Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: So, how ‘bout that carona virus?

Well, beta-glucan...blah, but elderberry is pretty good. It's in Ricola.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

The plain old flu kills thousands every year despite flu shots and everything else. Two years ago two days before Christmas the wife of a good friend of mine got a little sick. By that night she was a lot sick. He took her to the ER. They sent her home, said it might be the flu. Christmas Eve she decorated the Church. Christmas Eve night she went back to the ER. She was dead by daybreak Christmas morning. The flu. Perfectly healthy woman 60 years old dead in two days from the regular flu. I'll bet the same scenario played out thousands of times across America but there was no mass hysteria spending the rent money on toilet paper...

Alan

I think most of the folks buying up the toilet paper, bleach and hand sanitizer are not hoarding it, they are waiting for stores to be sold out and then reselling it for a mark-up. They are creating a market for themselves by buying it all. A lady in a neighboring county was posting a case of the small personal sized hand sanitizers (48 per case) for $50 plus shipping costs to your location last week. It's a money making scheme.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Well, he is a doctor....

You know what they call the guy that graduated last in his class...doctor.

There is also another aspect to hoarding. The production and supply chain can get disrupted if a lot of people start getting sick and not reporting to work. Or if China decides they'll start playing hardball and not let us have a $hitload of stuff we depend on them for. It's not hard to imagine that scenario--at least that's what's what crosses my mind.

I don't have the space to hoard in a NYC apt but I've always believed in have a few months supply of anything, even more for food and meds. That's just how I roll.

BTW, here are some additional suggestions on prevention, some of which I haven't heard before. Certainly no harm in implementing.

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning: Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Also good advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid can kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and then the lungs. That's very dangerous.

SOME IMPORTANT FACTS:

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold.
    2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
    3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees C. (About 77 degrees F.) It hates the Sun.
    4. If someone sneezes with it, it goes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
    5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface, wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
    6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it
    7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
    8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
    9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
    10. Can't stress enough - drink plenty of water!

No tp in our Publix. I have a stash of 800 grit thats good to go though.

Do you use the 800 grit on an orbital, vibrating, or belt sander?

Just curious as to the most efficient process....

Alan

No no. Off grid prepared. Hand tools only.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had to go to the store this morning for normal stuff. Man! People are nuts. Bread and milk, gone. The longest check out line I've ever seen. They are creating an artificial shortage. People had cases and cases of water. Water! Do they think the area is going to become a desert? My son told me Disneyland had closed. I told him to cheer up. The sewage plant was still open. You have to keep stuff in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    You folks realize this will be an every year thing. Of course, people won't lose their minds about it every year because the mass hysteria will have died down.
    So the Johns Hopkins guy saying a million Americans might die not doing anything for you? I though Johns Hopkins was who we are supposed to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    The plain old flu kills thousands every year despite flu shots and everything else. Two years ago two days before Christmas the wife of a good friend of mine got a little sick. By that night she was a lot sick. He took her to the ER. They sent her home, said it might be the flu. Christmas Eve she decorated the Church. Christmas Eve night she went back to the ER. She was dead by daybreak Christmas morning. The flu. Perfectly healthy woman 60 years old dead in two days from the regular flu. I'll bet the same scenario played out thousands of times across America but there was no mass hysteria spending the rent money on toilet paper...

Alan
    We know how to treat the flu. We don't know how to treat this.

This is more infectious than flu.

This is deadlier than flu by a factor of 10 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    BTW, here are some additional suggestions on prevention, some of which I haven't heard before. Certainly no harm in implementing.

[FONT="]Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning: Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. [/FONT]
    [FONT="]
    [/FONT]

[FONT="]Also good advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid can kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and then the lungs. That's very dangerous.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]
    [/FONT]

SOME IMPORTANT FACTS:

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold.
    2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
    3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees C. (About 77 degrees F.) It hates the Sun.
    4. If someone sneezes with it, it goes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
    5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface, wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
    6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it
    7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
    8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
    9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
    10. Can't stress enough - drink plenty of water!
    Hmmm. Where did you find this? I'm pretty skeptical.

Nell, it's both. Listen to what people are saying at the checkout counter. We overheard two ladies wondering whether they should buy more soap or hand sanitizer. One said, "No. We should get more hand sanitizer. They're saying the power companies will shut down."

There are quite a few doctors in the John Hopkins system. Purely by chance, you can expect some to be fear-mongers. Folks like Cliff cherry pick the few that have their viewpoint for their arguments. The rest of us go to John Hopkins (the recommendations page and the other pages on the John Hopkins site...not cherry-picked individuals...for our information....or other reliable sources.

Our greatest enemy is indeed fear itself and fear-mongers are it's prophets.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Thanks, Benesse for the tips. Just one thing, this is the beginning of allergy season. With a lung inflammation (not necessarily an infection) you won't be able to hold your breath either. That particular test is laden with false positives.
    Last edited by WolfVanZandt; 03-13-2020 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    Nell, it's both. Listen to what people are saying at the checkout counter. We overheard two ladies wondering whether they should buy more soap or hand sanitizer. One said, "No. We should get more hand sanitizer. They're saying the power companies will shut down."

There are quite a few doctors in the John Hopkins system. Purely by chance, you can expect some to be fear-mongers. Folks like Cliff cherry pick the few that have their viewpoint for their arguments. The rest of us go to John Hopkins (the recommendations page and the other pages on the John Hopkins site...not cherry-picked individuals...for our information....or other reliable sources.

Our greatest enemy is indeed fear itself and fear-mongers are it's prophets.
    He's their senior scholar on emerging infectious disease, pandemic preparedness, and biosecurity. Not some random quack.

He's also specifically warned against being a toilet paper hoarding moron.

Hey, I don't hoard toilet paper. I can't deny the rest however.

I don't either. But I do hoard crunchy snacks. I can't get enough of them!