Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Survival in the age of Fear...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There isn't any. Whoever is using all the toilet paper is in serious need of a doctor. They need more than telemedicine. Go to an ER!
    What?! Go to ER to have your..uh..wiped? Now I've heard everything.

Yes! Don't forget toilet paper

so, a year into the 'rona scamdemic, and who feels the same about it? The death rate in my County (in Florida) is .0004 of the population. Pretty obvious that the controls are for political reasons, not health reasons.

What is the death rate of those that have had the virus? I don't know about you, but a stay in the ICU is not my idea of the vacation I want to take. I know too many that have taken it. Even having the virus can have long term consequences. Controls do work to reduce transmission. I don't mind wearing a mask and social distancing. I've received my first vaccine and I'm scheduled for my second. If that makes me a sheeple, so be it.

Rick, the death rate for those that have gotten the virus has not exceeded .01 here. For all of Florida, the IFR of total cases is less than .16, and that's with many thousands of deaths falsely attributed to covid. Hardly pandemic levels.
    I have yet to wear a mask, and I won't be getting the mRNA vaccine. So far as social distancing goes, I have never wanted to be around crowds, and yeah, I wash my hands just like mama taught me 60 years ago.

Mannlicher,, give your sources...
    Like this...
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
    It's not hard to do.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

just a tad snide there Wolf. laughing https://alachuachronicle.com/march-2...d-data-update/

I have to say your source is does not seem credible, and their IFR figures are vastly over stated.
    Last edited by Mannlicher; 03-21-2021 at 02:27 PM.

Alachua chronicles vs. the Worldometer. When matching sources, at least try.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    I would just ask, when it comes to assessing/evaluating Alachua County (what his comments were focused on) would you prefer a news source such as Alachua Chronicles vs the Worldometer? Do the folks at the Worldometer even know where Alachua County is?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    next time I'll do my best to satisfy your requirements. I just could not get that unvetted source you mentioned to zero in on my local County. The figures on your source are just not accurate. Everyone, with the exception of you perhaps, realizes that the data has been massaged and manipulated. Even if you take the total IFR as gospel, the death rate, the IFR, still amounts to less than .0001 of the total American population. But feel free to cower in fear. Don't forget to wear your mask. Get a shot. laughing

You may laugh if you wish. I know so many people that have spent so much time in ICU because of this virus and I know people who have lost their lives because of it. It really doesn't matter what the numbers are if the virus hits you or your family and you or a loved one are isolated in ICU all alone with no family or friends able to visit them. Many die in that isolation. Again, numbers mean nothing for those folks. I do wear my mask and I have gotten my shots but I don't cower in fear. I just have to be informed and know that the best way to beat any disease is to be informed. I receive my annual flu shots and when I travel abroad I receive appropriate vaccinations for those locals. It would be foolish not to. It would be foolish not to take precautions for this disease.

Your county seems rather small and perhaps the numbers are small because of that. I don't know. I do know that my county has a large population and the resulting numbers are very high. But again, it doesn't matter what the numbers are if you are the one with the illness and find yourself in the ICU. Many have very mild or no symptoms. Others are severely stricken. If you wish to play with your health or your life that's your wish. Do what you want but please don't mock those of us that do take this seriously and take precautions to not only prevent contracting the illness but prevent spreading it to others. Let's just agree to disagree.

Of course people at Worldometer knows where Alachua county is. The work they do is geographic statistics. They know geography.

Mannlicher, you confuse fear with responsibility. Where and when I grew up, macho was not a thing. A man was the person who does what a man has to do. Similarly, a woman was a person who does what a woman has to do. A Boy Scout, specifically put a high emphasis on choosing to do the right thing instead of what they wanna do or what their friends pressure them to do. It looks very much like that is vanishing from our collective values.

I grew up in the South and I was a public health professional who maintained connections with public health organizations and policy making bodies in the South. I've seen the shift from "I'm going to do the right thing," to "Nobody's gonna tell me what to do."

But I'm an old guy. I'm going to stay close to my roots.
    Last edited by WolfVanZandt; 03-21-2021 at 10:10 PM.

I think that everybody has had a chance to make thier points. So as to not beat a dead horse, or have things get personal. Time to move on.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel