Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: So, how ‘bout that carona virus?

I loves stories, telling them and hearing them. My favorite teaching method is sharing stories. But I have a weird quirk

Folks stop their story when the point is made, but I'm never satisfied. I guess Paul Harvey and I have the same affliction.

So Nell, did he ever figure it out?
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Keep in mind, we're still in cold and flu season headed into allergy season. Don't you know that's throwing gasoline on the fire.

I was with one of my housemates the other day shopping when I sneezed. I threw my hands up and shouted, "It's allergies!" The woman next to us was amused.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Default Remember...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are one bad kitty.

Maybe businesses should stop the sales. My almost 90 yo in-laws want to go for things on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    I loves stories, telling them and hearing them. My favorite teaching method is sharing stories. But I have a weird quirk

Folks stop their story when the point is made, but I'm never satisfied. I guess Paul Harvey and I have the same affliction.

So Nell, did he ever figure it out?
    No, he never did. He never went out to a bar again, to my knowledge,but the sad thing is, I did. I learned that he was a sorry SOB, that would never change his ways regarding money, He learned that from his mother. He had little regard for being an upstanding citizen when it came to paying for things that mattered with his money, like bills, food (thank God I was raised a country girl and could fish and clean game animals to feed my kids, rabbit, squirrels and fish made a huge part of our meals as was whatever vegetable I could grow in the limited space available when you rent), diapers of course (and he was dead set against cloth diapers), generally anything that most men and women would feel an obligation to do, he did not.

I learned early on that if I left him, he would never pay child support for his kids, he had a son by another marriage that he stopped paying support for, changing jobs frequently and paying his support just enough to keep the courts from garnishing his checks. Until about 1993, he had finally accrued enough back support that When he showed up for yet another contempt of court hearing, they gave him three options pay his arrears before leaving court, go to jail, or sign his rights away. Guess which option he chose? Guess what the magic number was to break the heart of a little boy? $1200. His obligation per week was $35, and he was too selfish after a couple of years of us being married, to make sure that little boy didn't go without. His son wasn't worth spending a few days in jail. His son wasn't worth giving up his tax check for.

There were many more times that he saw my temper, but after I bought a pistol, every time we'd fight, he'd grab the pistol and take off claiming he was just going to kill himself. And he'd stay gone all night. I never once called to cops to go find him. He was too chicken. I finally sold my gun because I hated my kids being subjected to that crap, although I'm not sure they ever figured out what his purpose was in taking off with the gun.

My kids know their father, something his oldest son does not, he was three years old when $35 a week was too much. And I hate the choice I made for my kids.

I did eventually leave him after our kids were out of the house. And now he is in the Philippines married to a girl one year older than our daughter, and has two more kids. And he has been close to getting a divorce at least once already.

And that's only part of the story, just a few of the many lows (in my best Paul Harvey voice).
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

And how are you and your kids?

This looks to disrupt things for a long time! Many schools have announced the remainder of the school year has been cancelled (or changed to distance education). My employer has us working from home at least til May, perhaps longer. I work for a nonprofit and it's likely that we'll continue to be paid for however long this lasts. My brother and sister both work jobs that are considered by their employers to be critical or essential, so they're probably okay unless things get Italy-level bad.

Stay safe everyone! Wash your hands and avoid the madding crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    This looks to disrupt things for a long time! Many schools have announced the remainder of the school year has been cancelled (or changed to distance education). My employer has us working from home at least til May, perhaps longer. I work for a nonprofit and it's likely that we'll continue to be paid for however long this lasts. My brother and sister both work jobs that are considered by their employers to be critical or essential, so they're probably okay unless things get Italy-level bad.

Stay safe everyone! Wash your hands and avoid the madding crowds.
    Wouldn't be shocked if there are some major shutdowns announced this weekend.

Sounds like there are already a few cases of some fairly young people getting into serious condition. I hope they publicize that kind of thing to keep these college-aged kids from doing any more damage.

If they do a shutdown... there's an incubation period of about 4-6 days. So some people will be staying home, but will still get sick. Then they'll probably wait a day or two after developing symptoms, praying it's something else. Then go get tested. Test takes 6 days. So that likely means we won't see a reduction in numbers 2 weeks in. So we might tack on another two weeks. A whole month of lockdown is going to be really rough on the old economy.

I saw pictures of Clearwater, Florida yesterday and spring break was going on as usual. The beaches were packed. One guy said there are no door handles on the beach. Brilliant. Invincible folks being really dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I saw pictures of Clearwater, Florida yesterday and spring break was going on as usual. The beaches were packed. One guy said there are no door handles on the beach. Brilliant. Invincible folks being really dumb.
    Sorry about your lungs, Grandma. I just had to get my drink on.

Crescent Beach, FL has spring breakers coming in by the van load. And I mean van LOAD. Young and indestructible. Until they arent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    As with everything of consequence one learns the hard and often painful way. Young and old alike. We (esp. on this forum) weren't born this way; it's school of hard knocks combined with learning from others' mistakes that makes a lasting impression. Someone who has lived through the great depression and the ravages of WW2 is foreever changed and maybe something positive will come out of this pandemic as well.

I am blown away with what a differencee a week makes. Only a week ago I ordereed TP from Amazon (just in case) and was able to still buy Clorox and Lysol wipes. Now it's non existant and it has occured to me for the first time that we need to be more mindful w/ the use of TP as well as paper towels. Yesterday I bought the last box of Tylenol only because it was placed under the "arthritis" sign as opposed to "pain relievers". That shelf was empty of anything acitaminophen related. Everywhere.

Yesterday I got an e-blast notification that a neighborhood hardware storee had gotten a batch of hand sanitizers and are selling them at cost for $9.99/8oz and 6 to a customer. I ran out and bought 6 (just in case) and let my neighbor know who also went out and bought some. The stores said 2 weeks ago they'll be restocking the stuff that flew off the shelves but they haven't yet. Not in our hood in Manhattan.

Today we have made up our minds to really stay in and not go out into the stores unless we absolutely have to. Hard to maintain 6' distance when shopping and waiting in line. Walking in the park is still great, thank God we have it just a block away. I havee never seen the city bee so empty of people and cars in the 32 years we've lived here. Kind of nice, kind of spooky--like a doomsday scenario come to life.

I walked over to Fiddler's Green yesterday to take some photos of the statues there. The traffic was sparse but there were a lot of people out walking. I'm be never seen so many happy, friendly people around here.

Maybe we oughta have this corona thing more often...uh, I guess we will.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if there's a spike in new cases after spring break.

Think I’ll go get some cash before they close the bank.

Default Looking forward

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Crescent Beach, FL has spring breakers coming in by the van load. And I mean van LOAD. Young and indestructible. Until they arent.
    A good portion of them very well may be indestructible as far as COVID-19 is concerned. The problem is they act as carriers. The more people walking around the virus the higher the chance that Grandma with emphysema gets it and dies, likely after occupying up a hospital bed some other patient desperately needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our bank closed the lobby last Tuesday. Drive up and ATM only. I just happened to have gone to the bank last Friday so I'm good for a while. Still have online access too.

Same here. Lobby closed but, drive through was open.