Thread: asemery, a question

Default asemery, a question

There is no doubt about it, YOU are the "Knot Guy". Since joining this forum I have marveled at the depth and breadth of your knowledge of knots and tying. I have tried to duplicate some of your work but always fall short.

I have made it through some 65 odd years with a few, just a few kinds of knots. The square knot, the cinch knot (for fishing), The Horse knot (that's just what we called it, I don't know the proper name), the Bowline Hitch (I use this one a lot), the sheep shank (and some modifications), the half hitch, The "Granny" knot (which I always tie, on the first try at a square knot) and the timeless "hatchet knot".

While these have served the purposes they were assigned, most of the time... my question is this (and you may have been asked before):

In your opinion, if a grandfather was going to teach his grandsons the five or ten knots they would have to have to do most things in life,

What would they be?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

You can't go wrong in teaching youngsters how to tie, in no particular order
    Bowline - Secure loop that will not stretch under strain
    Larks head knot - Makes a loop that can be tied in bight (you don't need the ends)
    Water knot - join two ends of line
    Gnat hitch - Tie line to fixed object
    Taut line hitch - useful while camping
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

Great question, an amazingly useful answer for all times.

I'll start practicing!

I'll have one grandson here tomorrow. We'll start with some easy ones like the Larks Head and Bowline. The Gnat Hitch and Water Knot will be a little more advanced after some success with the others. He will like the Taut Line Hitch since he likes to make tents out of anything he can make a tent out of.

Thanks for the advice. Who knows he may make the next "Knot Guru"!

Alan