Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maters and taters

Default Maters and taters

Planted the taters and started the ‘mater seed.

It was 3 degrees this morning. 3 degrees. Ugh.

I waited too long to plant the tomato seeds. I'll just have to get seedlings. I saw an incredible amount of potatoes come out of Alaskan gardens when we were up there.

It’s raining here this morning. Hopefully I can get around to planting the squash and onion in the next day or two.

Probably no garden for us this year. Lots of traveling planned.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Have the onions and artichokes seeds started under lights a month ago.
    Trying Roselle shrubs again this year (iffy things) and have some alpine strawberry seedlings up.
    Next weekend is the eggplant, broccoli and cabbage seeds.
    'maters don't get started until mid-March.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Same, mid March. Started mine from seed in the green house. We’ll see what happens. In the past I haven’t had much luck with tomato seed. They come up and die. If they all make it I’ll have a hundred plants. lol

you`ll say what your doing as far as a garden and i can`t tell where you live i live in N.C. and i`d like to compare it to where everyone lives - sorry i just had to vent

Looking good.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's some good looking dirt in that tater field.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

New here, just planted a few tomatoes earlier this morning. I'll plant a few more tomorrow, I am also planning to clean a bit and put some things on a cabinet. Thankfully I just bought a folding wheelbarrow https://gardeningfacts.org/best-whee...arrow-reviews/ that will help me a lot in lifting so much pieces of stuff.
    Last edited by Yelmquizz; 04-08-2020 at 02:19 AM.

In 2-3 weeks I’m going to have an estimated 1000 potatoes. I can maybe give half to family, friends and neighbors. That still leaves a lot to put up. Do to the high water table we don’t have a basement or root cellar. I was thinking about trying the trash can storage for some, just to see if it works. The rest I need to can and/or freeze. Canning would be labor intensive and pricey for tatters with the jars and lids. So, I’m thinking about making bags of French fries and some grated for hash browns for freezing. I don’t have a dehydrator and not keen on running the oven for this. Any thoughts or other ideas?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

1,000 potatoes is not really that much, perhaps 100 lbs or so. If you lay them in the sun to dry, inspect them and eat the damaged ones quickly, and keep them cool and dry 100 pounds should be eaten up pretty quickly.

Probably freezing what you can not eat within a couple of months is the best choice of all the storage methods.

I have been on a carb free diet for years but I understand that other folks eat a lot of carbs when they are available. Two people eating two pounds of spuds, baked, boiled, smashed or fried each day will go through 100 pounds of potatoes before they can rot anyway.

If you eat just one pound the supply will probably be gone within 2-3 months so you could keep them in any dry place out of the sunlight. Potatoes last a long time if you don't get them wet and sprout them, even then you can remove the sprouts and eat them anyway.

https://www.survivalsullivan.com/potatoes-storage/
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Ok, thanks for the help

@ rebel......Sorry, couldn't resist.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

lol, might be true but, the misses broke her arm a few weeks ago. Probably hard to dig with one arm.

I’ve been working on irrigation 609C97CE-89B1-4E1F-900B-14C5A9AE2A6D.jpg