Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How bout a Bug Out/In bag for Coronavirus?

Default How bout a Bug Out/In bag for Coronavirus?

I really need to make some kind of list as it will help pass the time........ Please add to it.

Alan

I think we can skip all the fire starter, knives, guns, jerky treats, and that kind of stuff. Most of us have that already all the time.

First Aid.
    1. The usual first aid stuff.
    2. Any necessary meds
    3. Any anti-viral, immune boosting meds/supplements
    4. Thermometer
    5. Blood Pressure machine
    6. antiseptic (merthiolate, creme, etc.)
    7. hand lotion (Working Hands, )
    8. Wound stapler (if you have one)
    9. antacid

Food
    1. Case of bottled water
    2. Instant coffee/tea
    3. Dried Fruit
    4. Ready to eat canned goods with tab tops that does not have to be refrigerated.

Personal
    1. CPAP with cleaning supplies
    2. personal items (shaving kit, toothbrush/paste, etc)
    3. Lots of underwear/socks
    4. 3 changes of clothes Jeans and workshirts
    5. Boots and tennis shoes
    6. Clorox wipes
    7. Canned food with tab type openers
    8. Paper towels and TP
    9. Air mattress and bedding air pump

Automotive
    1. Tools
    2. Power inverter (with jumper cables)
    3. Fix-a-flat
    4. Jump starter battery pack with charge cord
    5. HD flashlight (extra batteries)
    6. 5 gal gas in HD plastic can

Hardware
    1. Rope/parracord
    2. Duct tape
    3. Electrical tape

All this stuff isn't going in a bag to carry on your person but rather to have at home or in a vehicle.
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 04-02-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Is this a monty python movie

Alan - I told my kids to keep a list of all the crap they were running to the store for then after this is over stock up on those items for the next round. Go through your kitchen cabinets and make an inventory. That will not only keep you busy but tell you what you have and what you need. I'm also keeping a list of things I'd like to have more of and things I'm using so I can stock back up. Underwear and socks aren't going to help me in the next wave of this thing but more green beans will.

I'm still curious what a guy as experienced as KYrat forgot that would make him risk his hide going out to get it.

For covid19, that's a bug-in situation, unless you find yourself medically evacuated, then only hope you have relatives to watch your stuff and your house for you. Make arrangements for that and if you live alone, someone to care for your furry children.

From what I'm hearing if you are sick enough with this thing to be in the hospital, you aren't going to be caring too much about what's in a bug-out bag.

Can you use a CPAP if you're drowning in lung fluid?
    If you consider bringing it anywhere, have some means of portable cleaning. Last thing you want is an upper respiratory infection from that thing. I know someone that got one from lax cleanings. Pneumonia like symptoms for 3 weeks put him on his backside in bed. Adding Covid19 to that might kill you.

By all means have your medication/lists and things you would need to pass the time in bed - LIKE A PHONE CHARGER. And a change or two of clothes, for when you are discharged. You might consider bringing your own PJ's and a fleece throw in case they don't have enough bedclothes, but guessing all that will be taken away if you're put in isolation.
    Basically an overnight bag works.

Bug-in basics otherwise. The usual.

But think about what you would need if you get the "mildly sick" version of this.
    I stocked the freezer with home made chicken soup (minus the noodles, they don't freeze well) and some beef stew and some easy things to toss in the microwave like mac n' cheese and lasagna cut into squares, so you can watch them cook from the couch if you don't feel good enough for meal prep. I have canned stuff, but homemade is better when sick, and far less salt.
    Last edited by LowKey; 04-02-2020 at 08:06 AM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

My bug out days are over unless there's a zombie apocalypse. I cant hump an eighty pound pack. I dont want to get caught with my pants down on the highways. Besides, FL has checkpoints at the state line. Gov Desantis has ordered a stay at home rule. There's a few places that we could hole up in FL. Private land. But we would start planting here first. Madmaxine finally got on board with prepping so each week we'll hit the grocery store and buy twice what we need. I'm trying the keto diet to lose those aggravating last poundage so that's a little problematic. We always have 2 bags packed for quicky get away. And one with nothing but bushcraft tools. Again, I cant hump all the gear out on my back. And going naked and afraid isn't on the list of options. We've done the Pot and Machete challenge a few times. Primitive survival sucks.

As for in house supplies...let's just say we're good for few months.
    Last edited by madmax; 04-02-2020 at 08:11 AM.

Food has been the least of our worries. Having clean clothes has been a challenge.
    I read a saying that "The difference between Truth and Fiction is that Fiction has to make sense...".

Anyway, There's survival in the woods, in the dark, in the cold rain... That seems relatively easy right now.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 04-05-2020 at 06:44 PM.

I've got to have the CPAP. I clean it judiciously every day, even before this started.

A good supply of clorox wipes or equivalent for touching gas pumps, cleaning credit cards and using public restrooms (I carry them in my hands and touch anything but ME with the wipe. I wipe off the credit card before I put it in the gas slot and after it comes out. I clean my phone all the time and wipe down the steering wheel, gear shift, nav device, etc every time the door opens.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 04-05-2020 at 06:44 PM.

When I was out, I used an air mattress and my own bedding (fleece type sleeping bag and blankets).

Alan

Coupla nephews and nieces in N. O. Even taking them out of there for months, they still go back. It must be something in that nasty water.

