to myself how the heck did I even get around?

    Some years ago I remember seeing a deal on TV about someone who had lost 100# or so. They came out onto the show pulling a wagon with 100# of animal fat piled in it. It was an excellent visual.

    Alan

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    1,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Back in 2017 I developed type 2 diabetes, so I am on full time KETO by demand. No carbs, no sugar. Yes it sucks but there was no choice.

    My blood sugar does not go just a little high, it goes out the roof, and it does it right now! if someone at a fast food place gives me a regular cola instead of diet it creates a near disaster. I want to keep my fingers and toes, arms and legs and have my eyesight in working order, so I stay on the diet.

    I went from 270 down to 205 in a year. I still need to lose 20 more but I have been on this plateau for 2 years and don't think the last 20 is leaving. That means that with lots of effort and hard work I have worked my way down to morbidly obese.

    Actually on the old military height/weight chart, the one they used when they were paying re-enlistment bonuses, 205 is right at the top weight allowed for a 50 year old of my height, and I am 70.

    Over the years the bone structure of my feet has deteriorated and I can not walk for long distances, so I ride a stationary bike. Since mid-2017 I have put 6000+ miles on that thing! The present one is now worn out and I have a new one on a brown truck somewhere as we speak. It lives in the living room and I ride it while watching in cab choo-choo train videos to make me think I am riding through the alps.
    I stuck at 215 for about a month then finally dropped to 210. Another 2 weeks and that scale would not budge below 210 until I stepped off of it. Then it dropped to 205 yesterday. Two years ago I got to "borderline" on my blood sugar. I've got the genes so I knew what was coming. Took me a year to get off my *** and do something about it though.

    I put in 11 hours of solid labor today, with the appropriate water breaks of course. Cooler weather is on the way and I can get in some work exercise.

    Alan

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    1,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Impressive effort Alan, and worth shouting about from the mountaintop.
    That's where survival starts. If you don't have that in control first, no gear or wilderness skills are going make one bit of difference.

    Plus, looking hot is just a minor side effect you gotta put up with.
    #1 wife thinks I'm hot, So, I guess I am! Now I'm bragging too much!

    Alan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •