Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How bout a Bug Out/In bag for Coronavirus?

I think that's true, Lowkey. There are probably 10 or 20 times the number of virus cases out there that we know about. If you calculate the deaths against those tested the death rate is pretty high. If you calculate it against those that actually have/have had it then it brings the death rate way down. If you figure the surge will be in two weeks then the infection rate to worry about is right now since the symptoms take 7-14 days to appear!

Survival in any situation required 1. a level head and 2. Understanding the things in your environment that work against your survival. Saying that Covid is a "novel virus" just means that our bodies have to develop an immunity to it "from scratch". It doesn't mean that we don't understand it. But then, we don't, understand it because there's so much misinformation floating around, but we should understand it because it's not that much different from the flu, which very often is a "novel virus".

BOB is a tool and any tool is worthless if the understanding isn't there. Yet, if the understanding is there, BOB is just a luxury.

The importance of being not "at risk" (Not at risk of catching the virus, or of transmitting it... we're going to get the virus sooner or later... it ain't going away...but of dying from it) is that the vast multitude of us that will survive, that are not at risk, can help those that are at risk survive and isolating ourselves will just let them die.

We can survive much better as a community than as individuals.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I hope that catching it isn't a foregone conclusion. I didn't catch SARS or SWINE flu and my fervid hope is I can avoid COVID-19 until a viable vaccine is developed. Would you mind stepping back a bit? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    ... but I'd reconsider the merthiolate:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18049924/
    Man, I don't know how many times I got my throat swabbed with Merthiolate when I was a kid...

I know that if I put it on a cut, the cut heals...

Maybe mercury is good for people...

Alan

[grin]

What I meant by us getting it...even if you have an immunity that kills the virus as soon as it attacks you, you still get it. You just won't know it. You might have it now but will never know you have it. The virus doesn't get the opportunity to infect everyone. That's what makes carriers possible.

And, honestly, I had the swine flu (for a couple of days) and I hope you don't get it. But the worse thing it did to me was set up an inflammation in my knees that put me out of operation from April to November.

The point is that the virus isn't going away and the survival issue is to be physiologically prepared (not equipment) to deal with it.

Folks talk about avoiding the virus so grandma will live. Grandma will live if there are people there to help her. If she gets abandoned, even to a hospital or nursing home, then she'll die.

As far as smoothing the curve, if I actually get sick, what I will do is shut myself in my room and let my family bring what I need to survive to my door and I will maintain...and survive just like I have with every other such illness that hit me. I won't stress out any hospitals, mainly because going to a hospital will reduce my chances of survival.

On the small chance that it actually gets to affect my heart....well, then I might consider it.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I've never had a flu shot and I think I had the flu a long time ago but I don't know for sure. I can remember the last time I was actually sick. It was about ten years ago and I was under the weather for a day or two.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 04-05-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    [grin]
    If she gets abandoned, even to a hospital or nursing home, then she'll die.
    And this is exactly what happens. You will get dropped at the ER door and No one or nothing that you have will accompany you into the hospital. You'll have your ID paperclipped to your file so they will know what to write on the toe tag. No visitors, no nothing. If you can talk, you can talk on the hospital phone. If you go on a ventilator your survival rate drops to 14%... but due to the sedation you won't know it until you wake up dead.

Why did the media pick this strain to harp on and go full TEOTWAWKI? It's simple and Donald Trump said it early on. The virus is no joke, but the hype is a hoax to tank the economy and screw Trump.

Alan

Aye, but not just Trump. Every politician, news man, and advertising agency knows how to use a good scare and they are going to milk it for all it's worth.

Nice job on the diversion. Folks don’t know which one they’re talking to. If it works, what ever. Stay ready and safe. It’s a survival thang.

Politicians are probably the worst plague we have...

Honestly, I have prepped (to an extent) for some things. None of them included N95 masks... I guess I need to re-think.

I suppose, I, like a lot of people tend to go to the extreme first off. The things that are going to get you are the little things that sneak up behind you. When the last hurricane (Harvey) hit, the very last thing anyone needed was a gun. What we needed was gasoline and chainsaw chains. Everybody had a chainsaw with a dull chain. Those little round sharpener files were worth ten times their weight in gold. I had three, passed them out and they were worn slick by the end of the week. I'd had them for twenty years and maybe used them five times. Usually just got a new chain. Well, after Harvey there weren't any chains.

I gotta rethink, resupply and put it where it is accessible in a pinch.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 04-05-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Duh. Is is all I can think of for a nah sayer.

Rebel, it's kinda hard to tell what you're talking about but you're right, it is a survival thing and survival required actually thinking things out. I am indeed saying nay to the hysteria I'm seeing on the Internet. That's actually anti-survival.

Oh, I haven't stopped saying "nay" about it. I still think it's an overblown, hyped up, media driven panic-demic. Every DemocRat politician is screaming that Trump won't send them more and more and more money and ventilators...

Is it a sickness? yes. Is it serious? 15%-20% of the time, yes. Are people dropping like flies in the streets? So far, no.

But, It's the overblown, hyped up, media driven, panic-demic world we live in.

Medical Science has allowed a lot of people the opportunity to live longer than ever before. This stray bullet just happens to have gotten a bunch of them lined up just right.

I don't know that anyone was prepared for the overblown, hyped up, media driven, panic-demic. But they will be next time.

But while I do say "Nay" at times, I never say "Duh.."

Alan

Good. I hope y’all stay safe, prepared and happy. Lol. Thanks for what we have and can provide.

Never let a good crisis go to waste.

I sure hope you get better sooner, Alan.

I don't know why it is kicking other seemingly healthy people so bad.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 04-05-2020 at 06:47 PM.

A friend's friend lost a stepfather to the corona virus. She's a nurse and said that her father was a picture of health. I suspect I know what happened there.

"Pictures of health" tend to neglect illnesses figuring they will just bull through it like they usually do...until they run into something that they shouldn't ignore.

There are a few things that will suppress your immune system. I used to catch whatever was going around and it would hit me after a hard workout. Prolonged exertion, the kind of thing you want to make aerobic exercise effective, suppresses your immune system.

I don't worry much about infection because my immune system is so hot. Even if I catch it I get rid of it fast. But then my hot immune system doesn't know when to stop and it comes after me. That's why the flu set up an inflammation in my knees. The thing about inflammations like bronchitis (and this virus is just the sort of thing to trigger that off) is that they tend to be mild early in the day and get worse as time wears on. That's the cortisol cycle.

Also, something to watch out for, these viruses are notorious for relapses. Just because you "get over" a virus, don't assume you're over it for a week or two. I've heard folks say that the "second wave" of this virus could be worse. I don't doubt it. The second wave is the really dangerous part. People let down their guard and it hits them much harder. Keep your defenses up until you know it's done.

Hang in there Alan. Prayers for you and #1 Wife.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

TMI

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 04-05-2020 at 06:48 PM.

Hang in there Alan, we're pulling for you and your family! Just think...soon you'll be our Corona boots on the ground expert to guide us if we ever got slammed ourselves. PLUS, and hopefully, you'll be protected and immune once it's over...and busier than ever, no doubt.