Thread: Survival vest

Default Survival vest

I’m thinking about makeing a tactical vest into a survival vest . Have any of you done anything like this? If you have how did you set it up ? I could use some ideas .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen it done and it's not a bad idea. I suppose it depends on the weather and environment of your AO. A fishing or photographer's vest might be a little cooler in warmer temps. I'd like to see what you come up with! I suppose I'd use such a vest to keep smaller items like matches, a knife, light, batteries etc and use the larger pockets for a space blanket, etc.

I have decided the type of vest I’m going to use is a MOLLE plate carrier vest minus the plates. That way I have a bank platform . I then from front to back configure it the way I want. With the type of pouches I want and where I want to put them . Plus if the time comes and I feel I need body armor all I will need is the plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago I bought one of those vests from Cabelas that has 24 or 26 pockets. I'm not real sure I found them all and I know I didn't put things in half of them. I think it was called a Safari vest.

I may go dig it out just to count the pockets.

Alan

You just need to count the left side then multiply by two. That should save you some time for coffee.

I found it and started counting but I lost interest around 12. I didn't find any money, just a magnesium fire starter and an old handkerchief so I stopped. I probably won't need it to survive the night unless I start responding to some of the snide remarks about my inactivity this evening....

Alan

Uh oh. That can't be good. Maybe you could use that mag starter (I can't spell magnesium) to start a fire (know what I mean?). Wife #1 would be happy then. I need coffee.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I bought one of those vests and decided to load it up and go fishing.

I soon discovered that it was difficult to wear.

I fell in the water fly fishing and nearly drowned. It gave new meaning to that old "I've fallen and I can't get up" deal.

Fully loaded it put me over the weight limit for my life jacket.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

If I have to wait for my life jacket to save me then I'm not. Oh, hold on. Never mind.

I have tried the vest thing a few ways. Photog vest, hunting vest, fishing vest, urban survival vest. Concept is OK, but with all of them, the weight on the back of my neck made them very uncomfortable for me.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

I've tried them for photography (OK), fishing, and survival. I suck at photography. I love my chest box for fishing. And my survival kit goes in my backpack and pockets in my shorts (Florida). I'm sure vests work great for some people though. Seems like a good idea anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I bought one of those vests and decided to load it up and go fishing.

I soon discovered that it was difficult to wear.

I fell in the water fly fishing and nearly drowned. It gave new meaning to that old "I've fallen and I can't get up" deal.

Fully loaded it put me over the weight limit for my life jacket.
    Did ya remember to take the "plates" out of it front and back??

Kyrat had 12" dinner plates front and back. You can call him anything you want but don't every call him late for dinner.

We have a few members in our group CASARA ( Civil Air Search and Rescue Assoc.) who wear them in the plane since its handier than carrying a kit with you or in a pocket.

We try to avoid having kits that can go missing or burn up in a plane crash so they work OK. When you bail out of the aircraft you have your kit with you.

But also we don't want each of the aircrew to have 30 lbs of gear on them either, we're in 172's for searches so weight is a factor and there are proper survival kits as part
    of the aircraft's load out anyway. The vests have small sub 5 lbs personal kits on them really, so we're not talking about 30 lb packs.

A survival vest?
    I don't own a "survival vest", but I do have a jacket with like, loads of pockets, that I use for various things.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.