Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: curing meat

Oh I suppose someone in a survival mode is going to drop a deer.
    Save those intestines and squeese the contents out of them, (somewhere away from where you are going to be working,) emptied turn them inside out and rinse them off the best you can in water, then salt them down to keep them fresh.
    You might want to do the same thing with it's stomach, it is just a muscular pouch, empty it out and run some water through it shaking it up to loosten and settled clumps inside.
    Off fall (guts) rot first so you have to deal with them right away, you are surviving right?
    Chop the off fall small enough to push into the stomach, heart, liver kidneys, and tongue, add a bit of water, and hang the gut bag over a low fire from a quick fashioned tripod. Don't forget to poke a small hole in the upper part of the bag so it will vent steam.
    Not all of your meat is going to be steaks, you will even get some roasts too.
    Even so you are going to have a lot of trim meat, this trim meat chopped very fine, mixed with about 1 tsp of salt 1 Tbsp. of pepper for every pound of minced meat, now is when you get the salted intestines, (casings) and gather them up like you do the tops of your socks to shove your feet into them. make a funnel from the hammered out tin from a can and set the gathered up casings to the funnel, and shove the seasoned meat through the funnel of fill the casing. It is a slow go, but it is doable.
    Twist the filled casing into individual links, hang them so to catch smaoke and smoke them to a good brown color, in this case smoke is a preservitive.
    When the bag of offal is done cooking eat your fill, and if you opened the stomach carefully you can store the cooked meat inside for a few days insuring the stomach doesn't run dry of water. What you never heard of Haggas?
    Surely you will have plenty of fresh meat, are you going to put it all up in jerky? If you had supplies (yeah like on TV) dig a pit, line it with the hide hair side down. dissole a lot of salt in the water good spices would work good too, clove garlic sage etc, and toss chunks of meat into the brine to soak, this will hold meat all winter long, not the best cured meat but you won't starve for spoiled food.

Default Question!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Here's the deal guys; in a real "group survival" situation all resources must be used. That means all equipment, food, water, and human resources as well. A good leader needs to be picked, duties assigned, etc.. Any thoughts?
    Did this SPECIFICALLY ever get started as a thread? I remember one that might have been it but I'm interested in what everyone has to say about duties being assigned, and have some things to put in for your consideration.

If not then start it or i will, or if so then point me at it. Group survival is an interesting subject.