Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: So, how ‘bout that carona virus?

Default So, how ‘bout that carona virus?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    Nah. But if you want to bust myths about Neanderthal, and you seem to need that, they're the ones you go to.
    Well you are in luck. You’’ve found one. Anything else you’d like to know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cliff Booth; 03-09-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Both the cases in Indy are in self quarantine.

According to that chart above, if I get this thing when I check in to the hospital I'm going to tell them I'm 10-19 with no underlying health conditions and female. I should be over in a day or two.
    You don't even have to get it really. All you have to do is self-identify as your description and that should take care of it.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    You don't even have to get it really. All you have to do is self-identify as your description and that should take care of it.

Alan
    Fortunately I identify as Batman. Bats can’t get this thing, right?

Well, since you seem to think that anthropologists are in league with the Masons, I don't think I want to ask you anything.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Well, since you seem to think that anthropologists are in league with the Masons, I don't think I want to ask you anything.
    That’s just the kind of thinking that results in you giving up all your rights. Open your eyes.

And, by the way, we're off topic. I'm back on.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

And, by the way, we're off topic. I'm back on.
    I thought we already resolved the matter. The world’s leading epidemiologists are idiots and feces-caked hands and Neanderthal traits will render this virus powerless.

Careful fellas. You are starting to head down a path that will lead you to a dead end. Get back on the main road.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

In more interesting news, a CDC rep recently said you should be ready to bunker down and stay home if you are over 60.

US Stare department has advised against cruises. Has to suck for the college kids about to have spring break.

Last edited by Cliff Booth; 03-10-2020 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Booth View Post
    In more interesting news, a CDC rep recently said you should be ready to bunker down and stay home if you are over 60.

US Stare department has advised against cruises. Has to suck for the college kids about to have spring break.

This is not going to deter them. Do you remember being that age? Why, you're invincible.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I remember spring break in college.

There is no way carona virus could live through all of that!

The generous application of alcohol would kill it.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

But on a different note, this morning the nation of Italy woke to find the entire realm under quarantine. Not a city or region, the entire nation.

No travel without proper documents, no gatherings of any kind, the Vatican is closed, sporting events canceled, all schools and universities closed, cafes and bars closed at 6pm, only essential workers still moving about.

Oddly they are still allowing shopping as long as the customers stay 1 meter separated. Lot of good that will do when a cough or sneeze spreads the virus 5 meters.

People over 60 have been recommended to stay INSIDE for the next three weeks.

Now remember that Italy has a historical precedence for this. In the 1300s the Black Death entered Europe through Italian ports. They don't want a repeat of that scenerio. After it got lose in Europe it swept through, then mutated and swept through again until 1/3 of the population was gone. After that it lay dormant to again mutate and pop up every few decades for the next 500 years. We actually lose more people to the Bubonic plague each year than the carona virus has taken in the U.S, so far. It thrives on the west coast and the western desert, imagine that.

The question is, are we as "wilderness survivors" prepared for the inevitable "bug in" that goes totally against the ninja boy scout code of the "bugout bag and an AK/AR" survivalist?

I am a member of several survival forums located outside our nation. Some of them have been going for many years. Suddenly I have discovered that these proponents of self sustained living, homesteading and extreme woodcraft do not have enough supplies to sustain themselves for 3 weeks, TP to last a week, no water other than a bucket under the drain pipe, very little OTC medication and like everyone else they are out looting the shelves for milk, bread and eggs while wearing a paint mask. Some of them have even owned up to living in apartment blocks in major urban areas rather than the quaint rural cottages they have shown on their posts and websites.

Are you really ready for a 3-6 week bug in?

Guess I better run to the store, I am down to 8 dozen eggs!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

And I'm 67. I'll be in Bluffs Park soon. Just did a 13 mile hike in Waterton Canyon.

Kyrat. Aye, we have the plague out here and I haven't stayed in for that either.

I guess if they quarantine everyone then employers will need their workers back when it's done, if they survive.

This new cold going around isn't our worst enemy. It's the people "protecting us" from it.

3weeks ? I could do 3 years . Now granted there would be some food fatigue toward the end.

Well, according to the rule of four, a healthy person should be able to last 4weeks. That's a healthy person.

I would say "family and friends" but as soon as they bring you food, they're quarantined.

Okay, here's the score. You catch a cold. You're indoors for a week. You spread it around some because you were contagious before you even knew you had it. A few people who it's actually a danger to catches it. In the best of world's, they are nursed back to health (probably not here because everybody is too busy looking out for number one, so they die).

