Thread: Double pointed / "forked" knife

Default Double pointed / "forked" knife

Anyways.. some time ago I bought a multi tool shovel that has misc stuff in it..

One of the tools it contain is a knife that apart from having a sawtoothed edge on one side, also features a double-pointed (or "forked") end. And this puzzle me abit..

I assume that they must have had some kind of purpose in mind for giving the knife a double-pointed end, but I haven't been able to find anyting.. Except I've found that tomato- and cheese-knives often have a "forked" tip somewhat similar..

On closer inspection I can also tell that one of the two points at the end is sharp, whereas the other one is blunt.

Can anyone enlighten me of what, in a wilderness survival context, might be the intended purpose of it?

Can opener maybe?
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

A picture of it would be helpful. You may have to wait until you have 10 posts to be able to do that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Can opener maybe?
    Hmm.. Now there's an idea..

I was abit sceptical at first, but after having tested it on a couple of tin cans I think you might be right.
    Using the sharp point to punch through the can, and the blunt point as a fulcrum to push the blade through the top or side of the can, it's actually pretty good at opening cans once I got the hang of it. (Although undoubtedly abit rough on the blade)..

Thanks for the suggestion. It was very helpful.
    Last edited by r_nielsen; 01-05-2020 at 12:37 PM. Reason: fixing a typo

A picture of it would be helpful. You may have to wait until you have 10 posts to be able to do that.
    I'll try and see if I can attach a photo. Here goes:
    Attachment 11945

Quote Originally Posted by r_nielsen View Post
    I'll try and see if I can attach a photo. Here goes:
    Attachment 11945
    Didn't work. The best way to post pictures is through a 3rd party photo hosting site. I prefer Imgur.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Didn't work. The best way to post pictures is through a 3rd party photo hosting site. I prefer Imgur.
    Ok. I uploaded the photo on imgur:
    https://imgur.com/a/w7w4dgK

Maybe it's a ..............

fork?

Alan

I'm not too certain that's not a hook remover.

Hunter-Gatherer/Reenactor BushCraftPilot's Avatar

it could be a tick remover

Thanks again, everybody, for the suggestions. There are some useful ideas.
    I suppose at the end of the day it is whatever I'm using it for.

The only knives I have seen with a tip like that are serving knives and fruit knives.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I did some Google Fu and found what might be the answer. Harpoon. I assume by attaching to one of the metal sections and then adding a long, straight pole/stick and you would have something semi usable.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Think I found what you guys are looking for an ICE PICK. Here is an AMAZON LInk of the tool and reading the description stated ICE PICK.

https://www.amazon.com/FiveJoy-Milit...8360892&sr=8-7
    The Wilderness for myself has always been a place, I can escape to and discover my stronger self. A true builder of self-confidence and skills, I never knew we're possible within me to achieve. A tough taskmaster breakdown my self-limits and barriers. I have overcome and found my inner self, leaving behind only the old skin, blood, and sweat, having won a newer stronger self. The Wilderness shows me a better reflection of myself.
    by Dogman.

I've watched the videos and never see them actually use the forked tip for anything, they were using the shovel blade itself for picking away at ice. Of course when you watch videos, more videos are available to view for similar products, and the Zune Lotoo shovel (a;though it does not have the forked tip on its hidden knife) made me want one of them.at $89.99 I won't be getting one anytime soon.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Fork tongue also forked tip, some call it spear tipped, that one always puzzled me.

No it is not a hook remover nor an ice pick, nor a can opener, despite being able to function as such.

Its primary function is to be used as a Ferro rod striker so that neither the knife nor saw blades get dulled.

It is also utilized the same way a cheese knife, serving knife, or tomato knife is used, for example, allowing one to pierce through the skin of soft fruit or an animal, and/or to act like a fork. (google cheese knife and tomato knife)

This info is what the research and development department of the survival trench tool had designed it as( but it never was in the manuals) . The funny thing is not one survival shovel nor multifunction shovel ever has labeled that part of the tool, the forked tongue section, to indicate its purpose, lol they just all copied the design not knowing its true function. seriously lol go to amazon and put in search "multifunction survival shovel" and you will see countless knockoffs none of which label that piece.

Just like the P38 can opener, people have found numerous additional uses for this fork tip, including a can opener, fish spearhead, and even to be used as a fork to eat with. But that is what people have thought up ( no one knowing so taking a guess and tried it) and not its original concept

It's one of the small advantages about being a gear reviewer is that you get to talk to R&D of different companies.

Rhino USA also indicated the same thing, it is a Ferro rod striker, and one of the few companies that even knew what it was for lol.

& Crashdive, you are right that is the only other type of knives that have this feature of a forked tongue. And although there is no way of truly knowing, but i personally think that is where they got their idea to place it there on the tip after seeing serving knives that had that feature, but had intended it to be used as a striker.
    Last edited by Michael aka Mac; 02-16-2022 at 05:29 PM.