Thread: Ash repellent

Default Ash repellent

https://www.ancientpages.com/2020/08...s-border-cave/

Well there ya go, I learned something.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This is what happens when you have a bunch of archaeologists from the modern world on a site speculating on what might have been. You wind up with people that call spear points arrow heads and flint flakes "waste".

These guys never saw Jeremiah Johnson. You warm that rock up a bit before you lay your new straw down to sleep. That part of the world can get cold at night.

And the "creepy insects" they are referring too are not crickets and butterflies, they are lice and fleas.

We share a form of body lice with the great apes. They seldom sleep in the same place two nights in a row and avoid a build up of them pests. Only way to get rid of them was to burn the bedding.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Preferably when you were NOT in the bedding. It has been known to happen. More so, modern man.

Man didn't start burning himself up in bed until he invented beer and cigarettes...

Alan

My computer won't go to the site because it cannot be reached from my computer... so, I will have to speculate on the speculation...

I've had some conversations over the years with some folks that

".... call spear points arrow heads and flint flakes "waste"."

They'll insist that a quarter pound rock is an arrow head, until I offer to let them shoot an arrow with one tied to the point. Then they quickly seem to get clear headed about it.

My favorite though is "bird points". As if a guy is going to spend God knows how long straightening, shaping, and fletching an arrow shaft, tie a Perdiz (Maybe it was the name?) point to it and shoot it at a ...... bird. Those points were for getting those sharp little flints inside of deer where they could slice around while it was running away.

I am totally in awe of early man and his ability to put together a set of arrows. I was shooting a long bow for a while and I went through some arrows getting 15 or 20 that would shoot to the same place and those were store boughtn ones. I can't imagine making two uniform much less a quiver full...

Alan

And we won't even mention the loin cover. Gotta have that. Sort of the early equivalent of the hong.