Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maters and taters

I like spam just about anyway you can fix it. I don't like it posted, though.

Sorry so late to this thread. Planted most all of our 29 raised beds by June 1 (taters went in 4/25 even though it was bitter cold, the soil registered at 50-55F at depth). Maters went in over many days - done on 6/15.
    171 linear feet of taters with only yukon and reds. All from our last year taters that went to seed. Fighting the Colorado Beetle now but all are blossoming so hopeful

OK I know this is hard to believe as there is only DH and me, but I PLANTED 421 TOMATO PLANTS AND ALL ARE LIVING. Counted this week. In my defense, last year I planted 114 and we had terrible weather and a very lousy crop. Where I usually can 30-40 quarts, last year only got enough for 8 quarts. And most years I 'sun-dry' to chewiness about 5 gallon freezer bags and we didn't get a full one. (we had record cold in May last year and then massive flooding in our county so I was worried it would happen again.)

About 72 cabbages 1/2 red, 1/2 green. We slice into 1" thick rounds and roast as cabbage steaks so love these. Beans are growing but I will do a second crop. Carrots failed already (too cold after they started to come up)so will start again when I pull early potatoes.

Anyhow, apologies for not being here at all for so long but unrelated to the pandemic we have had 3 family deaths and dementia is affecting my inlaws and we are on call a lot with them but live a 4.5 hour round trip so I just dropped off the face of the earth here.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

My condolences on your losses. I sure do understand about living at distance from family. I was four hours one way from mom and dad so when their time of need came it was pretty difficult. I don't begrudge a single second but distance does make it harder.

Sounds like you have been incredibly busy with the "farm". What a bounty you will harvest out of that!

"They planted seeds in the fields and vineyards, and they had a good harvest." That will be my prayer for you.

@rick Thank you so much. It was 1/month all sudden and hard. Uncle who we luckily had just seen, fell at home and died the next day. Dear cousin (we lived above them as children so very close) was at my place for a party 9/21 - fine- diagnosed with pancreatic cancer (from which her dad died) and lasted 6 weeks- dead on Black Friday. Just really sad time.

We truly blessed in that DH's parents, though very fragile, some dementia, and lots of cancers/ill health ARE still with us. Getting them here on our homestead for 7/3-7/6. Our wonderful sister in law is going from Madison to Milwaukee (1 hour) then back up to our place (2+ hours) then beverages (!!) and food for her and then home to Madison so another 1.5 hours just to get them here. We were going to do the 5 hour rd-trip (due to holiday Chicago traffic) but she insisted. Looking forward to walking them both through the garden (with walkers...) and a very relaxing time. Working to finalze planting for later maters and may SNEAK some early taters for our holiday meals.

My poor mom totally healthy at 88, Thank God, lives in Florida and cannot come up nor can we go down. Had to cancel 2 family vacations with our DDs and their spouses in both April and May due to "Covidia"

Very glad to have the garden for distraction. I do cook, bake and give meals to parishioners who need them so will really appreciate if I have a big harvest. They seem to like my "Seamus Kennedy Chili" (bottle o'beer in each pot!) and lasagna so all cooking takes MATERS!
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

So sorry for your losses SG.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I love Madison. I had an office I supported in Sun Prairie for a number of years. As well as Plymouth, Wausau and Portage. Spent most of my time in Sun Prairie, though. Wisconsin is a great state, yea, for sure.