Thread: 96 Today

Default 96 Today

Degrees that is.....

Heavy fog and kinda cool first thing this morning. Well, all that changed about 10:00 AM. It hit the 90s by noon and is 96 out there right now at 4:49 PM.

I decided quittin time was 4:00 PM today. Got some work done though. Don't get paid anything for it cept supper. Hamburger, fresh green beans and a pleasant smile from a cute girl....

Alan

96? Is that in the U.S.? We've been havin' freeze warnings.

Well, it's in Texas, We are a Republic you know. There are some who still adhere to that lunacy. But, it doesn't change the temperature...

Alan

96, imagine that. That's August around here. Just four more months. We might get to go outside by then.

Well, the good news is that this is one of the cool days we have ahead of us. By August we'll be well into the 100s. From a gardening standpoint I tell people that we have two winters. One from December to March (when you can only grow greens and cole crops, and the other from June till September when maybe the okra will survive if you keep it watered.

One year I put tarps on poles over my tomatoes to provide shade. They still wilted every day during the summer but didn't die. They made a few tomatoes too.

Some years we will even have some tomato and pepper plants go completely through the winter and make until June the next year. Then the next year we'll have three days of 20 degrees and everything dies.

The old Texas joke is that when God kicked the Devil out of Heaven, He gave him his choice of going to Hell or South Texas.....

Alan

We've been hitting the 90's for some time with welcomed respites in the 80's.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We'll have 86 tomorrow, so they say.... We'll see. It was pretty hot today. It's been into the 90s a few times but mostly high 80s so far. If we can keep a breeze blowing it's not too bad. What would really be nice is a good rain. We got 6/10 last Sunday. Got dry again quick though.

Alan

Ah, I miss the South. (Not really)
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

The only thing that bothers me more than the heat is the cold. BTW, cold is 50, really cold is 40.

Alan

Heh, we're inverts. At 40 I start sweating and at 60 I have to watch out for overheating.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

OK, OK....I know I live in Florida, but my favorite temps are highs of 60 and lows around 40.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    OK, OK....I know I live in Florida, but my favorite temps are highs of 60 and lows around 40.
    Same-same for me. I’m not looking forward to the next 6 months high temps.

My favorite temp is a high of 70 and a low of 70. If God would keep his had off the thermostat, I'd be happy. I keep setting it to 70 and SOMEBODY (I won't mention names) keeps changing it.

91 here in Oklahoma this afternoon. Not bad but warmer than I like. It was a little breezy, gusts in the 30mph and 40mph so the mosquitoes were not a problem. Got some chiggers Sunday afternoon while I was looking for my old disc for my son. It is 68 right now with a light breeze 8 to 10mph. Summer is upon us.

Cool front blew in yesterday morning at about 60 mph. Got a little rain with it though. 54 now, 85 by noon.

Alan