Thread: Homeless in Siberia

Default Homeless in Siberia

An interesting picture essay of what it's like to be homeless in Siberia in the winter.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...winter/606757/
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Wow, that's a difficult story to read but well done. It's gotta be one of the tougher places to be homeless. We have a somewhat sizeable population of homeless in Bozeman as well; I've often pondered how difficult it would be since here in Montana winters are no picnic. I donate to our local shelters but I don't know what the solution is. A couple of them are homeless by choice more or less (young folks that couch surf and don't want to be tied down) but others have been left behind by population/economic boom and subsequent gentrification here.

I'd think Homelessness would be of fairly short duration in Siberia....

Alan

I imagine it depends on a lot of things.

I dunno. I've never been to Siberia, probably won't ever go there. I've always thought it'd be a good place to hunt. I imagine it's a lot like Alaska except like 10 times as big. If a person had the tools to begin with they could maybe make it ok, but if they had the tools, they probably would not be homeless in the true sense of the word.

Alan

Homeless people are usually that way because of mental illness, alcohol and/or drug addictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    I dunno. I've never been to Siberia, probably won't ever go there. I've always thought it'd be a good place to hunt. I imagine it's a lot like Alaska except like 10 times as big. If a person had the tools to begin with they could maybe make it ok, but if they had the tools, they probably would not be homeless in the true sense of the word.

Alan
    What would they hunt except fish? You'd need to go far away from cities to find wildlife, which is a bad idea at -22F.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
    Homeless people are usually that way because of mental illness, alcohol and/or drug addictions.
    Not sure where you got that information? But actually economic problems are actually the cause of the majority of homelessness
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by furrfox View Post
    What would they hunt except fish? You'd need to go far away from cities to find wildlife, which is a bad idea at -22F.
    I'm not talking about them hunting. I'm talking about me hunting.

Alan