Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: So, how ‘bout that carona virus?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    I lived long enough to be on Medicare. I'm set ..... right?

I'm also glad I can't get the Coronavirus from hearing about it constantly.... I seldom watch the national news on one of the fake news stations, but I did today. If they said "Coronavirus" once they said it a thousand times, mostly preceded by the comment that Trump is not doing enough to stop it....

Alan
    I’m not sure anything he did would have mattered too much. Maybe some ways he could have slowed it down, but infected people were already out of Wuhan and all over the place before the rest of the world really knew how serious it was there. Pretty much inevitable at that point. We’ll ride it out and hopefully the damage is minimal and the economy isn’t too disrupted. Also, hopefully this doesn’t frequently mutate and become some constantly circulating illness with a fairly high death rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the article:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51674743

"Scientists' estimate of the death rate is lower because not all cases are reported."
    "But it depends on a range of factors: your age, sex and general health and the health system you are in."
    "Most cases of most viruses will go uncounted because people tend not to visit the doctor with mild symptoms."
    "...deaths were at least five times more common among people with diabetes, high blood pressure or heart or breathing problems.
    There was even a slightly higher number of deaths among men compared to women."
    "The basic advice from the WHO is that you can protect yourself from all respiratory viruses by washing your hands, avoiding people who are coughing and sneezing and trying not to touch your eyes, nose and mouth."

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

So, after all the hype and hoopla, the advice from WHO is to do the things that keep you from catching ANY respiratory virus. They don't say to buy thousands of dollars worth of alcohol, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, masks or ANYTHING for that matter. Just wash your hands, don't bite your finger nails, pick your nose or poke yourself in the eye(s)....

But, on the News at 10, they will say Coronavirus 1200 times because it sounds cool and perhaps the death toll may have increased by 1.....

Do I want to catch this thing? NO! Not any more or less than I want to catch any illness. I don't hold the rail on stairs, escalators or elevators. I don't touch anything in a public restroom. I stay away from sick people (and people in general). I take my vitamins and dietary supplements (some of them are anti-viral and immune system enhancers... at least that's what they say on the bottle).

So, even though I'm in all three high risk groups on the chart, chances are Ed MacMahon and the Prize Patrol will show up at my house twice in one week before I catch the Coronavirus..... Even though Ed is dead...

Alan

Medicaid has been good here in Denver. They make frequent mistakes but they urnestly try to fix them. The problem is that, if you have a medical emergency while they're making a mistake you might be dead running around trying to fix it. The red tape is serious.

It's red tape other countries don't seem to have, do why are there so many problems in our wonderful system that others seem to have beaten.

By the way, if you really want to take the "if you're not happy with the way things are here, you should go elsewhere" tact I'll be glad to 'ressle with you over that.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

From Fox News:
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ins...p-thinks-of-me

"The state has been the hardest hit by the coronavirus outbreak in the U.S., with at least 70 confirmed infections and 11 dead. Most of those who died were residents of Life Care Center, a nursing home in Kirkland, a suburb east of Seattle. Researchers say the virus may have been circulating undetected for weeks."

So, it got into a nursing home, remained undetected for weeks, and SOME, not all, of the old and infirm died....

That's hardly indicative of a pandemic of Black Death proportions like the Media is trying to hype up.

I was talking to a woman the other day, and she believed it was a biological weapons attack by China... So, people will believe anything except logic and reason...

Alan

Local news just reported that stores are running out of ......... soap.

This is getting comically ridiculous.

Meanwhile the CDC reports that 20,000 Americans have died from the Flu... 136 Children. More children have died of the flu than nursing home residents have died in total from Coronavirus. Talk about barking up the wrong tree...

But Steve Hilton...

https://www.foxnews.com/media/steve-...on-coronavirus

Steve Hilton spent much of his opening monologue Sunday slamming Democrats and the media, saying they've been stoking the flames of coronavirus panic with the country at risk of a "catastrophic overreaction."

"Of course, no one should minimize it, and we must do all we can to stop preventable deaths -- but it seems to me that we’ve got a bunch of people in leadership positions in the media and business and Congress who are running around maximizing coronavirus without a thought for the harm they may be causing," Hilton said on "The Next Revolution."

"The virus is here. It's going to spread. The vast majority of people who get it won't even know. As Dr. [Anthony] Fauci said today, we know who is at risk: the elderly and those with underlying conditions. For God's sake, let's put our efforts into protecting them."

"Stop this wild, reckless overreaction based on panic, not science."

"This is yet another example of an arrogant ruling elite with no understanding of, or empathy for, how precarious the lives of the poorest Americans are.

"That's what [Trump economic adviser] Larry Kudlow is doing. They are 100 percent right -- we don't need panic, we need to be positive and practical."

Thanks for the level head Steve.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 03-08-2020 at 11:09 PM.

Cases have know shown up in Ky and Indiana. One is Louisville is twenty minutes away from me, and there are three surrounding the Indianapolis area about 90 minutes from me, but closer to where Rick is from.

Bleach is back on the store shelves here or was, but now that the virus is proven so close maybe short lived, and hand sanitizer also is in short supply. I bet I had twenty emails yesterday on how to make your own hand sanitizer.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Both the cases in Indy are in self quarantine.

According to that chart above, if I get this thing when I check in to the hospital I'm going to tell them I'm 10-19 with no underlying health conditions and female. I should be over in a day or two.

Since this is a survival forum, let me make an admission...I'm a dirty person. I rarely wash my hands. I do wash then when I handle clean dishes and when I'm cooking for others. I don't mind dirt in my food when I'm camping. I enter nature with impunity defying rain, storm, mud, and animal byproducts (like ham. I love ham!) And I clean up messes without gloves (and I used to work at a camp for disabled children and adults...some of the messes I've cleaned up). I'll sleep anywhere...in a tub, under a bush, under a bridge. I'm an animal.

There's this thing about survival, though. If you aren't exposed to something, you don't develop defenses against it.

As dirty as I am. If I catch almost anything, I'm over it in three days. Injuries...three days. I had a broken arm once it took a week to heal. I've had two "novel viruses" it took five (whoa! Five!) days to get over.

Part of that is my natural immunity. My Neanderthal traits will kill off any virus...then they come after me. Fair trade. But a large part is that I avoid nothing and appreciate everything. Attitude is Big. I will live until I die and I appreciate (in the sense of art appreciation) everything in between.

Cliff, you sound like a very fearful person, or someone who wants everyone else to be fearful, or both. I hope you're actually reading other threads on this forum. You may end up in the woods one day.
    Last edited by WolfVanZandt; 03-09-2020 at 02:15 PM.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Not me. I wash everything. Twice. Sometimes three times. If it's coming for me I'm not going down without a fight. That germ will have to wade through the soapsuds to get me. It will have to swim through the alcohol to get me. It will have to fly through aerial disinfectants to get me. It will have to crawl through floor sanitizers to get me. There's a sign outside my house that says. Germ! Abandon all hope ye who enter here. And I mean it. I'm a modern man that has adopted modern methods including germ warfare. (see what I did there?)

Fear can be constructive, panic never is. Be aware of the difference.
    You've got nothing to loose by being vigorously pro-active in doing everything you can in order to minimize coming down with it. Don't get too cocky over your strong immune system (so far) or the fact you weathered other viruses and infections with ease--there are a lot of unknowns about COVID-19 and its unpredictability ought to give everyone a healthy dose of fear.

As with any disease, catching it early is better than late. Watch and see isn't always smart--we've all either experienced that ourselves or had a loved one go through it. Wouldn't you rather hear "it's nothing serious" rather than "if only you've gotten here sooner"?

You don't know what you don't know, so why take chances?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Not me. I wash everything. Twice. Sometimes three times. If it's coming for me I'm not going down without a fight. That germ will have to wade through the soapsuds to get me. It will have to swim through the alcohol to get me. It will have to fly through aerial disinfectants to get me. It will have to crawl through floor sanitizers to get me. There's a sign outside my house that says. Germ! Abandon all hope ye who enter here. And I mean it. I'm a modern man that has adopted modern methods including germ warfare. (see what I did there?)

+1. Rick..

