Thread: Marines Learn Survival Skills for Thai Jungles

Default Marines Learn Survival Skills for Thai Jungles

I'm pretty safe in saying there will never. Yeah, never covers it. Never be a time in my life when I will have the need to drink cobra blood or eat a tarantula. They say never say never but this is one case in which I can say it. Now, I might eat a scorpion under the rarest of circumstances. McDonalds is closed and I really, reeeeeaaaly, have to have a late night snack. Okay, a scorpion will do I guess but cobra blood and a tarantula is off the list forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm pretty safe in saying there will never. Yeah, never covers it. Never be a time in my life when I will have the need to drink cobra blood or eat a tarantula. They say never say never but this is one case in which I can say it. Now, I might eat a scorpion under the rarest of circumstances. McDonalds is closed and I really, reeeeeaaaly, have to have a late night snack. Okay, a scorpion will do I guess but cobra blood and a tarantula is off the list forever.
    Fried in bacon grease?!

Tarantula and cobra blood aren't so bad. But then again, I spent a lot of time under water................use your own judgement.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I can see how being under water might affect your judgement. Bacon grease might give me pause to reconsider. No, still off the list.

Tarantula blood? I've eaten them once the hairs are singed off but never thought about drinking their blood to hydrate as a substitute for drinking water. Hmm. Thailand generally is a wet and wild food abundant environment...No? My goodness water rich cutting down bamboo, banana stalks, several vines, coconut, moisture rich fruit, noshing a wood grub, etc would be my goto hydration approach and/or nutritional supplementing approach. Yeah, Heterometrous genus scorpions found in Asia can be eaten but that's not just for hydration but also to meet nutritional needs.

Given the setting, seems over the top gung ho he man survival Ir-Reality TV Internet Forum dramatic(TOO MUCH OF THAT!) considering the options that already tend to rather abundantly exist and associated risks of cobra bites, Black Forest or Thai Black scorpion stings(like a large wasp) in back country settings. It's not my initial inclination to play with, handle, or kill a cobra in Thailand for hydration or nutrition. It is an option, though further down on the list of options. KISS - keep it survival simple...THEN, only if situational required go to the more complicated options.
    Last edited by Dogwood; 03-03-2020 at 04:22 PM.