Katrina was the best thing to happen to it in a long time. At least it washed everything off and got rid of some/most of the worst elements of the population. Trouble is that they just spread out, AND, they started going back. Personally, I always breathed a sigh of relief every time I saw it in the rearview mirror.

Alan

Oh, man! That sucks. I am so thankful all my kith and kin are here near me where I can bop them on the head for being dumb.

I have even tried to describe N.O. the water shed is from from the Appalachian mountains to the Rockies. Everything goes down hill. The Mississippi river gets it all. That makes N.O. the a hole of the USA.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    I'm still curious what a guy as experienced as KYrat forgot that would make him risk his hide going out to get it.
    It is very simple and a total failure in planning. I went out to service the tractor for breaking the garden patch and there on the shelf was one lonely quart of 10w40.

And me sitting with a car, three motorbikes, two generators, two mowers,,,,and all the other lubrication needing devices used on a homestead.

Looking at this from the long term I am not visualizing a 2 week quarantine. Everyone seems to be thinking that after 2 weeks all is right with the world and you can resume normal activities. I'm not sure where that little tidbit came from but I see no less than two months of isolation ahead. Probably all summer.

The garden is not an option this year. Neither is having power on tap and keeping the machines running properly and that requires oil.

I thought about it for a full day before going off the property. We still had zero cases within 20 miles of me and only 10 in that urban area, and I was not going there. If I was going to go out best to do so while the infection risk was still low. We now have double the cases north of me (20 total out of a population of 1/2 million), and one case in my county which is 250 sq/mi and 30,000 population, none it the counties east, west and south which are served by the store I visited.

It is an advantage of living in a rural area. The people are dumb as dirt but there are few of them.

Why was my stock so low? No way to answer that sensibly, I just let it slide. I changed the oil in the motorcycles before I put them up for the winter so I could get by on them but the tractor and other tools I had neglected and they all needed servicing before use this spring.

By the way, now that the weather has improved here I find the motorbikes are excellent "bug in" transportation for short runs to go fishing, post a letter, check out the status of the village and see if the walking dead are about. No one but me going anyway so why clog the road up with the Jeep? 80 mpg is a nice mileage figure to work with on the small bike, 50 on the big bike.

It has also turned the Jeep, with its 20 gallon fuel tank, into a fuel storage unit.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Two months? I hope so. There's no worsening of our situation but it's hard to tell if it's getting better. I had a lot of things to get done. They aren't going to get done.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 04-05-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Last night I was looking at ordering some oil from amazon.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have young neighbors down the road that are still working. One is a lineman for the electric co-op, the other a FedX driver. Both are still working daily.

They would pick up necessities for me and leave then on the doorstep, no problem.

We seem to forget that 2/3 of the population is still at work and moving about in a nearly normal fashion. If you are under 50 your chances of dying from this stuff are about zero!

In fact, it does not get really bad until you hit the 70 age bracket with "underlying issues". The rest of the world being under quarantine is a waste of time, especially since 2/3 of the population is still working.

All of the concern about healthy people in their twenties, thirties and forties being isolated is farting in the wind, crippling the economy and ruining personal lives.

That is what they were talking about when they referred to the "cure being worse than the disease".

TPTB have treated every case as a potential death threat when most would have, and are being, sick for a week and then going about their lives just as they did during the Asian flu of 1958, the Hong Cong Flu of '68, swine flu of the 1970s, and right up to the bird flu of the 2009 season. Every one of those strains killed thousands of old folks, just as flu does each year. And every one of them came out of China, even when no one could visit China.

Why the media chose this strain as the one they would use to destroy the world we know is beyond me.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-02-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You only have one that has tested positive. You have no idea how many have it that have not been tested. That's the scary part. Those cases will start blooming like dandelions on a warm spring day.

Well, that list looks pretty much like what you would need at home anyway, but I'd reconsider the merthiolate:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18049924/

And replace it with, maybe Povidone as an antiseptics wound cleaner and a broad spectrum topical antibiotic like Neosporin.
    From what I've read about antivirals, they are only very mildly effective and then only if you use it exactly right. I still say that the best antiviral is good general health.

What you do need is something to reduce fever. This is one case where Marcus Welby was right. Take aspirin, drink plenty of water, and call the doctor in the morning (well, that last part is sorta suspect ... I would add, eat a high protein diet, whether you feel like it or not.)

One of the big killers of these viruses is dehydration. Threat the symptoms until the body's defenses get online. You're not going to kill the virus by external means after it gets started.

I heard a medical professional say that if he could make everyone sit 6' apart from 2 weeks, he could stop the virus. I would like to know of a single virus that has ever "gone extinct."

What's a lot more dangerous than this virus is all the misinformation flying around from people who really should know better.
    Last edited by WolfVanZandt; 04-02-2020 at 01:03 PM.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Just got a text from #3 son. Victoria Fire Department sent a whole crew home. #3 son's crew, that just came off 48 hrs, had to go back in. He didn't elaborate. Didn't have to.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 04-02-2020 at 02:44 PM.

You have no idea how many have it that have not been tested.
    And that's the kicker. The newspaper the other day was screaming that there could be 10-100 unverified cases of this floating around you at any moment in time.

The other side of that, which wasn't mentioned in the newspaper article, is that, if true, then the death toll decimal point moves one or two places to the left, making this closer to a normal flu.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant