Thread: 76 Years Ago Today

Default 76 Years Ago Today

76 Years ago today men stormed ashore on the beaches of France. The price of freedom isn't free. Let us remember that.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Amen brother.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Most people today cannot imagine doing what those guys did. If they made it ashore, If they made it across the beach, If they got through the wire, If they got to the top of the bluff, ... then the fighting began. The paratroopers, the gliders, thousands of men killing and being killed....

Absolutely incredible, engaged in the age old battle of good and evil, freedom vs. tyranny. A battle to the death. And IF they got through the whole thing, they came home to rebuild America after a depression, and they did it well. They knew what determination and and perseverance was and they translated the iron will to fight, kill and survive into building the greatest nation the world has ever known.

I have the 1911-A1, the holster, and mag pouch that was carried by my grandfather in the Pacific. It is one of my most prized possessions. It represents an era when people did what they had to do regardless of the cost, the hardship, or the duration. They made it happen.

Alan

Once upon a time our country was made of men like that. So proud but also sad to see how low we've sunk.

Not one organization in the media is a "news" organization. They've become a "push our agenda" organization. We have entered a truth desert and we are much worse for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Most people today cannot imagine doing what those guys did. If they made it ashore, If they made it across the beach, If they got through the wire, If they got to the top of the bluff, ... then the fighting began. The paratroopers, the gliders, thousands of men killing and being killed....

Absolutely incredible, engaged in the age old battle of good and evil, freedom vs. tyranny. A battle to the death. And IF they got through the whole thing, they came home to rebuild America after a depression, and they did it well. They knew what determination and and perseverance was and they translated the iron will to fight, kill and survive into building the greatest nation the world has ever known.

I have the 1911-A1, the holster, and mag pouch that was carried by my grandfather in the Pacific. It is one of my most prized possessions. It represents an era when people did what they had to do regardless of the cost, the hardship, or the duration. They made it happen.

Alan
    I have a Remington rand 1911 from Iwo Jima. Carried by a relative. It needs a total rebuild to be a shooter. Those guys had some brass.

My grandfather didn't talk to me much about the war. He probably talked more about it to my dad, but now all those stories are gone forever. The pistol is in great shape. The holster and ammo pouch are a bit worn. He was an engineer building airstrips on islands so the pistol probably didn't get much use as such. Certainly not as much as those guys who hit the beaches and rooted out the tunnels and caves.

Alan

Finally found the picture.

Alan

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I tried to get dad to let me film his story but he would have no part of it. It would have been a wonderful gift for my grandkids. Like you, that story is gone forever with the exception of the very few stories I know and can share. He said he lived it once, no need to do it again. I respected that but so much of history is gone with him.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I have a Remington rand 1911 from Iwo Jima. Carried by a relative. It needs a total rebuild to be a shooter. Those guys had some brass.
    Rebel, .45 parts are cheap and plentiful, you should take that rebuild project on. All the mechanical veterans need love too.

Like many others, my connections to the war are all now gone, but I did manage to get some history from my FIL, but only after I had done my time in the Army and he felt I could relate.

He had been lying listening to the radio in his barracks at Ft. Dix when the announcement of the attack on Pearl came onto the radio. Assigned to the 1st Division, he had been in North Africa (bronze Star at Kasirine pass), Sicily, Italy, Normandy(a silver star) and the final German push(got his purple heart then). He was in Czechoslovakia when the war ended. Did not get home until nearly 1947.

My BIL (age 12) had once gotten into his foot locker in the attic, in the classic method of discovery, and he showed me some of the loot; flags, the trophy pistol taken from the German officer, the medals and letters of commendation. When I explained the medals to him and my wife they were astounded, and did not realize he had them. He had never talked to the family about his experiences.

I am very glad he can not see what has happened to the country he gave up his youth to preserve.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Boy, ain't that the truth.

Salute to those men! If it weren't for them, our freedom wouldn't have been enjoyed. Thanks to them, we get to enjoy the lives that we dream of such as living happily in our home to simple things like playing *******.
    Last edited by Rick; 08-03-2020 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Stupid Spammer

You, sir, are about the lowest slug we've had on here in some time. To use this thread to spam the forum is pretty low. The Philippine Islands were wrested from the Japanese by Philippine commandos and Allied soldiers but then you probably have no understanding of history nor do you care. Living in mom's basement doesn't afford you the luxury of understanding history.

What a POS......even more so than most spammers.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel