Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm Pretty Proud...

Nice. My next project will take a little more work. Like a drill press...ahem.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Nice. My next project will take a little more work. Like a drill press...ahem.
    Sooo, plastic or not? Got one of each and thinking about doing the plastic one first. Crazy that the plastic one cost more.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The plastic costing more is a supply and demand thing.

Aluminum is more difficult to machine than plastic. It requires a full machine shop to complete. fewer people have that capability and demand is lower.

The plastic units, especially those from Polymer80 that run a bit high $$, can be finished by the average guy that owns a drill press and dremil tool. They arrive with the milling jig, drill bits, end mills and everything you need to complete the unit.

The only performance difference I have noticed is that the polymer frames do not like cheap plastic magazines, which often do not fit the mag well.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I got plastic ready to go from 80%. If all goes well I'll try aluminum next. Like kyrat said, the plastic comes all in one. I'm not in this for anything but a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

The only performance difference I have noticed is that the polymer frames do not like cheap plastic magazines, which often do not fit the mag well.
    Good to know

The plastic Magpul mags work best in my other AR's. I bought some bargain bin mags at Bud's on TN last year that wont feed my current AR's. Maybe they'll work on my upcoming frankengun. Lol.

Max I have been trying to send you a PM for two days and the internet keeps kicking it back to me and disconnecting me from the forum.

Ther are some tips you need before starting that Polymer80 build. Just things to make it easier.

I was using an X/Y milling vise and the first one I did took me two days. The second one took 4 hours and the next ones 2-3 hours so there is a learning curve.

Have a good shop vac available. It is your most important tool! That little 1/2" x 4" slot produces about a bushel of plastic shavings.

Since this thing is allowing me to post I will just do it here. No top secret info anyway, just tips.

Before you put the frame in the jig get a small drill bit and put a pilot hole through the frame. the screws tend to crack the plastic if you don't.

Once you get the frame in the jig do not take it out until you are finished. It is indexed in and does not need removal.

If you are working freehand or on a standard drill press use the drill bits to hog out the plastic and clean it up with the end mill. That plastic is more difficult to mill than you would expect, its tough. On thing I like about those frames. No flex to them.

Mark the drill bit or use a stop to insure you do not go too far into the frame. The end mill is already marked. there is a line on the shank and you chuck it at that line, then drill down till the chuck hits the jig. You have to remove down to 0.020" at the floor of the frame to get enough clearance for the trigger/disconnector to fire and reset. A HF dial caliper is good enough to give you needed measurements.

If you happen to drill through and make a hole in the bottom where the trigger is located the frame will still work. That section of the floor is just to keep trash out. you have to make a slot for the trigger anyway.

The critical areas are the pocket for the safety selector switch and the sides where the hammer/trigger and pins go through. The other areas of the sides can be a little messy and it will still work. Those three critical points need care.

Also the poly80 frame has a tight thread for the buffer tube. Military tubes and PSA tubes work OK but I had a commercial pistol tube that would not fit, too big for the threads.

I have not built one in a couple of years now so if you need other tips or see a potential problem give me a yell.

Thanks a bunch.