Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite .22?

Blog Entries

This thread could be moved to the "Guns and Ammo" page.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Done. I've been moving them as I come across them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    I had a 10/22 for many years. It was a great gun and was deadly accurate. I had put a custom trigger group in it. Then I shot a friends BL-22. It was love at first shot.

"If you want something bad enough you'll convince yourself you need it".
    "If you need something long enough you'll have it".

Several years ago I became the happy owner of a Browning BL-22.
    "Deadly accurate?" Custom trigger pull must have done it. I've had five 10-22s over the years, and while they were fun plinkers, they were certainly not deadly accurate. Rough trigger pulls, lot of creep, even on the "deluxe" version (beautiful wood).
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

My favorite .22lr, a Cooey single shot with peep sights had since I was a kid.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Hey RBB i know this is off topic but i would love to hear some of your stories from that trap line you had when you was 11 you should make a thread about it .

And i dont own a 22 rifle ive been looking into some of the light weight 22 survival rifles but i do have a 22 revolver witch last time i shot it, it rickashade right into my leg lol
    Last edited by KimmyHead; 04-28-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KimmyHead View Post
    And i dont own a 22 rifle ive been looking into some of the light weight 22 survival rifles but i do have a 22 revolver witch last time i shot it, it rickashade right into my leg lol
    I don't know that I would have used lol after that statement, buy might I suggest a gun/hunter safety course.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    might I suggest a gun/hunter safety course.
    I asure you i did nothing unsafe it was pretty much a freak accident the only thing i can figure is the bullets where old and i got hit by 2 different pieces of lead so im thinking the years did somthing to the lead.

I asure you i did nothing unsafe it was pretty much a freak accident the only thing i can figure is the bullets where old and i got hit by 2 different pieces of lead so im thinking the years did somthing to the lead.
    If you pulled the trigger and ended up with a bullet or bullet fragment in your leg - all the assuring in the world will not convince me that you did nothing unsafe. I understand that accidents happen. What were you shooting at? What distance was the target? In your sight picture what was behind the target?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i would say 25-30 yards away i was shoting a metal target hit it dead on and there was a mountain behind it.

i would say 25-30 yards away i was shoting a metal target hit it dead on and there was a mountain behind it.
    Well there ya go. Shooting a metal target at 25 yards with a projectile traveling around 1000 fps - ricochet should be expected.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

lol whatever you say guess you cant belive the disclaimer on the target saying 25 yards is a safe shooting distance

Just giving you a hard time. But let me ask about the target. Was it the knock down style and was it intended for use with a 22?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

yep knock down style intended for a 22

Just seems kind of close for a metal target. If your aim is off and you hit the frame, you will get ricochet every time. Oh well, glad you're OK.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Growing up, my dad had a Glenfield .22, 15-shot, tube-fed. It is a great gun, but it's his.
    When I got my first .22, I got a Ruger 10/22. I polished the trigger and action, installed a bolt buffer, got rid of the barrel band (this one shoots better without it), floated the barrel, put on a bipod and got a BIG scope.
    I can sit at the range at the 200-yard line and bust 4" clays all day long. I LOVE to see people's faces when I pull up, head out to the 200-yard line, open up the case and pull out a .22. Most can't believe that I can hit anything from that distance. I've made enough money at times to pay for the gun club membership. It shoots good at everything up to about 200 yards, but not much farther than that. Of course, you have to adjust the scope for the range and windage.
    It works great and has never let me down and I put all kinds of cheap ammo through it. Got to use the factory mags or get the ones with the steel feed lips though.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

If you had a junk revolver it's "possible" a sloppy fit and lineup of the cylinder and barrel would shave a little lead from the slug, otherwise a ricochet or a target that shoots back got you and if you hit the target it should have flattened the lead. Shaved lead wouldn't do much to a leg in that case. Cock the revolver(check first for empty) and wiggle the cylinder and check for any play.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

If I shot myself I think the biggest problem I'd have is trying to figure out if I should throw the target away or the revolver. Either way, one of 'em is history.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You simply can't go wrong with a Ruger 10-22 or for that matter a Ruger MKIII Hunter or a Super Single Six. I would certainly bet my life on any of these.
    I know what hunts you.

marlin 522n microgroved bolt action. .25-.50inch groups at 50yds in a bench vice with a bunch of different brands of ammo. i'm not that great of a shot and it's kind of hard to go to the range now to get more practice. my daughter loves it though.

Remington model 66 Nylon, wish I still had it.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan