Thread: New Member fro Michigan

Default New Member from Michigan

Hello everyone,

I am from Michigan. I am a single father enjoying every day spent with my daughter. I spend alot of time taking here camping, hiking, and hunting and fishing. Recently I have been spending time teaching her how to sew by hand and sewing machine. At the moment we are working on a wool anorak. As well an working on plains boot moccassins.

I do not know everything, and would like to learn something new every day. My interests are more knowledge in making leather clothing,(moccassins). I also am interested in snow shoe construction as well as sewing (pattern making knowledge). Wilderness skill, self sufficency, homesteading, gardening, and solo tripping.
    I am looking forward to learning new and old skills and getting to know all or some of you. I as well will be posting when time permits.

thank you everyone
    Last edited by scouthunt2; 01-07-2020 at 08:19 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Welcome home.

Gardening! One of my favorites. We got moved into a new house in August and I finally decided on a garden site. I broke out my vintage tiller, Troy built, aptly named "The Bronco". 8 seconds is a long time when she gets hung up in something hard. Most of this place is sand but the site that gets sun is clay with an 8" hardpan about 6 inches down. I got #1 son to bring his Bobcat skid steer over and dig it out to around a foot and a half all the way through the entire plot. It tills just fine now. This week I'll till in the leaves and other organic material I've been picking up since August. He also brought two dump trailer loads of top soil that will get tilled in last. It should grow something this year.

We plant around mid February here. I imagine you do that a bit later in Michigan.

Alan

February....(grumble, gripe, complain)....Yeah, here too. Indoors.

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yes we plant later in the year. Usually around late May earliy June, weather permitting. Some years it's a little later depending on our Tempeture, and soil temps. I like to start some plants by seed earlier in the year, growing indoors. hardening them before planting. we have awesome soil, garden plants grow great. my Neighbor when I was younger, Plowed the garden are with his horses. That was quite a sight. Now I use a rottertiller for the job.

Thank You for the Welcome.