Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: So, how ‘bout that carona virus?

After 47 years in the medical community, both training 20 years in Auburn University training for a health profession and 20 years of practice, I am convinced that if an organization has initials that begin and end "A" they're evil to the core. That's not conspiracy theory, that's my experience, that's academic research articles, and that's news articles like:
    https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/r...velation/72407

https://www.bloomberg.com/quicktake/drug-prices

As a result, I don't trust much of anyone "out there". I will look at organizations like John Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic because they seem to be somewhat less infected by
    corporate greed than most resources. But they also support the drug companies that are bleeding the country dry.

My real recommendation:

You folks have lived for how many years through how many crises that have turned out to be tempests in teapot stirred up by people who are concerned for their own interests? If you're too young for that, look to the past (I'm not stupid enough to appeal to the experience of older people). People don't study history now days and that's a crying ( and dangerous) shame. Study your own experiences. Ask why things happen the way you observe them to happen. Approach things critically and make rational decisions.

And don't swallow what fear-mongers want to feed you.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

NCAA just gave up a billion in advertising revenue so you’d buy more drugs. Open your eyes people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These Italian doctors saying Northern Italy is completely overwhelmed must be just making bank on their crazy lies.

On a happier note...............my Christmas shopping is done.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Cool. I love the decor.

Cliff, NCAA doesn't have an initial A. I just pinched myself. I'm awake.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Dead link?

I couldn't open it.

There's a limited number of ways to "treat" a virus. You either proactively treat it with a vaccine if there is one, or you try to keep the fever down and let it run it's course. There are some antiviral meds but I'm not sure how they work or if they work.

We believe you believe what you believe Cliff. Others have that right too. Caution is not the same thing as hand wringing.

Alan

Italy has about 15,000 cases nationally. I'm not certain that's overwhelmed but so be it. You seem to think that the medical community is ill equipped to handle such an outbreak yet you forget that the military has the reserve capacity to set up hospitals with like facilities in hot zones to add expanded capacity. That is true of National Guard and regular military. Most nations have that capacity. This is one more disease that will pass. Practice proper hygiene, keep your finger out of your nose, don't sneeze on each other and stop hoarding stuff.

And none of us are blowing this thing off. It's just that we know that hysteria isn't the answer. Also, many of us are old enough to have been stung multiple times by the health system in the past. You're not going to convince us if their purity and self-denying attitudes.

Also, "open your eyes folks" will not win you a cupie doll. Being an undergrad in anthropology doesn't make you an anthropologist. Many of us have been around several times, probably, before you were born. We're not stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    There's a limited number of ways to "treat" a virus. You either proactively treat it with a vaccine if there is one, or you try to keep the fever down and let it run it's course. There are some antiviral meds but I'm not sure how they work or if they work.

We believe you believe what you believe Cliff. Others have that right too. Caution is not the same thing as hand wringing.

Alan
    I’m probably exposed to more people every day than the majority of the board, but I’m still at work putting my face in other peoples’.

All I really care about anyone here accepting is: This is a serious situation. This is not some conspiracy. Just because Costco shoppers are acting crazy does not mean the entirety of the situation is crazy.

I can actually remember being quarantined in my home as a kid. I had the mumps. They placed a sign on the front door. That was before MMR vaccines. My buddy down the street got quarantined as well but I don't remember if that was for mumps or measles. Those of us that are really old remember what life was like before vaccines. I tell my kids GET THE SHOT! My son told me today he was worried about being quarantined (missing work). I said you don't know what quarantined means.

Mumps, measles, etc... sick like a sombich and all there was was aspirin and a cool washrag. Don't bite the thermometer cause then mercury would run down your throat. Ever had a Merthiolate swab in your throat? Tastes terrible, works great. Got a fever? Pile on the blankets until you sweat it out. Thank God I came along after tetanus shots. I would have died before I could walk. Seems like I was getting those things all the time. Most of the time if we got sick, we were just sick, freakin 104 fever, delirious, ice came from ice trays and it was hard to keep up with a good strong fever in NO AC.

Ah, the good old days before Nanny Sam took such good care of us.

Alan

Cliff, I think you said it was more infectious and 10 times as deadly a while back.

40 dead as of today. Only 349,999,960 Americans left to go.

More people died on US highways today than of the coronavirus so far.

But the CDC today suggested that everyone spend all their money on hand sanitizer, baby wipes and TP..... Oh, wait they didn't say that....

Alan

The greatest remedy on the face of the earth was mom's chicken soup and goose fat generously applied to the neck and covered with a flannel rag. That would cure leprosy. Coal oil and sugar never cured anything but you professed to be cured so you didn't get another dose. That was some nasty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Cliff, I think you said it was more infectious and 10 times as deadly a while back.

40 dead as of today. Only 349,999,960 Americans left to go.

More people died on US highways today than of the coronavirus so far.

But the CDC today suggested that everyone spend all their money on hand sanitizer, baby wipes and TP..... Oh, wait they didn't say that....

Alan
    I said that or the head of the NIH said that?

Do you understand how exponential growth works? The idea that it isn't a big deal because it's not serious right now is just hilarious. Do you recall what Italy looked like a couple of weeks ago?
    Last edited by Cliff Booth; 03-13-2020 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    And none of us are blowing this thing off. It's just that we know that hysteria isn't the answer. Also, many of us are old enough to have been stung multiple times by the health system in the past. You're not going to convince us if their purity and self-denying attitudes.

Also, "open your eyes folks" will not win you a cupie doll. Being an undergrad in anthropology doesn't make you an anthropologist. Many of us have been around several times, probably, before you were born. We're not stupid.
    Some recent Wolf quotes:

"the flu is scarier. Cars are definitely scarier."

"Now they're (China) losing there minds over a cold?"

"This is not a pandemic"- You then implied China is faking all this in order to sell surgical masks.

"Heck, if we're all quarantined on election day, we just won't have an election, will we?"

"If you have a compromised immune system, you should be concerned about this virus, but otherwise, it's not a big deal."

"rates are tools for mass manipulation."

"Government definitely wants you to stay inside."

"And what I'm also saying is that what marketers, politicians, and big name business people want is for you to lose your marbles."
    Yeah, panic has really done wonders for the value of big business stocks.

"I will call it no big deal as long as the medical experts (in my case, John Hopkins and Mayo - hmmm, now I'm hungry) call it no big deal."
    I bring up JH canceling sporting events and their head infectious disease guy saying it's a potential catastrophe and now that's also written off as fear-mongering.

"This new cold"

There's probably a few more in there. Sure seems like you are blowing it off as a minor issue and having a hard time deciding between politicians, big business, drug companies, media, China, and whichever other crazy conspiracy.

I'll continue to post expert opinion and statistical analysis. You can take solace in possibly being older than me.

Lol. Two weeks ago i said to the kid that he should get some provisions. As usual I was given the nah. Today he can’t find any TP. Bend over and wait for the garden hose. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Booth View Post
    I said that or the head of the NIH said that?

Do you understand how exponential growth works?
    Yes, and so does the toilet paper industry....

Alan

Give it up Cliff. I'm hopeless. I lived through imminent crispy critter death of the Cold War, the mind bending 70's, Y2K, then the Rapture left me behind, Obama, and now this exponentially deadly disease.... I ain't fraid of nuthin, ceptin that curly headed woman in the TV room....

I hope you're wrong Cliff. Gloom and Doom is the pits...

Alan