Thread: Stainless Steel

Default Stainless Steel

I have a piece of stainless steel flat bar. I have no idea where it came from or what it was used for. How can I tell if it is knife quality steel (besides making a knife out of it and having it be no good).

I was reading about various tests (spark, acid, etc..) but I thought perhaps you guys knew of a "quick and easy" method...

Alan

The way I test a piece of unknown steel is probably not helpful, but I heat treat it to see if I can get it hard. It's sort of a hit or miss attempt. I did find quite a bit of information which you have probably already seen. These methods are not helpful to me, but may be to you. https://www.weldinghandbook.com/type...dentification/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks Dave. I'll see what it does with a quick heat treatment. If it looks like it's going to harden up I'll proceed. It cuts very easily with a file. I hit it with the grinder in the dark and got a short video. I'll see if I can match it up with the spark test description. I think your suggestion on heat treating a piece to see what it does is the way to go though.

I appreciate the response.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 08-15-2020 at 05:45 AM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If it hardens you can anneal it back to dead soft by heating cherry red and burying it in a bucket of dry sand to cool slowly overnight.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?