Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival in the age of Fear...

Default Survival in the age of Fear...

That's where we are.

People used to be afraid of guns, because you know, guns are bad....

But,

Not as bad as Coronavirus! All of a sudden, just like that, people weren't afraid of guns any more. Gun stores are even considered "Essential"! Imagine some of the Anti-gunnuts trying to wrap their heads around that one....

On March 19, #1 wife and I left for New Orleans. At that time "social distancing" was a thing, but not a big thing. People could still go to grocery stores and only stand in line at the cash registers. There were no "Shelter in Place" orders, no mandatory face coverings, none of that stuff. The drill was, don't pick your nose, rub your eyes, or put your fingers in your mouth in public and wash, wash, wash your hands... Don't go to large gatherings of people... but it wasn't full auto apocalypse.

Now, one month later, there are no stores open except those "essential" ones and a lot of them won't let you inside or only allow a certain number in. Most people are wearing face masks (even robbers don't know who's who these days) and keeping their distances. The highways are a lot less crowded and people are staying home.

Now all that and much more is all good, except for one thing. They are doing it out of fear. Mass hysterical fear. Yes, COVID-19 is real, and it Will kill you, ... if your number's up. But, what is really strange about it is that it infects some people and they have "0"(ZERO) symptoms, Nada! and they walk around happy as can be, unwittingly spreading the love. The vast majority of people who do show symptoms are over it in a few days and symptoms range from mildly annoying "I think I got something" to "I feel like $hit", then they get over it. Then there's the 35,000 Americans who died from COMPLICATIONS brought on by COVID-19. The death count of course includes anyone who died, from anything, and was COVID-19 positive.

This is a great news story in a time when the media has been aching, starving, for something, anything that was actually SOMETHING and not a Mueller investigation, Adam Schiffhead lies, or a failed impeachment coop....

So, here it is, Fear... Fear is powerful and it is a powerful tool. We are huddled in our houses and the threat of certain death from The Rona is more terrifying than the loss of our livelihoods, the loss of our jobs that feed our families, or the loss of our right to live free of a governmental yoke of fear.

The things that would have initially averted this disaster, Washing hands, don't touch your face, wash your hands, don't go to large gatherings, wash your hands..... are as true today in eliminating the spread of this disease, or most any other disease, as they were in February 2020. People just didn't do those things. They bought toilet paper... and carried on as usual...

Can you imagine what the world would be like if we ever have a real disaster, a real crisis? 35,000 extra deaths is taxing the undertaker.... What if we had some calamity that decimated our population (approx 3,500,000 deaths in a month). I can think of several scenarios that could accomplish that overnight much less in a month's time. We D@mn sure aren't ready for that one. Oh, the Cultural Revolution in CHINA dispatched about 20,000,000 of their own people, so they could do us, call it a good start and sleep well that night....

I didn't really care for Franklin Roosevelt or G.W. Bush, but They both, in times of crisis, called on America to reject FEAR. It is indeed our greatest enemy.

Alan

Only six in at a time. The 21st century bread line.

We're out of bread, sorry. Here's a Stimulus Check for $20,000,000...

Next!

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 04-19-2020 at 08:06 AM.

Kelly and I have not succumbed to the culture of fear.

I do have a rhetorical question though. If you or someone in your home is in the high risk group, why would you go inside a grocery store? There's stores in all high population hot spots that offer curbside service. Why would you go to a crowded beach? Why would you eat out in a resturant when almost all offer take out?

I saw an estimate that 1/3 of the USA population already has covid antibodies. They've already had it. Covid is not going to disappear soon...if ever. Are we going to live like we're in a zombie apocalypse from now on? No we won't. The natives are already getting restless and defying "orders". This will just escalate.

I realize that might not go over well with everybody here. I touched on this with a friend of mine, he has become hostile towards me.

I had someone tell me I was "dangerous" for holding the opinions I had on this epidemic. Similar to yours.

The even worst part of this thing is my wonderful state of MA has closed all the gun shops, has closed all the gun ranges, has shut down the mandatory-instruction teachers needed for state-required license acquisition (even online,) a good number of cities and towns are not taking new applications nor are they doing renewals, and the Governor did not give licensed gun owners an extension on their license expiration like they did all other types of licenses in the state. If your license is expiring right now, and if your police department won't give you a receipt for your renewal (they are supposed to give you a receipt and it's valid until they act on your renewal,) you are SOL and probably considered a felon by our agenda-oriented AG. The local gun owner's association and the NRA are supposed to be looking into it. Yeah. Right. Crickets.
    Last edited by LowKey; 04-19-2020 at 09:18 AM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I'm not living in fear. I'm just not willing to risk catching the disease and possible time in an ICU. Not my idea of a fun time. When I was young and stupid....younger and stupider, okay?....I used to think, boy, it would sure be great if I could just stay at home and be a bum. Well, now I can. I have everything I need so why not? All it takes is just one mistake, one person cough in the wrong direction, touch one surface that's contaminated, touch your eye not thinking and BAM! you're infected. If you go out ... there ... you have to be right every time. When things settle down a bit and fewer people have the disease then I'll venture out with proper protection and distancing. I'll wait and see how the rest of you fair with it first.

I am a dangerous person to totalitarian tyrants.

No, high risk people should not do those things. People with emphysema shouldn't smoke cigars or sit in campfire smoke. People with diabetes shouldn't binge on milky way bars. People with high risk anything should do those things that are risky for them. Just like the guy I've known for the last 47 years who was 91, bone cancer and heart disease, but wouldn't stop the high risk behavior. It kicked his as a too.

