Thread: Premade survival kits

Default Premade survival kits

Some of the best pre made survival kits that I have looked at have been by Best Glide , Henry arms , and Eder knives. All I have come across a survival kit from Skinner Sights. The problem with that kit is you have to buy there Copilot take down lever action rifle.
    The first three are very similar they come in a tin, they have very similar components. Now the one from Skinner Sights exclude the rifle. It comes with titan flare storm matches , 750 para cord, USA made magnesium bar , Brunton Tru-Arc compass and the Ontario Rat 7 knife. That kit comes in the take down rifle case.
    Of course the Skinner sights kit includes the take down rifle in calibers from 45-70 thru. 357 magnum. For the high price of $1700.
    All the kits have quality components.
    I myself think these kits are lacking a few things for the price you pay for them.
    The things that I don’t like about the Esee
    The best glide , and the Henry kits are they come with a button compass.
    In a survival situation most likely people my age with not so good eye sight won’t be able to use a button compass. So why not put a quality compass in there kits. Next thing that bothers me about the kits is the types of ferro rods there small almost to small in my opinion. They work . I would rather see a 5” inch x .5” inch ferro rod. Aside from the Esee kit the other two come with a crappy pocket knife.
    Another thing none of the kits have a water filter in them.
    So my next post I’m going to add somethings to these kits . And see what you guys think .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Esee survival kit / tin
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    This is the picture of the Esee kit with all the original contents . The content list is
    The aluminum tin it’s self
    Candiru knife,Swiss army hiker knife,water tabs,Sunto compass,100’ Kevlar line,snare wire, basic fishing kit, quick tender tabs,rescue whistle,duct tape ,red fresnel lens,10’of orange survey tape, 30’of small cordage, there large fire steel,3water bags ,(I’m not sure if it’s 3bags or2)
    Sewing needle with a cordura patch.
    All that for $199 .99 at knifecenter.
    Kit size is = 6.25”x4.0”x 2.5” the kit weighs.25
    What should be done is first the tin should be made bigger. 7.25”x5.0”x3.5”
    Most of the contents will be kept the same . The compass should be replaced by a Cammenga 27 phosphorescent compass. Then what should be added to to the kit is a Aquamira Frontier water filter .
    Also adding to the basic fishing kit should have a fishing yo-yo. Maybe two.
    The kit should not only have the snare wire
    it should have 4 small game snares from southern snares company.
    Next the ferro rod in the kit should be replaced with a lager rod at least 5”x .5”
    I know the kit already cost $199.95
    Just adding the compass is $80
    The water filter is $25 . The larger ferro rod maybe $20 . The yo-yo $10 or less the snares 15 . That would ring the complete kit in at $349 thing is it would be a high quality kit with rugged components that are field proven . You would have extra food procurement. A proven navigational tool . You would think some company would put together a more extensive survival kit . They should also have a trauma module in these kits.
    Also the kits I have mentioned also have a signal mirror . I also think that they should have a pin flare . With 3 flares and a 3 Bear bangers.
    I’m sure a pre made survival kit with the things that I would put in them would make them cost more . But it’s survival even if it is used one time it’s paid for its self

I have decided not-to do all the kits and all there contents . I did the highest priced one and added what I think should go into it. As for the Skinner sights copilot survival kit . I would get rid of the compass . Then it should have in it a survival tin like the Improved Esee type survival tin. Skinner sight company should sell there kit and rifle case with out the rifle. That way a person can add there own rifle or shotgun that they want .
    After doing this and looking up premade survival kits and there contents . In my opinion Bestglide , Esee, Henry are the best premade kits out there .
    Henry also offers a combo of there take down .22 with the survival tin .
    The Skinner Sights copilot survival kit is a good set up and a good start for a harsh and hostile environment. For the price they should have added one of the above survival tins .
    What started all of this is my son told me he wanted to buy a survival kit. So I looked and told him about those . I also told him that he should also think about what he should add to them .
    He stopped by a week later with a cheap UST kit from Dunham’s and a Sawyer mini water filter .
    I gave him my Rat 5 and my compass and water tabs . I also told him that I would help him build a kit.

I think they are marketing gimmicks to get you to buy them. But, hey, that's just me. Do what you want.

I much prefer putting my own together. That way it has what I want, what I need and the ability to use it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

A few years back I took a few short trips out to test some homemade survival kits. Including that stupid Altoid can one that everyone was putting together. Boy did I learn a lot. Lol. My survival kit is still homemade, but it sure doesn't look like it did back then. Sitting in the rain, shivering, trying to get a spark to catch from a firesteel the size of a toothpick changes your perspective on what's "necessary" for you personally. And that's just one of many things. Nothing like first hand experience.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

My survival kit barely fits in a four door Tundra. For two nights I take the trailer.

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Clearly Camper46 has not experienced a "Pot and Machete weekend".

I agree with Alan, a lifetime of camping experience has trimmed my "survival kit" down to the contents of a single Jeep. If a second person goes I have to hitch up the trailer.

Then there is the added consideration that in all of my 70 years, including my time in the military, has a situation ever presented itself where the contents of an Altoids tin filled with junk would have been a life saving item.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Lol. Pretty sure my pot and machete challenges are over. All the Kracs have either suffered through one, heard the stories about them, or were too smart to take me up on one (um... Crash). Unless I traded out like I might this winter. There's a couple of respected survival guys I contacted up here about taking one of their courses. Might basic for me but somehow they had heard about the pot and machete challenge in FL. We might trade one on one challenges in NC and FL. There's always something to learn.

If it ain't worth shoving in a pickup, it ain't worth takin'. My survival kit must be several hundred pounds and contains backups of backups. 2=1, 1=none, you know how it goes. My machete and pot challenge will go no further than the front door. I live by the Bear Grylls motto. "If there's not a Motel 6 nearby, I'm not goin'. And the light had better be on."

Well at least we know where you stand. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If it ain't worth shoving in a pickup, it ain't worth takin'. My survival kit must be several hundred pounds and contains backups of backups. 2=1, 1=none, you know how it goes. My machete and pot challenge will go no further than the front door. I live by the Bear Grylls motto. "If there's not a Motel 6 nearby, I'm not goin'. And the light had better be on."
    Yep, I used to say "My idea of roughing it was a Holiday Inn with a Black&White TV".
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Then there is the added consideration that in all of my 70 years, including my time in the military, has a situation ever presented itself where the contents of an Altoids tin filled with junk would have been a life saving item.
    That's pretty much my view as well. My survival kit is carried in my day pack and is basically a camping kit. It dispenses with most of the luxuries but retains the things that will keep me alive (eg tarp, Helikon-Tex Swagman Roll, knives, fire stuff, cordage, two x 40 oz stainless water bottles, etc).

Premade kits are sometimes a good deal. At one time you could buy the AMK/Doug Ritter PSP cheaper than you could buy the component parts. Same for the SOL Scout Kit. Those are really self contained kits but they have a high quality whistle, good signal mirror, etc cheaper than I can pick those items up on their own.