Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: So, how ‘bout that carona virus?

I certainly don't know any more than what I read about this. One of the problems is that the information that the Chinese government releases is suspect at best and lies at worst. It seems that all of the "whistle blowers" end up dead. The doc that originally let the world know of the existence of the Coronavirus is dead. Another doc that reported the Chinese government was telling the world that there were less than 2,000 cases stated that there were well over 90,000 (no telling where the real number is now). She has not been seen since her public statements.

I know that our government and docs are doing what they can to ensure it does not spread. We all need to do our part as well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Prep and awareness. Same for a hike. It’s who we are. Crash, if you and the Mrs. want to go rural, y’all can come here.

NoKo has zero. Yea right. What a bunch of dingdongs

Well I keep an eye on it but not to concerned yet. By my numbers death rate is more like 12% than 2%. They take cases verse deaths and I take recovered verses deaths .

The infection rate is high 1 person infects 3 to 5 others depending on who's numbers you use . Best plan from my view is to be ready to bug in and I'm always ready to do that.

Not worried. But prepared to bug in. Mostly. Been slowly refilling stock things that somehow got low, but under control.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You have to also look at the timing of this "plague".

It has resulted in travel restrictions world wide, stock market fluctuations world wide, and general fear which has kept people at home and isolated, even though its impact has been almost zero outside China itself and not that hard there. With a population of 1.5 billion they have more deaths daily from people falling off ladders than this virus.

It is a big deal in Europe right now and causing a new upsurge in the use of the old survival forums that had just about died over there. Those folks are not prepared for anything and believe everything the media of any kind throws their way.

Last week there was a headline on Sky News that a "super carrier" had brought in new infection and doubled the number of cases hitting the NHS. They were up to 4! Yes, their cases doubled in one day, up to four people! They have a population of 60 million, and are known for their world wide business travels. People going to china daily, and coming back, and they have only 4 cases.

Several hundred Brits have died from the "normal" flu during the same period. No one raises an eyebrow. Over there flu shots are free and lots of people refuse to take them.

Amazingly all this restriction, fluctuation and concern occurred starting on the day GB went into Brixit, which was to have problems with GUESS WHAT?? travel restrictions, stock market fluctuations and free movement into places that no longer had reciprocal agreements outside the EU treaties.

It has also occurred at the height of the traditional "slow season" in consumer buying, January and February. This did not occur untill the Christmas buying season was over. And you must also note that there have been no restrictions on goods shipped to anywhere from China, where they were probably packed by "infected or exposed" package handlers. They have stopped "infected people" but let the flow of goods continue.

As Europe settles into their new normal this "pandemic" will fade into a nonevent.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-20-2020 at 11:54 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

There has definitely been a slow-down in export goods from China. Whether that is due to export restrictions, or workers unable to show up for work due to lock-downs is unknown. Some of our suppliers have been sourcing elsewhere (We buy literally miles of LED tape.) A friend of mine who works for an electronics developer is having trouble with PCB board parts.

Had a laugh this morning at the grocery store tabloid's front page splash touting this virus as engineered by China to send to the US.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

It's less deadly than the flu but since it's more transmissible it will probably end up infecting a third of the world's population and killing more than the flu. They're talking about having a cold, flu, and Corona season. If you "prep" for the flu, you might want to prep for this. Otherwise....eh
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    It's less deadly than the flu but since it's more transmissible it will probably end up infecting a third of the world's population and killing more than the flu. They're talking about having a cold, flu, and Corona season. If you "prep" for the flu, you might want to prep for this. Otherwise....eh
    Less deadly than the flu doesn’t seem accurate. Flu isn’t killing 2.2% like China is reporting (and you have to strongly suspect they are under-reporting). Flu is about 0.1% or less. We’ll probably get a better idea of the death rate by observing Italy over the next few weeks. Plus, the disease has been spreading pretty rapidly, but taking a long time to kill anyone. So the way they are calculating death rate is by total number of known cases compared to total deaths. So all those new diagnoses that haven’t had time to really feel the effects are being counted as not dead.

Additionally, China has in the neighborhood of 500 million people on lockdown. For reference, that about 1/20th of the world and about 1.5x the US’s population.

Not trying to get everyone riled up, but although there are a lot of unknowns at this point, it seems like it would be a pretty big deal if it got loose over here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raw numbers, not percentage.

https://news.yahoo.com/italy-put-12-...130957022.html

It took off in Italy like a wildfire. Empty grocery stores. The military enforcement of lockdowns. Be prepared. The CDC just said on Trump’s report that the spread is inevitable.

SARS was also a Coronavirus. It spread to more that two dozen countries including the U.S. This new one will probably follow a similar path

Chuck Schumer sees this as a "Golden" opportunity to get a couple $8.4billion in borrowed money out there floating around saving the world. If some of it lands in his and the DemocRats lap, well, ... it was the coronavirus's fault.....

SF declared a state of emergency and they have "0" cases. I guess the threat of coronavirus is scarier than people crapping in the streets.... Really though, crap in the streets, thousands of homeless crack/meth heads sharing needles, coronavirus pandemic on the way..... what could go wrong?

Alan

I know. Let's make California a sanctuary state. What could go wrong?

Aye. People are losing their minds. That's what people do, but that's not a symptom of the Corona virus.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Hope for the best and plan for the worse. If someone has to stay home with the children, ya might need to plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    SARS was also a Coronavirus. It spread to more that two dozen countries including the U.S. This new one will probably follow a similar path
    With SARS, I was working in a warehouse and we were forbidden to physically touch any cargo that came through the doors from Canada, wore gloves and masks when entering trucks to unload and the driver were given instructions to go into the breakroom and sit, and for the ones who refused to due that whether just plain stubborn due to language barriers a red square was drawn on the floor for them to stand, I never understood the reasoning, nothing they touched was cleaned and disinfected when they left, and the freight was handled by others who were not wearing protective anything.

On another note, there now has been a case of COVID-19 in California with no known contact with an infected person. They say that this cornavirus does not live on surfaces for long so getting infected through touching merchandise is slim to none. Maybe not the case??
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

It’s an over hyped transmissible bad flu. It’s the strings attached that could make it a problem. Such as quarantine, economy, school closures, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There were more cases of this thing in about a month than the entire nine month run of SARS. It’s evidently much more contagious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk