Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: So, how ‘bout that carona virus?

I agree Rick, that's what I was implying. Choosing a lesser of two evils is still a choice as is choosing a rock over a hard place. Not liking either and blaming someone else for it only makes one a victim.

I agree fully with that, Rick. But usually it's not that cut-and-dried. Here in Denver, hiring practices are pretty foul so that people end up losing their jobs just when they have enough seniority to start getting benefits. Colorado is a right-to-hire state. Workers end up in the situation of quickly picking up what they can or joining the sizable homeless population. About a third of the people on the streets here are families and many of them have jobs that don't pay enough for housing.

Our society is built on principles that, over time, have made corrupt practices necessary. In other words, the only way we could make our society one that preserves individual freedoms is to take it apart and rebuild it. And that would be a tall order.

Usually, when people are shorn of basic freedoms, there is a revolution, but that's not historically a good thing. It usually turns out like the French revolution.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I will almost guarantee that in the next election, most people will see only two options: Biden and Trump. And most won't like either. The two party system that we have isn't real (physically) but it controls our politics. It's part of the corruption in out system that shouldn't be there.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

That's how it's always been, WVanZ, it's just that now it seems more toxic because the hate for Trump has eclipsed all reason.

The way our voting system is supposed to work, you vote for who you want in an election and the person who gets the most votes wins. What often happens is that people vote for one person do the other won't win.

Why would that work. I've followed Biden and Trump for s long time and, although what they say is different (Biden has really changed his tune....last year) but their behavior over the years...their real positions have not changed and there's very little difference, so there's not really a lesser evil, they're both the same evil. Trump is just more blatant.

That's interesting WVanZ because I see them as very different, like night and day different.. I just go by issues and policy. At this point they both have a record regardless of what they said when. "Saying" is one thing, "doing" is quite another. I am not aware of a perfect (all around) candidate so I go with someone most closely aligned with my major issues. That's about all I know to do.

Yeah, night and day. I worry less about what a person says than what they do. Show me, don't tell me.

Indeed, and they do the same things. They both support big business and ignore individual rights. They're both for though on crime policies that don't work. They both like private for-profit prisons. They're both anti-abortion at all costs. They've both supported videoed cases of police brutality. And they both think it's alright to sexually assault women. And on and on. They push for the same policies.

Virtually all big business was once small business started by hardworking ambitious people. They employ millions and give millions to charity. That's the beauty of this country and that's why more people want to immigrate here than any other country on earth.
    Give me big business vs. big government any day.

Back to work yesterday after being off 33 days. Only about 100 of 400 back, but more coming in everyday as the Dentist offices open up and work comes in. Lots of new safety procedures.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Big business and big government go hand in hand. The comparison is big business vs. the well bring of individual Americans. I've taken courses in investment lately. A common practice is to invest in some companies in the hope that they crash and burn. Actually, Trump has done pretty well with that sort of thing. It puts people out of work and other cool stuff. Big business creates big oil slicks in the Gulf that shuts a lot of industries down and big business and big government join hands to cover up everything they can. You'd have to go quite a distance back to see most of the big business today was small business, except for some of the computer companies which certainly have no moral high ground to stand on.

Which big business do you think would be a good model for us to follow?

Sorry Wolf, you need a few more lessons. You have as much opportunity to fulfill the American dream as Bill Gates, Elon Musk or anyone else did. You are only as limited as you allow yourself to be. You are welcome to point at others and blame them if you wish but the truth is the blame always stops at our own doorstep. Never blame someone else for our own falilings. That's not pointed at you but all of us. If you don't like government, get elected. If you don't like big business, create your own business and model it the way you think it should be modeled. That was my lack of empathy comment.

Most any business has a desire to grow, get bigger and ultimately become a "Big Business". Obviously, "Big Business" as we lump it together these days has been around for a long time in a progression since the industrial revolution.

It really is a necessary thing these days too. There are 7.5 billion human critters running around on the Earth, all expecting to be fed, clothed, medicated and entertained.... Mom and Pop shops can't do that, and evidently, we as a country can't do it either, right now. In my adult life I have watched American manufacturing be gradually shifted to foreign countries. Nothing wrong with that really until we get on the outs with that particular country or the SHTF... Then, it'sa problem...

Still, home gardens, farms, hunting, ... you know survival prep stuff... will keep you alive as long as you work it and defend it. But you're dealing hundreds of millions of people who don't know the first thing about doing that, don't care to do it and are VERY used to not having to really DO anything to get their basic needs or even their luxuries attended to. They really wouldn't think twice about taking from the "haves" by force of treachery.

So, Big Business is a thing, and it's really a good thing. It keeps anarchy at bay, and without a huge system of big businesses growing, processing, shipping, and selling the stuff of OUR basic needs, we would spiral into anarchy, and probably starvation...

As is pointed out early on in these very forums, survival is a temporary thing. If survival ever becomes a way of life, well, God help us.

Big Business is what keeps the grocery shelves stocked even when people go crazy and buy all the toilet paper.

Alan

Big Government, on the other hand is the epitome of greed, sloth and covetousness. They do nothing, produce nothing and perform no service that small or moderate government could not accomplish much cheaper. They only take from those who produce and enrich themselves. They are allowed to grow and perpetuate by that group of people who expect to be "kept".

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Big Government, on the other hand is the epitome of greed, sloth and covetousness. They do nothing, produce nothing and perform no service that small or moderate government could not accomplish much cheaper. They only take from those who produce and enrich themselves. They are allowed to grow and perpetuate by that group of people who expect to be "kept".

Alan
    Like they’ve perfected the art of hypocrisy. We’re screwed.

Well, America needs to give Donald Trump the House and the Senate so he can continue draining the swamp for the next four years. The DemocRats have done nothing but thwart any progress in that direction.

Note: I don't particularly like Donald Trump as a person. But, he wasn't elected to be a nice guy. Primarily he was elected because he was NOT Hillary Clinton, and secondly because he was a good businessman (he did accumulate $10Billion, himself).

He'll get reelected in November Primarily because he is NOT Joe Biden or Bernie Sanders, and secondly because he is a good businessman.

Alan

Rick, that's one of the biggest myths that keep people trapped. If anyone can become wealthy, why is it that only 3 percent of the population in 2018 is worth a million or more. A billion? 1 in548,715. The American dream is for a very few and most started rich.

I'm not interested in being rich and I'm certainly not interested in doing the damage it takes to get there, but the dream of getting rich in America is, for most just that, a dream.

And I have no idea what you're talking about in relation to me fulfilling my dream. I already have and retired at 60.

The problem with Trump as a businessman is that he made most of his money by buying businesses, destroying them, and salvaging what he could for himself. How many bankruptcies and bailouts has he had? And I'm afraid he will run the country like he's run his businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    The way our voting system is supposed to work, you vote for who you want in an election and the person who gets the most votes wins. What often happens is that people vote for one person do the other won't win.
    Not true at all. Important to remember that the electoral college is there for a reason. If not for that two or three states would decide national elections.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    Rick, that's one of the biggest myths that keep people trapped. If anyone can become wealthy, why is it that only 3 percent of the population in 2018 is worth a million or more. A billion? 1 in548,715. The American dream is for a very few and most started rich.

I'm not interested in being rich and I'm certainly not interested in doing the damage it takes to get there, but the dream of getting rich in America is, for most just that, a dream.

And I have no idea what you're talking about in relation to me fulfilling my dream. I already have and retired at 60.
    I believe you answered your own comment when you said "I'm not interested in being rich...". Many feel the same way and for different reasons.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel