Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: So, how ‘bout that carona virus?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The greatest remedy on the face of the earth was mom's chicken soup and goose fat generously applied to the neck and covered with a flannel rag. That would cure leprosy. Coal oil and sugar never cured anything but you professed to be cured so you didn't get another dose. That was some nasty stuff.
    I never had the goose fat remedy, probably because not geese were at hand. Vick's Vapo Rub was my mom's go to remedy.

The Doctor we went to would give you a shot then ask what was wrong with us. If we found out that we were going to the Dr everybody got well real fast. We didn't have any inclination to fake sickness to miss school. School held no horrors like staying home sick.

Alan

Mustrola...you haven't lived until. And Sal Hapatica
    Boy, what they did to us!
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I can actually remember being quarantined in my home as a kid. I had the mumps. They placed a sign on the front door. That was before MMR vaccines. My buddy down the street got quarantined as well but I don't remember if that was for mumps or measles. Those of us that are really old remember what life was like before vaccines. I tell my kids GET THE SHOT! My son told me today he was worried about being quarantined (missing work). I said you don't know what quarantined means.
    Remember it well. I was relegated to the hide-a-bed in the living room while the doctor (with his little black bag) made house calls.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We had a regular ward. My two next youngest sisters and I all had the damn things at the same time. We were all in one bedroom together. All I remember is how dark and gloomy it was in there. The moaning and groaning and crying and stuff didn't help any either. Then we all got the measles and the next year the chicken pox and German Measles, in addition to my youngest sister being born. I really don't know how my mom did it. She was a Super Mom!

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 03-13-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    Mustrola...you haven't lived until. And Sal Hapatica
    Boy, what they did to us!
    I don't know about those things. That's probably a good thing.

Alan

Do your Best and that’s it

Aye. They had a laxative called "black draught". It was advertised as "mild". If it was mild, so is strychnine. There were some terrible things back then to help cure hookyitis.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

We learned early on no to mention feeling sick, and certainly not IRREGULARITY at my grandmother's house. She had some "cures" that would make a witch doctor blanche!

When we moved, I was going through some of my old stuff and I found a letter one of my little sisters wrote to me during a Summer stay at my grandmother's house. She felt the need to tell me she had "thrown up" her red worm medicine. Momaw took visits as an opportunity to cure anything we had for the whole year. I don't remember having worms.

I was always up and outta there with my grandfather and stayed gone with him all day, so I was safe. My sisters were trapped.

Alan

There's a book, Henley's Twentieth Century Formulas, Recipes, and Processes. In addition to being fascinating, and even useful if you know what you're doing, it also makes me wonder how humanity survived to the present day

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53143

Ah, okay, the whole, huge tome is here:

https://archive.org/details/cu319240...ge/n6/mode/2up

We got dewormed every spring. I have no idea what was in that bottle but I'm certain it killed worms. It damned near killed us. We also received an occasional dose of mineral oil and orange juice. I'm not sure what the orange juice was added because no matter how hard you shook that mixture it always separated. We must be a lot tougher than this younger generation because the weak ones back then surely died from home remedies.

I don't know how many saw the President's speech yesterday but Google is working on a website that will allow you to input your symptoms then tell you if you should be tested for the coronavirus. If YES then you will be able to drive to a Walmart, CVS, Target or Walgreens and be tested in the parking lot and receive the results in 24-36 hours. Drive through testing. I thought that was pretty innovative thinking. Google has some 1400+ programmers working on the website and it's supposed to be up and running shortly. There is supposed to be another announcement Sunday so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Give it up Cliff. I'm hopeless. I lived through imminent crispy critter death of the Cold War, the mind bending 70's, Y2K, then the Rapture left me behind, Obama, and now this exponentially deadly disease.... I ain't fraid of nuthin, ceptin that curly headed woman in the TV room....

I hope you're wrong Cliff. Gloom and Doom is the pits...

Alan
    I'm really not doom and gloom. I have no bunker. I have about the same amount of food in my house as I always do. The only prepping I've done was get ahead of the rush on gloves, masks, and distilled water, all of which I need for work.

This isn't the apocalypse, but it's going to have a very real impact on our lives. Hopefully it's nothing more than a temporary inconvenience and a very small number of people getting seriously ill.
    Last edited by Cliff Booth; 03-14-2020 at 08:38 AM.

I don't know how many saw the President's speech yesterday but Google is working on a website that will allow you to input your symptoms then tell you if you should be tested for the coronavirus. If YES then you will be able to drive to a Walmart, CVS, Target or Walgreens and be tested in the parking lot and receive the results in 24-36 hours. Drive through testing. I thought that was pretty innovative thinking. Google has some 1400+ programmers working on the website and it's supposed to be up and running shortly. There is supposed to be another announcement Sunday so we'll see.
    They have a bomb-defusing robot that's going to roll out to the parking lot to administer the test.

But in seriousness, very encouraging to see private enterprise stepping up to the plate.

Aye. They had a laxative called "black draught". It was advertised as "mild". If it was mild, so is strychnine. There were some terrible things back then to help cure hookyitis.
    Here the laxative was Fletcher's Castoria, whew, that was bad. And The Vic's Vapo rub on our chest with a towel heated in the oven laid over top of it before bed at night.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

We got dewormed every spring. I have no idea what was in that bottle but I'm certain it killed worms. It damned near killed us. We also received an occasional dose of mineral oil and orange juice. I'm not sure what the orange juice was added because no matter how hard you shook that mixture it always separated. We must be a lot tougher than this younger generation because the weak ones back then surely died from home remedies.
    Mineral Oil and orange juice... They used to suggest that remedy to women to try to induce labor. That's some powerful $h!t right there.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I see what you did there.

My father used to use Vaseline on his hair. His hair didn't turn gray or white, it looked like glass fiber so, when he put Vaseline on it, it was black again.

He ran out of Vaseline once and decided to use mineral oil. Turns out it works just as well absorbed through your scalp as by mouth.

My father used to use Vaseline on his hair. His hair didn't turn gray or white, it looked like glass fiber so, when he put Vaseline on it, it was black again.

He ran out of Vaseline once and decided to use mineral oil. Turns out it works just as well absorbed through your scalp as by mouth.
    I hope he was close to a facility when it kicked in.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Aye, he was at home, but he spent quite some time in just one room for the next couple of days.