Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS Help Please 07/12/2020

Blog Entries

Default GPS Help Please 07/12/2020

I sometimes wish these tech guys would take a year vacation. I say this as it seems about every five years some new update comes up which changes software and costs $100s-of dollars for updates. I'm very much old school when it comes to TECH STUFF. But I do own and use a few car GPS.

I'm thinking of maybe just using my iPhone, but do have some privacy issues. I did a search here in the forum and was unable to find anything for a "Handheld GPS" something that could provide both my location, if I needed help and something I could use the find a hiking trail, path and hopefully not leading me over a cliff's edge haha or maybe point to point. I don't know what to ask you about them. On my outdoor adventures, I'm still very much maps and compass when trailing over land.

Something relatively simple to use with large fonts and day-night usage?

Please no guessing or I think this would serve you well kind of stuff. Someone who truly knows and understands this would be most helpful. or maybe brands for me to checkout Thanks in Advance for any help given.

ANY SUGGESTIONS THANKS
    Last edited by DogMan635; 07-12-2020 at 04:03 PM.
    The Wilderness for myself has always been a place, I can escape to and discover my stronger self. A true builder of self-confidence and skills, I never knew we're possible within me to achieve. A tough taskmaster breakdown my self-limits and barriers. I have overcome and found my inner self, leaving behind only the old skin, blood, and sweat, having won a newer stronger self. The Wilderness shows me a better reflection of myself.
    by Dogman.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Most people do just use their smartphones, down loading the apps that meet their needs. In fact, most of the world has gone to navigating with their smart phones. There are people traveling around the world on motorcycles right now that are using mapping apps on their phones to make their way through Siberia, Mongolia and the Andes mountains.

There is also another option and that is a Garmin Inreach. You can carry the device and also down load the maps from the device to your phone.

Rather that try to explain all of it I will link you to a young lady with more use experience than me. She has hiked the AT, the CDT and the PCT as well as the Comino Santiago in the past six years and has her own opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_26...index=5&t=218s

There is a world of information and advertising on the internet. A simple google search or a you-tube search will get you dozens of hits from people hiking, motorcycle traveling, geocaching and just plain roaming about.

As for privacy issues?? Really?? If they want you they will find you. I heard about a satellite they have that can track your DNA signature and trace your pheromones.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-12-2020 at 08:10 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I understand your privacy concerns but your phone is being track each time it changes cell towers. I use the cell phone app WAZE. I think it works quite well and since it allows user input you get real time reports of road hazards, accidents and police along your route.

I had a Garmin NUVI that I like very well. It did an excellent job. That model is dated and there are newer ones available but it still works. I've given it to my grand daughter. She uses WAZE as well but she has the Garmin. I have GPS in my truck. She does not have GPS in her car.

I also have a handheld Garmin GPS, which I like. I take it with me to the woods.

If you want to provide first reponders with your location and you have an iPhone then go to your compass app. Depending on what model iPhone you have and/or what software version you are running it might well be different than mine. However, It may be in your Utilities or Extras folder. It will probably be in the same folder as your contact app and your Find My app.

Select the compass. Once the compass comes up you will see a direction below the compass such as 344° N or similar. Below that will be a series of numbers such as:
    40°4’40” N 86° 3’54” W. These number are read as:
    40 degrees, 4 minutes, 40 seconds North, 86 degrees, 3 minutes, 54 seconds West.

This is your exact location. If you provide this information to any first responder, they will know exactly where you are.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Got through her most informative video and learned that for finding your way Garmin is the way to go. The downside is cost over time more than my cellular at $350. and then a yearly service plan over $100. The spot looks good, but only if I should need to call for help can not help me find my way. The downside, I need to review further as it appears on the spot you just push a button for help and that could be BAD NEWS if you hit by accident. Thanks for your feedback. As for the phone, I'm in the woods to be alone and don't want to bring the world into the woods with me. Hard to explain, some of us like living in total privacy, sorry you do not understand. I like the feeling of being free.
    The Wilderness for myself has always been a place, I can escape to and discover my stronger self. A true builder of self-confidence and skills, I never knew we're possible within me to achieve. A tough taskmaster breakdown my self-limits and barriers. I have overcome and found my inner self, leaving behind only the old skin, blood, and sweat, having won a newer stronger self. The Wilderness shows me a better reflection of myself.
    by Dogman.

