Thread: Hello from Florida

Default Hello from Florida

I’m really interested in eastern woodlands foraging and shelter building.

Hello and welcome. I moved your thread to Introductions.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome home.

Hi.
    Thank you for your help. I’ll figure this out, lol.

Foraging and shelter building.

In my simplistic way I figure foraging is not so much about what you can eat but more about what you can't or shouldn't eat.

Shelter building is going to depend on whether you're trying to stay cool or warm. Shelters are more than just protection from the elements. To humans, a shelter means safety, or at least the feeling of safety. Florida (and Louisiana, where I spent and misspent my youth) has some of the finest shelter material on the planet. The saw palmetto will shed water if you stack it right and there's lots of it.

Alan

Alan is dead on with the saw palmetto. We've built shelters, eaten the root. weaved mats, and on one memorial occasion a member of our camping group made a fire entirely from the palmetto... with a Swiss Army Knife. I mean hearth, spindle, cordage, and tinder bundle.

hello and welcome snaptube telegram web
    Last edited by adomanim1; 01-06-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Wow. Thank you guys. Yes the saw palmetto is abundant in my area. I’m in central Florida near Tampa. I’m going to try to build a small shelter using the method of pounding two sets 4 ft pole type branches into the ground about 3 inches apart and then stacking branches up in between to form a wall. Then roof with palmetto fronds. Is there a sturdier way?

you get some cordage (or make some form the sp).

Find a mott of small trees growing close together clear out in the center of them. Bend the tops of the outside (still sanding) trees over into an arch with the center as tall as you can stand up in or as tall as the trees will allow (probably not taller than you can stand in). tie them together to make a dome. Start at the bottom with the palmetto leaves stem sticking up and start tying them in layers until you reach the top. Don't be afraid to use too many. Try to make sure they're green so when you build a SMALL fire inside you don't do that thing Madmax was talking about. That shelter will keep out most everything except spiders, ants, snakes, mosquitos, raccoons, possums, snakes, lizards, mosquitos, snakes, and snakes....

Alan

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Wilderness Forum and can I ask what have you learned about Survival today? Have you taken Sergeant Safari, Survival Wilderness Survival Quiz as yet? a good idea to take it as a new member and then say six months to a year test your skill levels. You can find a link on the bottom of the main forum page. Good Luck. Now just a few things to know about this FORUM as it is broken up into five important parts. Write down this link http://www.Wilderness-Survival.net and click on Survival Forum.
    1. Wilderness Survival Home:
    2. Take our Survival Quiz:
    3. Join our Survival Forum:
    4. Product Reviews
    5. Wilderness Survival:
    If you should need HELP with any parts of this Wilderness Survival, before sign-in look on top RIGHT next to sign-in and click HELP. Once completed Sign-in and on top again complete your PROFILE. Also adding TABs this is located under your topic/question TEXT. Look for “TAB” example: New MEMBER, others find you faster. Welcome again to Wilderness Survival and please complete your PROFILE by clicking on link top right. “MY PROFILE”
    The Wilderness for myself has always been a place, I can escape to and discover my stronger self. A true builder of self-confidence and skills, I never knew we're possible within me to achieve. A tough taskmaster breakdown my self-limits and barriers. I have overcome and found my inner self, leaving behind only the old skin, blood, and sweat, having won a newer stronger self. The Wilderness shows me a better reflection of myself.
    by Dogman.