Thread: where to wilderness trek/camp near Pensacola, FL

Default where to wilderness trek/camp near Pensacola, FL

Hello all...have enjoyed (tame) camping all my life...passed on to children and then grandchildren...lately decided to step up my game and "broaden my awareness horizons". have been watching experts on youtube, reading different books, have been practicing knots at home...tried out rapid ridgeline set up in backyard...have been slowly building up basic pack/equipment for solo trekking...

my question of the day...where/how do I find suitable property for wilderness trekking? just looking for 2-day overnighters for now...using basic land nav techniques (preplanning route with topo map, ranger beads, pace counting, etc) setting up camp with tarp/ridgeline, sparking up some fatwood shavings, spending the night, the with back azimuth, make my way back to car and go home...where can I do this? State parks seem to have all sorts of don't do this, don't do that rules, which I'm not arguing against, but where CAN I go to practice my rudimentary wilderness trekking skills?

Harry

Alabama's not far away with three great wilderness areas: Sipsey, Digger mountain, and Cheaha. Cheaha would be closest to you.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Check out WMA's and National Forests. I believe Choctawhatchee National Forest is near you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

And there's also Conecuh NF.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.