Whatever happened to that old first, and simplest, rule of safety?

The one that said tell someone where you were going so that when you didn't get back at the agreed time they could send help. We have whole threads on that one around here somewhere.

That way you can avoid having your picture taped to store windows or the ceaseless news bulletins telling people to be on the lookout for the guy the family can not find.

As for going to the woods to be alone and not bringing the cell phone, well why bring the compass, or knife or saw. They are tools. If you don't want to use the cell phone turn it off. It never ceases to amaze me how folks allow those things to take possession of their free will, as if there was a law that said you had to use if you have it.

It is the same thought process the anti-gun mob uses; It's alive! It has a will of its own!

You are not compelled to use it, just like you are not compelled to cut a tree down with the saw, cut with the knife, or kill something just because you brought a gun.

You can sit there with the battery pulled out of the thing and not use it until you need it, just like being able to unload the gun and turn it into just another inert object.

Yep................
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Due to another issue with someone who, through no fault of their own, was getting lost .... I put my phone, #1 wife's phone and her brother's phone on Life 360. It is a major intrusion into privacy, but, so is having to call the search party to find someone who has wandered off and doesn't even know they've wandered off...

Consequently, now my whereabouts are the push of a button away. But, that's okay because I know that help is that far away too.

Also, the apps, whatever they are only tattle on where your phone is, not where you are....

Alan

Blog Entries

Folks and fellow members you all have valid points but you won't understand. It's wonderful that it has all worked out well for you. I'm a true loaner and enjoy my free time away and alone time. I stopped making and having friendships years ago. My wife gets it and it took a while. We have no friends, well me mostly. I have family grandchildren whom I have not seen in years. I don't do weddings or funerals anymore for anyone. I have not seen my family in what wow about 12 to 15-years. I have learned a phone has numbers on both ends. Some people don't call me for a time. So I don't call looking for them. If I get a new phone oh well, nothing says I need to reach out. I don't try to keep up with childhood friends. I don't chase after people. I don't do weddings, newborns. People come people go that is life. The outdoors have always let me alone and just be there. I don't bother the trees, rivers and they do bother me. We just get along together but apart. I am getting older and that is a concern for my wife and until I can work something out in my mind that works I won't be going anywhere soon. But I do so love 4 or 5 AM walks in the woods or setting in a tree. I have been doing it for years. Hard for me to explain and no matter what I say you won't get it and I'm fine no problem. I just feel this inner need to get away to think and not being attached to my phone is good for me, I can no reach back to talk. But this SPOT thing may give my wife peace of mind. Just something for me to look into. GARMIN has too many issues. Trust me this is not easy to explain to anyone who is not a private person. Some say I'm missing out on life. sorry seen all the life in the world I care to see. I like and enjoy my freedom away and I enjoy my time away with myself or wife if she goes along. I don't reach out and talk to strangers.
    Last edited by DogMan635; 07-13-2020 at 11:20 PM.
    by Dogman.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Whatever happened to that old first, and simplest, rule of safety?

The one that said tell someone where you were going so that when you didn't get back at the agreed time they could send help. We have whole threads on that one around here somewhere.My wife will if we go together and I tell her where and when I will return has workout out well for years.

That way you can avoid having your picture taped to store windows or the ceaseless news bulletins telling people to be on the lookout for the guy the family can not find.

As for going to the woods to be alone and not bringing the cell phone, well why bring the compass, or knife or saw. They are tools. If you don't want to use the cell phone turn it off. It never ceases to amaze me how folks allow those things to take possession of their free will, as if there was a law that said you had to use if you have it.Why to hard to explain, you seem way to attached to this world and what is in the world. I'm not that attached and enjoy my time away alone unattached to others.

It is the same thought process the anti-gun mob uses; It's alive! It has a will of its own!NO way, NOT my thing and not the same at all.

You are not compelled to use it, just like you are not compelled to cut a tree down with the saw, cut with the knife, or kill something just because you brought a gun.WOW you seem to have a hard time understanding people, just wanting to be FREE and left alone or being alone. That is your thing, not mine.

You can sit there with the battery pulled out of the thing and not use it until you need it, just like being able to unload the gun and turn it into just another inert object.
    NO, I can not do that as having a cellular phone makes calling someone to easy and at that critical point, and it goes dead. NOT FUN. You have your way of dealing with things and I have my own. FOr me to think clearly I need a place and lots of space. The same is true for Bill Gates, watch Netflix "INSIDE BILLS BRAIN". Everyone has there own ways to work out issues. That is all, that it is time and space to clear your head and work out an issue. I'm no mind reader, my mind is not one many would want to read anyway. The phone to me is having an unwanted mouth peace and I don't want that. I may say something I would regret or the phone battery would go. It is what it is and I'm a grown man starting to think this thread has gone way out into the left field. I just don't want a phone. But this SPOT may be all I need, to give my wife some peace of mind. Thanks for your concern but its not as crazy as you may be thinking. It's Okay I'll work something out.
    Last edited by DogMan635; 07-14-2020 at 12:03 AM.
    by Dogman.

I guess all of that begs the question..............why are you here and why did you ask?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I guess all of that begs the question..............why are you here and why did you ask?
    Good Question and maybe the best yet. Like all of you, I'm not getting any younger and I state this a few times above already. Over the past few years, I have noticed my body slowing down on me and so has my wife. My cellular-phone has contact features I don't care for "when I want to be alone to think". I know I need something to give my wife and myself some peace of mind. In a post a few days back I read about Garmin for showing direction points to points and the ability to notify someone from the trail but no conversations. I did a search both here and on the web learning little. My best resource in this group's expertise and knowledge about something? As my eyes are getting old, looking through my magnifying glass on my compass to read the directions of travel is becoming difficult. Even with my glasses on I still need to enlarge my fonts on this computer. Now having something I can TRUST to find my way and give an alert should I have a problem is not a bad idea. Asking this question as I know tech stuff is like NEW for a year and something newer has taken its place. Garmin can operate for 100-hours before needing a charge. Watching the video was very informative. But I think SPOT would serve me much better but I need to do some more research before hitting a trail in Utah, Texas, or Florida anytime soon. So, in short, I'm looking into some possible options, but not a phone... I know the iPhone has some wonderful features like medical alerts, SOS, and GPS features. But it's that calling thing, that bothers me when I'm out and on a trail trying to think. This SPOT thing I do need to do more research but seems to be the way I may go. Thanks for your question. In my younger days, I had much more get up and go. Today I do more planning before a trip and my wife has always had a copy of my map and trail. So I will work something out that works, I just don't care for having a phone along with me on a trip. When I'm out I don't have to hear the world or bring it with me into the woods. It's a wonderful feeling being alone on a trail. The only thing that bothers me is looking up and seeing a JET vaper trail to know I'm not alone or a passing hiker. Hiking with others has its issues, some walk as if there running almost, talk way too much. If they are worried about bears sneaking up, there are other things you can do. I've used a canine whistle on a bear about 100-yards away and watched them stop and move away quickly. I have never seen anything in print about the canine whistle and bears. So I'm not making any recommendations as that could have been a group of other hikers. When I don't hear the birds I know something is close and most of the time its other hikers moving through. But I'm strongly considering the SPOT.

Blog Entries

If you have a Phone, here is an APP for your phone and some helpful disaster TIPS: before and after an emergency: https://www.ready.gov/be-informed [/B]
    Last edited by DogMan635; 07-14-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Blog Entries

This one SPOT gen 3, seems to be doable for me. Still need a service Plan for the text message one-way preformed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCS9WABgzUg
    by Dogman.

That calling thing can be turned off and on as needed. The iPhone has a great compass on it that is easily read even with tired old eyes like mine. To each his own.

Blog Entries

That calling thing can be turned off and on as needed. The iPhone has a great compass on it that is easily read even with tired old eyes like mine. To each his own.
    Because it's there I will be tempted to use the iPhone. Not having, I won't bring the outside world into my world of PRIVACY.
    by Dogman.

Back in the day, before any of this stuff existed, I'd leave an itinerary for #1 wife.

1. Launch at Doc's Dock.
    2. Little jetties.
    3. Big jetties.
    4. Bird Island.
    5. Saluria Bayou
    6. Grass Island, south side.
    7. Army Hole
    8. Pringle Lake

If we start catching in any of those places We probably won't keep going. If a storm blows up we'll be on the lee side of an island with a fire going. If we're not back before dark we're on an island with a fire going eating hardheads.

If we're not back the next day DON'T CALL THE COAST GUARD, call Donald and tell him where we went.

She wasn't much concerned about me, but she wanted her boys back.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by DogMan635 View Post
    Because it's there I will be tempted to use the iPhone. Not having, I won't bring the outside world into my world of PRIVACY.
    Dogman if you are in the woods you are not going to have cell service anyway.

The only places where there is reliable service is in urban areas and along the interstate highways. I live in a rural area, about 2 miles from the interstate in the hills of KY and I get 1 bar on a good day. Meaning that I can send out a text but seldom send or receive voice. Sometimes the text does not get through for 24 hours. Another mile back from the highway and there is nothing, however, my downloaded apps still work as does my GPS on the phone.

The Iphone out in the woods is a miniature computer storing your maps and navigation apps. It can also contain plant and animal recognition software, whole books on woodcraft, tracking, and emergency preparedness.

In the process of the aging deal one of the things I have lost is the ability to walk for any distance, so my hiking into the back country has ended.

I still like to camp but my camping is now of the drive-in nature. Bit I don't just drive-in to many of my campsites in the Jeep. I also ride motorcycles and I have started using the motorbike as a pack mule, and it is the type of bike that can get me into places where my Jeep would tremble and protest.

Right up there on the handle bars sits a GPS and my phone dialed into the GPS app to back up the dedicated GPS.

Not being way back in the woods is not that big a deal for me since I finally discovered that no matter where I go I can sit down for that "quiet time" and still hear vehicles pass on the roads that surround the patch of woods I have retreated too. That is a by product of living in the eastern U.S.

That was one of the things that irritated the crap out of me on the Appellation Trail. You could hike all day and think you were in the middle of nowhere and sit down at a shelter for the night and hear a vehicle pass somewhere down the mountain.

Alone time??? I don't need any more of that than I have. My wife died 10 years ago and my family lives hundreds of miles away. Then a virus came along and eliminates me meeting up with friends or having any normal social interactions.

I have all the stinking alone time I can stand!

That is why I am sitting at the computer conversing with someone that is typing in all bold print and don't really want to be talked too, but just keeps coming back.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-15-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Back in the day, before any of this stuff existed, I'd leave an itinerary for #1 wife.

1. Launch at Doc's Dock.
    2. Little jetties.
    3. Big jetties.
    4. Bird Island.
    5. Saluria Bayou
    6. Grass Island, south side.
    7. Army Hole
    8. Pringle Lake

If we start catching in any of those places We probably won't keep going. If a storm blows up we'll be on the lee side of an island with a fire going. If we're not back before dark we're on an island with a fire going eating hardheads.

If we're not back the next day DON'T CALL THE COAST GUARD, call Donald and tell him where we went.

She wasn't much concerned about me, but she wanted her boys back.

Alan
    Alan,

what has this got to do with a GPS?
    by Dogman.

Well, it goes hand in hand with GPS. If you plan to travel anywhere you had better leave your itinerary with someone trusted. GPS can give you your route of travel, your location and even store where you have been. However, if you get into trouble, since you don't carry a phone, leaving your itinerary with someone is the only way anyone will know you didn't make it to your destination. Your thoughts on SPOT are good just remember it is an electronic device and like any electronic device can fail. The old methods still work.