Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetically speaking, of course,

Default Hypothetically speaking, of course,

...if one were to want to build an AK47; what variant would that someone want?

I would’ve mind having an underfolder in 7.62x39.

I'm thinking about country of origin and interchangable parts.

Not a fan, however, hypothetically speaking I think, if I had a choice, it would be a Russian built AKM w/ the underfolder stock. and for sure the 7.62 version not the 5.45 X39 round.

I have never been around an AK that could group under 3 to 4 inches consistently at 100 yards. I am spoiled to accurate rifles. But I will be the first to admit that I have only been around a few AKs and they were well used and most of the time we were shooting the cheapest ammo we could find, mostly because they shot the ammo very quickly!

I don't have an AK, never have had one, probably will never have one. But, if there was the need for something that had a plentiful ammo source, and would work 99% of the time, for a long time, over and over again, it would be a Russian AK47 in 7.62x39.

My go to at the moment is a Colt AR lower with an Olympic upper in 7.62x39. They will function and fire fine with AR 5.56 mags if they are not loaded to full capacity. I have a good number of the correct mags but the others will work.

Alan

here's a link to one I put together a few years ago

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...hlight=project
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have two AKs that will go inside 1 1/2" @100. I find that it is the lousy trigger that is the main culprit. With a good trigger they do OK and are no worse than most AR platforms at the same price level.

It is hardly fair to compare a $500 AK with an AR that has a $500 drop in trigger group, match barrel and cost $1500 out of the box.

I do not consider an AK even in the same use context, with 100 million of them produced world wide. They are a rifle for the masses, not a precision tool.

Soviet philosophy calls for mass firepower at close range and each squad has a designated marksman with a sniper rifle for the long range work. They do not expect or intend for each soldier to be a long range shooter.

Stick with the Russian variant or a copy. The Hungarian and Yougo versions have several major variations from the standard. The Serbian Zastova is a good choice but uses a slightly different butt stock. That can be adjusted by using a surplus tenon.

One of the problems I saw when thinking about an AK build was that the "kits" were actually de-milled Bulgarian and Yugo rifles that had been stripped and if you did not get the right one you would have interchangeability problems, and the kits were selling at a higher price than a ready built AK. Then you had to build the frame, do all the welding and machining. It is the welding that gets to most folks. You have to spot weld the ejector, bolt guides, and a couple of other parts, I don't remember which exactly.

The AK is a more simple design but it is engineered around mass production in a factory setting by unskilled craftsmen. You break it you throw it away and pick another up off the battle field, check if the front sight is aligned, slap the rear sight down to the combat zero and keep fighting.

The AR is designed as a modular gun with easily replaceable parts, which is why they are easy to build. You adjust them, zero them to the individual, put accessories on them to make them nice and fluffy. Before you realize what has happened your $500 kit gun has $1000 in accessories and optics on it.

I like to shoot my AR platforms over my AK platforms but come the zombie Apocalypse I'm grabbing the AK.

If the anti-gunners ever manage to get semi-autos banned my AK rifles will be converted to straight pull bolt actions and kept running. You could do the same with an AR but it is not as handy when used in that way. That charging dohicky is a pain to operate as a bolt action.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thanks Randy (once again) that link cleared up some questions I had about bending the flat and your DIY jig.

Thank you too kyrat. Great info as usual.

"Charging Dohicky"... Polite term for that POS design. I know it can't happen .... right? but I always think about that "charging dohicky" three inches from my cheek bone when I'm shooting an AR. If anything ever seizes up on that thing it's going to be rough detaching that "dohicky" from my face.

Alan

We'll just leave it embedded. DW #1 can just attach a carrot to the end of it and then she can get you to go where ever she wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    "Charging Dohicky"... Polite term for that POS design.
    Alan
    I put one of the "slap flaps" on mine.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/wils...ch-tr-chr.html

It makes it easier to just slap the charge handle. It gives more leverage and is easier to use with gloves.

That is a device that should be standard military issue. It may now be for all I know. Every time I use it I think about how handy that would have been long ago and far away.

there are 80 percent receivers available that are already bent, welded in bolt guides. I think Childers has some for around 75 bucks. I picked up a m72 receiver from them, it was close to a 100 bucks. The m72 has bulged trunnions so they are a little more money.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I might try one of those slap flaps.

Alan

I've been lookin' in the mirror. I may already have some. Might be a couple of cases of six packs in there.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I have an old Chinese ak. It couldn’t hit the side of a barn while standing inside but, it worth a lot more than I paid for it.

the angle iron jig I used is not what most folks use. Usually there is a jig that is used in a H-press and it forms the flat with nice square corners. When I built my Romanian, I was trying to built it with as little as I could. It was a bit of a experiment. Also I couldn't bring my self to drop bunches of cash on jigs and what not for a one time build.

Sometimes guys will get together and have build parties. In that case the equipment costs are shared.

I saw those pre-bent and heat treated 80%'s. Then a download for a cheatsheet that you could glue on the reciever. No measuring. I still can't get the picture out of my mind of middleasterners in caves banging out ak's out of scrap metal.

If you guys find an AK parts kit, with the barrel included, for less than $600 please let me know where.

That is the problem I got into when looking at the AK build. I can buy new for the same price as a parts gun and I could build an AR and have enough money left for a case of ammo.