But for the greater majority of people who use hot pads to pick up stuff off the stove, don't drink bleach or drive with their eyes closed, we should venture out with the proper precautions, as should each within the parameters of their own risk level.

Comanche were a lot deadlier than the Rona and it didn't stop folks from moving west. Progress is risky. You can't steal second and keep your foot on first (paraphrased). We've got to move while we still can, while we still want to. The Nanny State thinks this stuff is the best thing to come along. The whole country is sitting, waiting to be told what they can or can't do next. You think the liberal totalitarianists are going to hand us our rights back? Nope, we're right where they want us.

We've got to take some risks. We've got to be Americans, if not there will be bread lines and worthless stimulus checks.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 04-19-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Well said Alan

Most of it exists in your head, not just the OP's head but anyone's. And it depends on how you're living your life and the media bubble to choose to put your head in. I haven't even seen this world; perhaps little glimpses of it when I'm unwise enough to engage with or listen to those that foment FUD. The government stokes it keep us in line and the media sells it to make a buck and to maintain access to the Powers That Be. Meh, I just don't have much time for it. My life is different right now, working from home, and trying to shelter in place has my world a little smaller now than it usually is. But I'm in Montana so my escape into the mountains and forests gives me respite from the nuttiness.

I try to NEVER watch the evening news and I'm too chinchy these days to spring for FOX. I used to read Fox News, but for whatever reasons it won't open on my computer. That's fine I check it on the phone every now and then but not nearly as in depth as before. I'm not sure my life is worse not knowing every time Trump tweets or some celeb takes a dump. IN fact I'm likely the better for it.

But, If I need to go to the store, I go to the store. I put on my mask and tend to my business. I do have some added confidence in that I likely have some antibodies to the Ronacrud, so I'm less worried about catching it (again). I also actually like social distancing. A firm handshake used to be the measure of a man on first acquaintance. Many men today have the limp fish handshake and I surely don't miss that.

Alan

#1 wife came in and told me that "everyone" (meaning the mainstream newscrap she watches every evening) is getting ready for the dreaded "Second wave". AND, it's going to be worse than the first (according to "everyone").

There's all kinds of worry about the prisoners in prison.... Well, seems to me that a prison should be a pretty safe place for the Rona. It is the ultimate "stay home" "shelter in place" facility. And yet, they want to let the prisoners go so they won't get the Rona..... I'm perplexed....

Alan

Well...I don't live in fear but I do live in a place that puts me front and center of how bad it can get. Empathy from a distance is one thing, being in the middle of it is quite another as you all might have experienced at different points in your lives.

I watch the news, I watch the daily conferences by the gov. and pres. I read a lot and try to educate myself as much as possible in order to understand better what this is, and what it isn't. I don't have to go out for anything but I choose to as a way of helping a couple elderly neighbors who have no one. I tell them...as long as I'm going out for x. y, z, what can I get you?....and that way they don't feel like they are asking or imposing. I am fully suited up--mask, rubber gloves, safety goggles. Everything gets left outside the front door and we disinfect each thing before bringing it in. Same with shoes. Clothes go into a separate bag and get laundered after each use. On and on...We have nothing better to do so we take precautions.

Grocery delivery is available from several places, but they are booked a week in advance and not taking appointments past that. Hard to get a slot even when checking every single day. If you are not prepared to stay in, you have to go out, and most people in NYC are not prepared. My 86 yr old neighbor didn't even own a thermometer! I gave her several masks because she just had to walk her dog, and go to the bank.

I'd rather people lived in fear than in denial. Less dangerous for all concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    ... we should venture out with the proper precautions, as should each within the parameters of their own risk level.......

Alan

This is what we have to do if we are going to regain some semblance of normalcy. I'm not suggesting licking random doorknobs, But we've got to move. We've got to go back to work, back to school, and back to life. Do we have to take precautions? Yes, I believe that would be prudent.

But the thing that would probably do the most toward stopping this sort of thing in its bud stages is to put a major clamp on the place where most of it originates. China is pumping various flu bugs out with some degree of regularity. The rest of the world needs to put a stop to it. Stop dealing with China. Stop going to China. Stop bringing China to us. Contain their d@mn bugs in China. Put in place serious repercussions for any state that defies the sanctions. 160,000+ people in the world would have voted "Yes" for this, but, ..... they can't vote any more.

Or, we can just keep doing what we've always done....

Alan

Banned

I'm not afraid of Coronavirus but it's creepy to see how easy it is to manipulate people's perception. There are so many sources of information and none of them gives you an objective overview, all of the sources are biased in one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by creeon View Post
    I'm not afraid of Coronavirus but it's creepy to see how easy it is to manipulate people's perception. There are so many sources of information and none of them gives you an objective overview, all of the sources are biased in one way or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexwriter View Post
    What's really creepy is two guys from Ukraine speaking in one voice. Bu bye.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The shadow knows.

I guess they bought their spammy scripts from the same company....ACME How To Spam A Forum And Look Like An Idiot, Inc.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hey. Now we have a potential hurricane off our coast. Cue the hoards packing into Lowes for duct tape, generators, and batteries. Right after they get in line at grocery stores to stock up on food.

...and the beat goes on
    ...and the beat goes on

Toilet paper!!! Don't forget the toilet paper!

Alan

There isn't any. Whoever is using all the toilet paper is in serious need of a doctor. They need more than telemedicine. Go to an ER!