Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campfire COFFEE Recomendations PLEASE!

Blog Entries

Default Campfire COFFEE Recomendations PLEASE!

Hello and hey to all my fellow campers and Hikers. For a long time now I have been in the market for a good campfire coffee. Now understand, I like a rost a bit on the strong side. I have done french PRESS method, I do enjoy grinding my coffee grounds. Most days will do two 9 oz. cups before I'm done. I have for the last two years fallen into enjoying the COWBOY coffee way of cooking over a campfire. That is bring the water to a bowl and then adding grounds and letting it roll over and over without bowling over. Then a splash of cold water on top as this will make the coffee grounds dropdown.

But now I'm just looking for "taste" adding just a pinch of salt. Please any SUGGESTIONS on a brand as I'm truly open to ideas?

I don't like weak tasting coffee. strong dark rich flavor nice small. But not so strong your mouth carries a black lickerish kind of taste all day.
    Last edited by DogMan635; 07-17-2020 at 09:38 AM.
    The Wilderness for myself has always been a place, I can escape to and discover my stronger self. A true builder of self-confidence and skills, I never knew we're possible within me to achieve. A tough taskmaster breakdown my self-limits and barriers. I have overcome and found my inner self, leaving behind only the old skin, blood, and sweat, having won a newer stronger self. The Wilderness shows me a better reflection of myself.
    by Dogman.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I did notice that the Death Wish people only say "strongest coffee you ever had" and not best coffee you ever had.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I've used both......often. Love em both.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

While we're on the subject...Has anyone used one of those new fangled camp drip coffee makers? Slickdrip? It folds down. I think UST makes a version and there are probably others. I've never used one but it looks interesting.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Medaglia Doro instant espresso..
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I recent years I don't camp far from the truck, so I just take an electric coffee maker and plug it into the inverter. I like Community Coffee.

There's strong coffee and there's strong tasting coffee. A lighter roast has more caffein and darker roasts have less. I tend toward medium these days.

Cowboy Coffee is a last resort.

But,

There WILL be coffee in the mornings.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    While we're on the subject...Has anyone used one of those new fangled camp drip coffee makers? Slickdrip? It folds down.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    That looks extremely useful and could be added to the other necessary things in the truck console. What's it called?

Alan

Blog Entries

Crashdive123, funny as the first link was a SHOCKER as that is my daily go to each morning. Had mixed up some espresso in my last order and felt I needed a change. Thanks to everyone for getting back to me on this. KIND OF INTERESTING Death Wish, I have kind been on my cafe Bustelo for many years now..I like stuff within easy reach most of the time. But as you selected my go to I think I will give this one a try. Thanks to everyone on suggestions...... lol

Pete Linch, as for Medaglia Doro instant espresso, I may try without the espresso kicker if possible being added. I just searched for a link and this stuff looks very interesting and seems it only comes as an espresso here is the link: https://www.bing.com/search?q=medagl...176e2745ccc0b4 and may be a bit too strong for me. But what the heck I'll give it a try..

I have only been doing espresso in my Cuban coffee with some cuban bread toast.

Rick,As for adding some changes in my coffee making, not at this time. As I'm working of a new taste fist before changing my setup, but thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks again for all the suggestions... nice
    Last edited by DogMan635; 07-19-2020 at 08:31 AM.
    The Wilderness for myself has always been a place, I can escape to and discover my stronger self. A true builder of self-confidence and skills, I never knew we're possible within me to achieve. A tough taskmaster breakdown my self-limits and barriers. I have overcome and found my inner self, leaving behind only the old skin, blood, and sweat, having won a newer stronger self. The Wilderness shows me a better reflection of myself.
    by Dogman.

Slickdrip. It uses a standard coffee filter. Here's a short vid for you.

Well, that was pretty darn cool!

Alan

At your service, sir.

I am so into Death Wish! It's perfect for me, strong enough but doesn't have this terrible too bitter taste as other strong cofee. You can also try El Vaquero, it's good too, but I like Death Wish more because it has better smell and tinge.

I go with Folgers coffee grounds medium roast at home and camping alike.i also go with instant every once in a while..i'll use the camp stove,or campfire when camping.i need to locate one of those giant perculators they used on trail rides.
    Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.

Big thing to consider is what kind of brew or grind. Found a German LTC trying to make coffee in a Mister Coffee using Commissary-bought AmericaN coffee. He wanted German tasting coffee and filled the filter and coffee box to overflowing (which explained the "spills" that had been occurring). The morale of this true story is that you can make "Turkish coffee" (a courser grind than American), but not using America-grind coffee.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

I like the Death Wish coffee and Black Rifle coffee equally well. Great robust flavor without the acidic bitter taste many coffees seem to have now days. I can barely tolerate Maxwell House nor Folgers anymore. Community coffee is okay, but weak on flavor.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I like to make coffee cowboy style the run it through a strainer to remove the grounds. Works pretty good. I prefer a medium roast or a breakfast blend.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Add a little cold water around the inside of your coffee pot and those grounds will settle out.

ah bustelo i grew up on that, along with rice and beans
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

Well the real person you want answering this is my father, he is a coffee connoisseur. But since he doesn't visit this site, your stuck with his only son <---------

For everyday coffee drinking, I use 2 scoops each of Maxwell House, Folgers, Chuck Full of Nuts, and I brew it on Bold Brew settings. For Cappuccino Folgers & Café du Monde, and Espresso just Café du Monde.

Café du Monde has the extra ingredient, Chicory.

You can add Chicory or bitters to your coffee too.

Not too far away is a market called Food Bazaar, and they have rows of coffee beans from around the world to try.

If you are set in your ways and enjoy a particular bean, but want a darker or more robust flavor, buy a coffee bean roaster.

Oh, and Rick, in my part of the woods, we call that a Pour Over coffee maker.