Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire Ants!

Default Fire Ants!

Fire Ants!
    « on: Today at 04:34:44 PM »
    ReplyQuoteModifyModifyRemoveRemove
    I was feeling pretty good about my Fire Ant annihilation program, until this last rain and until I read up a little on their biology.

I was killing them like I would kill bees. Evidently it works, but not as well as I thought it did. In the last two days I've treated no less than 100 mounds in my yard with a mixture of granules from two famous ant killers from Home Depot (I don't remember what they were). I disturb the heck out of them with a cultivator fork and then pour the granules on them. It seemed to be killing them fine until two days ago. The mounds I treated yesterday still had ants in them this morning.

As I understand it there are a good number of ants in a mound that are capable of becoming a queen and starting a colony on their own and there are multiple queens in most mounds laying up to 1500 eggs/day.

It's a wonder they haven't taken over the Earth.

Alan

Fire Ant baits may take up to a week to achieve colony elimination with the proper bait. Anything other than bait will seem like you are chasing them around the yard. The reason for that is that the colonies are large....very large. The mound that you see is sort of like an egress point for the colony. Think of it this way.....every day the ant foreman assigns tasks and sends out the workers. If you use something with a quick kill, at the end of the day the foreman realizes that no ants have come back from the egress point. He just assigns ants to make a new one (hence the chasing the ants theory). Baits will kill the entire colony, but it may take up to a week or more.

I hate Fire Ants.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Here's a little factoid about Fire Ants..... A Fire Ant weighs about 1/100th of an ounce. All of the Fire Ants in the world weigh about 10 times more than all of the people in the world.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So, do you have a bait preference? I'm going to town tomorrow.

Alan

I hope they don't form an alliance with the Murder Hornets!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    So, do you have a bait preference? I'm going to town tomorrow.

Alan
    There are two that I used regularly with good results. Advion Fire Ant Bait and Maxforce Fire Ant Bait. If you can't find those, most baits probably will work.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That right there is just ONE of the reasons I don't live in the south. One. Fire ants. They are on the list. The very long list. Sell the ranch, Alan. Fire ants are going to take over the world. Your only hope is to become a Yankee.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    .... become a Yankee.
    I'm pretty sure that is the Eighth Cardinal Sin.

Alan

Suit yourself. It's just a matter of time.

Uh, Rick. Yankeeland is part of the world.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Yeah but we don't have fireants, pythons, dinosaurs, gambian rats, formosa termites, monkeys (not the primate kind anyway), nile monitor........I CAN keep going.

Yeah, but you've got .... Yankees...

Alan

A slight inconvenience I am willing to put up with. So far, Yankees do not burn me, bite me, sting me or eat me...so far.

The South is like being in an Indiana Jones movie...What fun!? And what better place to learn survival skills!?
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

This would be things going bad in Indiana. Unless you're dressed like a carrot, you're in pretty good shape.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

That old guy needs to quite playing around.. he might hurt that little lizard.

On the other hand, all I can think of with the other one is... fried rabbit, rabbit gumbo, rabbit sautéed with onions, BBQed rabbit, roasted rabbit, potatoes and rabbit, chicken fried rabbit, rabbit stew, rabbitkabobs, .....

Alan

We do have a Yankee Town. It's a nice place on the west coast

But they have fire ants and gators
    ...salt water crocs coming soon. Oh yeah then there's those pesky snakes.

There are a lot of things I miss about the South...some of the people, storms, waterfalls, the Appalachians, I know where a lot of good restaurants are.

But what's keeping me away is summer weather and mosquitoes.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    There are two that I used regularly with good results. Advion Fire Ant Bait and Maxforce Fire Ant Bait. If you can't find those, most baits probably will work.
    I couldn't find either of those in the stores but i did see them online. I got some Amdro bait and tried some of it. We'll see.

Alan