Thread: .204 ruger

Default .204 ruger

I happen to have a TC compass rifle fall on me in .204 ruger. This rifle is in unfired condition. I know almost nothing about a .204 ruger. So I go to the LGS and pick up a box of ammo. They asked do you want this grain, that grain, polymer bullet this. hollow point that. I'm like, I dunno, any advise? none offered. I googled a bit too but didn't find much, maybe didn't dig in enough.

wished it were a 17 hornet but that's ok, I like them all. I think a .204 is about a 5mm.

Any thoughts on the .204 ruger?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I didn't know anything about it. Thought this was interesting https://gundigest.com/rifles/is-the-...levant-anymore
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

that's a great article.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I think Hunter had a .204, can't remember exactly. You might check the archives.

It would probably make a great trap line gun for heavier fur bearers like fox, coyote, bobcat.

One of the reasons it is so widely available is the massive number of rifles chambered and produced in the caliber, especially from Ruger and Savage. Every short action Ruger makes is offered in .204.

It must be very popular somewhere but I have never seen one on the local range and know no one that shoots one regularly. Surplus .223 is too cheap to buy to justify a "varmint only" factory cartridge in my area, and the 500 yard figures fail to be relevant in an area where 300 yards is a long shot.

But if one fell out of the sky onto you shoot it and be thankful. It appears a good cartridge for what its limited use is.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?