Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Pretty Proud...

Default I'm Pretty Proud...

...of this. My first AR15 build. PSA upper. Core15 lower and trigger upgrade. 7 1/2" barrel. I can't wait to shoot it.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Just couldn’t wait until I got home, Lol

I researched the crap out of the build. I cut it down to a 3/16 allen wrench long, a skinny punch, and a castle nut tool. Easy peasy. I was sweating bullets fearing I would break the ears off the trigger guard. A 3" c clamp squeezed the roller pin in with no problem.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

if you have not shot it yet I suggest that you wear both ear plugs and suppressor muffs! A 7 1/2" AR makes a noise that resembles the quake of doom.

Slap a scope on that thing just for giggles and shock yourself with how well a shorty will shoot. I have one shorty with co-witnessed sights and aim point and it is a joy to shoot and very comforting to have around the house at night.

I never use those modular units though I do use chromed and polished units from PSA. Just taking the burrs and casting marks off a stock trigger and polishing the parkerizing from it will usually put the pull around 5 pounds.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-01-2020 at 07:50 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You're not the first to warn me about the loudness. Lol. Ear plugs and muffs were SOP when shooting my 454 Casull revolver. They hated that one at the range. I wonder how they're gonna feel about this. Bwahahahaha!!!!

E4E20031-22F5-4E09-AF8D-F9A332F2A5F1.jpg

Here’s a pic of my shorty. 10.5 inch in 556.

Cool. I like the color combo and the retro carrying handle.

very nice, a shorty is on my short list
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Take kyrat's advice. MAJOR ear pro. Go no shorter that 8 1/2" barrel. Wish I'd known that.

Nice pistol. Have you shot it out pass 200 yards yet?

Naw. I am waiting for iron sights to be delivered. And as far as 200 yds, we have one range that distance close by and it's kinda pricey. It
    s also hit or miss if a range officer will be there during weekdays. Weekends are crowded. I definitely need magnification past 50 yds.

I forget that not everyone on here has access to easy, free shooting. I am very blessed to be able to walk 20 feet out my back door and shoot at my 500 yard target whenever I feel the need. I have iron sights on my AR pistol (PSA build) but I use a Votex Crossfire on mine most of the time. I went with the 10.5" barrel and I love it. It is amazingly accurate. I would tell you how good it shoots out past 150 yards but you would just think I was lying. I even think I am lying sometimes. It is a real shooter and I am not a real fan of the AR platform although I have come a long way in the last three years. Down deep I am still a diehard .308 guy for ranges out past 200 yards, but my son has a 6.5 Creedmoor that will kill pigs out to 1200 yards coming and going. Of course the glass he has on that rifle cost him more than the rifle did. I can not believe how good modern scopes are these days. At 64 years old my days of being arrogant about using iron sights only are over. If I want a clear sight picture out past 50 yards it is going to have to be with optics.

I can do 100 yd distance at my cabin in NC. Step out the door and shoot. I'm going to put up some iron targets this summer up there.

If you use Iron targets with a .223 you have to get tempered armor plate. Those little slugs cut through mild steel like a hot knife through butter and we are prohibited from using that caliber on the silhouette targets at the local club. Nothing from 1/2" plate down will work normally.

DSJ, I would believe you! I have shot my AR pistols at 100 yards and found them to be equally accurate to my carbines.

Max, Now that you have the operating pistol you can buy a carbine upper and use it, though the sound deadening might not be as much as you would expect.

I have found the 10" barrel the most handy of the shorties. It shoots good, looks good and handles better than the 8" models. Going longer than 10" defeats the purpose of having the shortie and you might as well be carrying the carbine.

I also like the 10" model due to nostalgic reasons.

I have a carbine. I love shooting it. And it's why I decided to build the pistol. That and I'm looking into the 80% builds and needed a starting build/point.

Sights installed. To the range.

Lookin good billy ray

I've been wanting the PSA Vietnam-Style hard stock kit for a long time...

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...rifle-kit.html

Nice build.
    Had to think about range shooting as I also just step out side to shoot. Now my neighbor ( 7 miles away but second closest in that direction) solved his range problem. He has trap, pistol and rifle ranges. His rifle range steps all the way out to 1200 yards . I guess when you have a 7 figure income and thousands of acres you can do that. Nice guy though.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Sights installed. To the range.

Don't forget that you can bore-sight that beast at 35 meters using the old eyeball looking down the barrel method and be on the paper. I have done that with several AR builds and had them within a couple of inches at 200m. That was on a lucky day, going down hill with the wind behind me.

AR platform does not do well with the commercial optical bore sighters due to the height of the sights over the bore. More and more range facilities are offering 35 meter positions just for this reason.

Used to be the standard was 25 yards equaled on paper at 100 yards. Back in the old days when rifles were made of wood and steel and the scopes were one inch above the bore line.

It has only taken since 1964 to get gun clubs to realize there was a new standard. We have had the AR platform in use as standard issue rifle longer than any other long gun in U.S. history.

Bore sight at 35 meters, then verify at 35 meters when you get to the range. You should be a little high at 100, dead on at 200. That is with 55 gn standard hardball.