Thread: Need expert feedback on potential survival knife purchase

Default Need expert feedback on potential survival knife purchase

I've been looking around for a small EDC knife under $100 which would go into a bug-out bag (One that stays with me pretty much all the time). This knife would be used for my general hunting/survival needs as well

I want something that will...
    - hold an edge for some time
    - feels comfortable in the hand when wet
    - last for up to 10 years
    - folding
    - lightweight

I'm hoping to get answers to the following questions...
    Carbon or stainless steel?
    Has anyone owned a knife that lasted for 10 years?
    Most review websites advice Buck Knives. Is it worth attention?

I'm looking forward to your input!

Buck 110 in stainless. I've had mine for 47 years.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post

Same here except I've only had my Buck 110 for 46 years.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Yep on the Buck 110!!!!! I've had two in 48 years. The first one was serving superbly when a moving crew liked it as much as I did; replaced it in less than 12 hours.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Buck 110. Good enough for Hell's Angels.

I'd stay away from the expression "survival knife". Most retailers use the expression as a marketing ploy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I just came out of Harbor Freight. They had a "Rambo" survival knife with no tang whatsoever.

Tang...the drink of astronauts. Oh, wait. You meant...never mind.

Get the Buck 110 with the wood handle. They make a light version that is ok but not what we here are talking about. Some come with a leather sheath, some with a nylon cordura one.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    FOURTY SEVEN YEARS?
    This is like one of those antique samurai swords that still sharp for 300 years

Do you mean 110 hunter https://wildproofgear.com/the-best-8...g-buck-knives/ the second in the list?

I got my first Buck 110 at the base exchange at New London, Ct the second week of sub school in October of 74. My son has it now. They are good knives. I keep one in my bag in the pick up. So are Kershaws. I, personally, prefer carbon steel blades but in teh big picture et the best name brand folder you can afford. Pretty simple decision actually. Make sure it has a very positive blade locking system on it.
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 01-21-2020 at 10:28 PM.

I have a Buck 110. I keep it in the center console of the truck and mainly open mail with it. But, it's always in there if it is needed for more pressing duties.

Until they went out of business, I was (still am) a big fan of Schrade knives. Until about a year ago I had an LB7 on my belt nearly every day (In the past year I've been wearing out one of Dave's little neck knives). They were reasonably priced and were rugged enough to to be used for a lot of things they really weren't intended for. They would take an edge with a few swipes on a stone or a rough rock.

I addition to all that, if they broke, or even if you lost it, Schrade would repair, replace or send you abrand new knife,

I sent two knives back to them for repair. An LB5 and a smaller single blade lock blade. Both were repaired like new and returned in a timely manner.

But, the old Schrade Co. is no more. I think China is producing knives with Schrade stamped on the blade now.

Every now and then I'll see an old LB7 at a garage sale (usually in the $10-$15 range). When I do, I bring it home and put it with the others....

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I got my 110 back in 1970. I never carry it any more, too heavy on the belt.

I moved on to Buck's lightweight series and even though they are Chinese made the quality is still there.

I carried a Spyderco for about a decade, back in the '90s and it was a strong light weight knife suited to most uses, but they have gone bonkers with their prices.

You can still pick up a 110 at most any pawn shop for $25. Just starting off as a newbie I would go that way to insure quality, or go for one of the SAK series with lock blade.

None of these are my EDC at this point in life. That duty goes to a Case 3 blade medium stockman.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'm a big fan of the Spyderco Delica, and the Endura if something a smidge bigger is needed. The Native is also superb and right at or around $100 depending on the steel you go for. One thing I love about Spyderco is that they offer a lot of higher end "super steel" options. Maybe you need it but I'm a steel nerd.

Hunter-Gatherer/Reenactor BushCraftPilot's Avatar

Camillus and CRKT are my favorite brands. Might try Timber Wolf as well.