I believe that the conversations in this topic have been civil. Hopefully they will remain so. Regardless of your personal level of concern regarding the Corona Virus (or any other potential illness), there is nothing wrong with trying to minimize your risks. Letting others know of the potential risks is a positive thing IMO. Weaponizing an illness (hasn't happened here) to create fear or gain profit is wrong. By profit I mean scaring people into doing something for your gain be it monetary or political.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There have been movements to outlaw things like extreme sports (like my favorite - freestyle rock climbing) and, of course what's happened to playgrounds in the last 50 years or so.

My position is to not avoid risks but to approach them rationally. Learning happens when you take risks and that's how we adapt to situations.

People who never expose themselves to novel situation don't aren't prepared when the situation happens to them.

I hope you've read the research (or, at least reports based on them) that trace these "novel pathogens" to our "antiseptic culture". We're bombarded with antiseptics and antibodies in our foods, handwash, cleaners - and irresponsible prescribing by doctors who just want to please their paying patients to the point that competing pathogens are eliminated so the more Hardy, more dangerous pathogens get to grow and evolve.

The plagues during the middle ages almost wiped us out because of unregulated filth. We're going to finish the job by being too clean.

Aristotle was big on the middle road. He had a lot of things wrong, but I think he had this one right.

Too much risk aversion is deadly.

Survival is knowing how to build a knife, start a fire, or purify water. The sciences and technologies make up 1/5 of your local library. The rest is important, too. And knowledge isn't enough either. If you wait for a crisis to be ready for it, you won't survive. Ability to govern self and maintanence of an adaptible body are also important as is the ability to get away from our biases long enough to assess real reality.
    Last edited by WolfVanZandt; 03-09-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Heh. To quote my favorite infamous psychologist, "How's that working for them." Wait for it....

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    Since this is a survival forum, let me make an admission...I'm a dirty person. I rarely wash my hands. I do wash then when I handle clean dishes and when I'm cooking for others. I don't mind dirt in my food when I'm camping. I enter nature with impunity defying rain, storm, mud, and animal byproducts (like ham. I love ham!) And I clean up messes without gloves (and I used to work at a camp for disabled children and adults...some of the messes I've cleaned up). I'll sleep anywhere...in a tub, under a bush, under a bridge. I'm an animal.

There's this thing about survival, though. If you aren't exposed to something, you don't develop defenses against it.

As dirty as I am. If I catch almost anything, I'm over it in three days. Injuries...three days. I had a broken arm once it took a week to heal. I've had two "novel viruses" it took five (whoa! Five!) days to get over.

Part of that is my natural immunity. My Neanderthal traits will kill off any virus...then they come after me. Fair trade. But a large part is that I avoid nothing and appreciate everything. Attitude is Big. I will live until I die and I appreciate (in the sense of art appreciation) everything in between.

Cliff, you sound like a very fearful person, or someone who wants everyone else to be fearful, or both. I hope you're actually reading other threads on this forum. You may end up in the woods one day.
    You seem kind of all over the place. On the one hand I’m really fearful. On the other, everything is some crazy conspiracy against you. Did you read the last paragraph you wrote? Are you understanding how the first sentence and the next two are insanely contradictory?

Good luck to you man. You may be right and it may end up being no big deal here. I’m not sure random anecdotes and self-identified traits from an inferior hominid are going to do much for you.

Heh. To quote my favorite infamous psychologist, "How's that working for them." Wait for it....
    The quarantine in China has effectively stopped the disease in its tracks.

Aye. It's contradictory. I'm a psychologist so conflicted people don't surprise me.

According to a lot of anthropologist, Neanderthal wasn't necessarily inferior. But the traits that modern hominids carry from Neanderthal most certainly don't imply inferiority.

But, fact is, I think they'll, (the anecdotes and such) will serve me pretty well around people that know what I'm talking about.

Aye. It's contradictory. I'm a psychologist so conflicted people don't surprise me.

According to a lot of anthropologist, Neanderthal wasn't necessarily inferior. But the traits that modern hominids carry from Neanderthal most certainly don't imply inferiority.

But, fact is, I think they'll, (the anecdotes and such) will serve me pretty well around people that know what I'm talking about.
    Most anthropologists are working with the Freemasons to keep you from voting.

Nah. But if you want to bust myths about Neanderthal, and you seem to need that, they're the ones you go to.