Thread: Drop Cloth Tent?

Hunter-Gatherer/Reenactor BushCraftPilot's Avatar

Default Drop Cloth Tent?

Does anyone have any info about a canvas drop cloth tent? My next project, thanks

Do a search for oil cloth recipe. There are a few by kyrat that will enable you to waterproof the canvas.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Make sure you purchase at least 10 oz canvas. The weave on the cheap 8 oz. canvas is too open to seal using any process and will never be waterproof.

A heavy rain will shoot mist through the weave and leave the inside looking like a foggy rain forest.

Ask me how I know!

That leaves out the cheap Harbor Freight, Lowes and Home Depot drop cloths. Go to Sherwin Williams and get the 10 or 12 oz. drop cloths they offer to professional painters.

Even heavy broadcloth or a high count weave bed sheet treated with the oil cloth process we have in the archives is better than the cheap drop cloths.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Make sure you purchase at least 10 oz canvas. The weave on the cheap 8 oz. canvas is too open to seal using any process and will never be waterproof.

A heavy rain will shoot mist through the weave and leave the inside looking like a foggy rain forest.

Ask me how I know!

That leaves out the cheap Harbor Freight, Lowes and Home Depot drop cloths. Go to Sherwin Williams and get the 10 or 12 oz. drop cloths they offer to professional painters.

Even heavy broadcloth or a high count weave bed sheet treated with the oil cloth process we have in the archives is better than the cheap drop cloths.
    I found that out the hard way...

Thanks, I'll check it out

How long and wide do you recommend?

Depends on how much coverage you want. A small shelter will work, but a larger one will give you room to move around.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

How big is your truck?

Treated canvas is not backpacking gear. It is bulky and heavy, so if you are using it you need a vehicle or a pack mule to carry it, so go with the largest size you can manage.

I used the stuff because I was a reenactor of the frontier era. When I do not have some artificial date in the distant past to work too I usually use a tent from Sportsman's Guide that is twice as good, ten percent of the weight and cost less than the canvas and chemicals to treat it.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I use a 12' by 12' canvas at rendezvous. I have been fine in 80 degree weather and when there's frost on the pumpkins. Of course it depends on how you configure it. 10' by 10' is ok for one person.

I'm 13, so I don't have a truck, but thanks kyrat