The government's plan - even if you're not sick, even if you're suspected of being around it, you're quarantined for two weeks. Good chance you lose your job. Around here with cost of living so high, you might end up on the street. If you have caught it, suddenly you're in a high risk group that you would not have been in normally. That scenario could be anyone, not just the few in a high risk group.

The plague was deadly for two big reasons (we have it here and people are not dropping like flies). First, raw sewage ran in the streets. Cholera was also a plague that killed a lot of people. The other thing is that the church, during the middle ages, thought that bathing was a sign of vanity and encouraged the masses to not bathe. Sanitation was not good back then. The church wasn't the government, but it might as well have been and it was no longer much into nursing the body.

To reiterate, government leaders and health organizations that don't know what the heck they're doing is far more dangerous than the Corona virus. They don't listen to what the people that actually do know what they're doing are saying. Did either Mayo or John Hopkins say anything about enforced quarantine? Is there any research out that recommends enforced quarantine?

Fixit, if you get locked in for 3 weeks and happen to come down with something really serious (not this cold), are you going to be able to nurse yourself back to health. Are you even going to be able to get out of bed?

The old saw for getting over a virus is still appropriate. Drink lots of (clean) water to stay hydrated, take something to control fever, (if you have a good doctor that won't just load you up on worthless antibiotics, call him - he'll tell you to get plenty of rest), and I'll add, eat a well balanced diet - whether you feel like it or not.

3 week quarantines is not a life saving measure.
    Last edited by WolfVanZandt; 03-10-2020 at 01:03 PM.

I'm way to physically compromised to bug out on foot or bike. So bug in it is. We stocked up on a few things we have neglected to rotate but it wasn't up or Purell lol. It is funny how Italy has shut down and still people are, "Ho hum." It cant happen here. BTW. Everybody knows you can get reinforced. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by zedsdead View Post
    Just to put this hype into perspective:
    The population of China is 1.6 billion people, the number of cases reported is plateauing, and the death rate is relatively low.
    For 80,000 cases in China, only 0.005% of the population have had the virus.
    Well, according to the rule of four, a healthy person should be able to last 4weeks. That's a healthy person.

I would say "family and friends" but as soon as they bring you food, they're quarantined.

Okay, here's the score. You catch a cold. You're indoors for a week. You spread it around some because you were contagious before you even knew you had it. A few people who it's actually a danger to catches it. In the best of world's, they are nursed back to health (probably not here because everybody is too busy looking out for number one, so they die).

The government's plan - even if you're not sick, even if you're suspected of being around it, you're quarantined for two weeks. Good chance you lose your job. Around here with cost of living so high, you might end up on the street. If you have caught it, suddenly you're in a high risk group that you would not have been in normally. That scenario could be anyone, not just the few in a high risk group.

The plague was deadly for two big reasons (we have it here and people are not dropping like flies). First, raw sewage ran in the streets. Cholera was also a plague that killed a lot of people. The other thing is that the church, during the middle ages, thought that bathing was a sign of vanity and encouraged the masses to not bathe. Sanitation was not good back then. The church wasn't the government, but it might as well have been and it was no longer much into nursing the body.

To reiterate, government leaders and health organizations that don't know what the heck they're doing is far more dangerous than the Corona virus. They don't listen to what the people that actually do know what they're doing are saying. Did either Mayo or John Hopkins say anything about enforced quarantine? Is there any research out that recommends enforced quarantine?

Fixit, if you get locked in for 3 weeks and happen to come down with something really serious (not this cold), are you going to be able to nurse yourself back to health. Are you even going to be able to get out of bed?

The old saw for getting over a virus is still appropriate. Drink lots of (clean) water to stay hydrated, take something to control fever, (if you have a good doctor that won't just load you up on worthless antibiotics, call him - he'll tell you to get plenty of rest), and I'll add, eat a well balanced diet - whether you feel like it or not.

3 week quarantines is not a life saving measure.
    Johns Hopkins banned fans from attending their basketball tourney. China is the only country to have slowed the rate of growth of the virus to date. They did it via quarantine.

The virus spreads from person to person. Thus, keeping it from spreading involves limiting person to person contact. There's no rat flea to take out. Also, we have had a definitive treatment for the Bubonic Plague for years now, so you can't really compare it to something that emerged 10 weeks ago that we are still trying to understand.

I didn't see anything on the Internet. Do you mean you can have supplied brought to you?

Harvard, Columbia, Vanderbilt, Princeton, and Stanford all cancelling classes. Harvard has called off classes until September.