Thread: At what point would age become a factor?

Blog Entries

Default At what point would age become a factor?

While age is what we all do over time whether we want to or not. But at what part of the aging process would age become an issue for an extended longer than a normal day out hiking and backpacking? I've seen some in there 90s walking in national parks and I assume its a day hike, with friends maybe.

So, what would be some "concerns to address" as we can not always lean on doctors, for just the physical health side of the issue. We have mothers and Fathers who started eachone of us own outdoor trips. I know family history can pay apart but not always. Warning signs, can't be forgetfulness as I'm afraid we almost all would fall into that worry.

I'm very much a solo hiker and always tell anyone asking, say a newbies unless you have some training don't risk it. An adventure can easily turn into that untold story. So if you want yourstory told don't go it alone. Please NEVER, hike or camp alone. And never think the person with the map and compass has all the information needed. Ask questions and know where you are. Consider having and knowing how to understand your own personel GPS.

Until I had way more than normal losses in my life, in a very short span of time along with other stress issues. At the very moment, I could not see, what I today call brain fog. Trust me when I tell you you can not see it, when you're in a brain fog. I explain that it took seven layers to lift from me that I saw so light, I was, more alert, and starting to respond faster to questions. I don't want to drift much into this point.

Our focus and my question are to address others who maybe out of step. But closer still is seeing our selves out of step. Being that way can really get you hurt or worse. So I'm asking, what would help to take notice in ourselves to avoid trouble with friends of our selves outdoors?

Can we ask folks are you Biloplar, do you have fears of things, what can we and what cant we ask? ourselves or others?

In life its not importent what happens to you that matteres. But rather, its importent what happen's to you as a result of what has happened that dose truly matter...
    Last edited by DogMan635; 07-16-2020 at 12:35 PM.
    The Wilderness for myself has always been a place, I can escape to and discover my stronger self. A true builder of self-confidence and skills, I never knew we're possible within me to achieve. A tough taskmaster breakdown my self-limits and barriers. I have overcome and found my inner self, leaving behind only the old skin, blood, and sweat, having won a newer stronger self. The Wilderness shows me a better reflection of myself.
    by Dogman.

Age isn't the determining factor. It's health and physical condition. You can be 20 years old and in bad health or have joint issues and be limited on how far you can travel. Conversely, you can be 80 and travel for days if your health and physical condition are good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Age isn't the determining factor. It's health and physical condition. You can be 20 years old and in bad health or have joint issues and be limited on how far you can travel. Conversely, you can be 80 and travel for days if your health and physical condition are good.
    Wonderful and well stated Rick, and I toltally agree with what you said. I had returned here after thinking about the post and maybe using concered rather than AGE. But that also just addresses what a Doctor would do. How can someone get into there own head?
    Last edited by DogMan635; 07-16-2020 at 12:55 PM.
    The Wilderness for myself has always been a place, I can escape to and discover my stronger self. A true builder of self-confidence and skills, I never knew we're possible within me to achieve. A tough taskmaster breakdown my self-limits and barriers. I have overcome and found my inner self, leaving behind only the old skin, blood, and sweat, having won a newer stronger self. The Wilderness shows me a better reflection of myself.
    by Dogman.

What Rick said.

Also it isn't the years but the mileage.

I felt bad the entire 20 years I was in Selma (allergies and mold) but nothing stopped me. Then I moved to Colorado.

The allergies aren't nearly as bad but I've had a serious illness every year that's put me on my back for a week. Each time, I don't get all my energy back.

It still hasn't stopped me but 30 mile endurance hikes have dropped to 20 miles.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I completely agree with the preceding comments. Chronological age matters little when physical and, perhaps more importantly, mental. I am now past my prime in both categories (mostly due to my misspent youth).
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880