Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Camping with a 30F Bag

That's great! Super confidence booster. Congrats.

If you are car camping, it’s hard to beat an Exped Megamat inflatable. R factor of 9.5

wool is your friend...... skip trying all the fancy high tech stuff and spend your dollars on good wool. I camp without a tent a lot because I enjoy seeing the stars and I rarely ever find myself miserable. I, personally am not a fan of miserable, never have been.
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 02-09-2022 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    wool is your friend...... skip trying all the fancy high tech stuff and spend your dollars on good wool I camp without a tent a lot because I enjoy seeing the stars and I rarely ever find myself miserable. I, personally am not a fan of miserable, never have been.
    I've seen many online winter camp with a good fire, wool blankets on a camp pad and leaned tarp to block the wind. Those are my camp goals.

Winter camping is dangerous.

So is being stupid.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Boy, I can sure vouch for that. Wait a minute....did that come out right?

Eh, Rick, we've all had our moments.

True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I'd settle for just a moment instead of weeks and months.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Winter camping is dangerous; moreover, it is more expensive. We have a family tradition, once every 2 months my wife and I go camping. It's really awesome. My wife taught me how to cook fish on the fire. I also showed her how to fish correctly. She is a quick learner and was able to catch some big fish. Recently, I decided to buy a new tent for camping. I spent a lot of time looking for the best tent. Forum users have recommended me 3 models. OF COURSE I CHOSE SPAM. OH, YEAH. SPAM IS THE BESTESTES.
    Last edited by Rick; 07-22-2021 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Removed link

Gee what a surprise that somebody that posted about the dangers of camping came back and spammed the site.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sorta of a letdown of trust in human nature huh? They only wanted you for your SPAM...

Alan

I was thinking pretty face, beautiful rotund body, intelligent mind. But, no, just spam. Makes me almost want to cry. Almost. Oh, look, butterflies.

I am glad to see my thread still alive!!

This cheap 30 degree Ozark bag has been amazing.
    Easy to pack, light, comfortable. I've gone on many trips with it now in the Appalachian mountains, even in winter.

I do get cold toes on bad nights. I've gone down to 10 degrees in this thing multiple times.
    My trick? Two 10hour hand warmers stuffed in my socks when I wake up cold. Puts me out with the sweetest dreams.

I camp year round and can't add much more to what has already been stated.

1: Cotton is the devil
    2: several layers is better than a few layers
    3: degree ratings are no comfort ratings. I always add 20* to cold weather gear.
    4: hydration is important. I often add water flavor packets to hot water and drink like coffee. Hot lemonade and hot mixed berry are my favorites.
    5: keep a spare set of clothing, particularly socks.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

try looking into a usgi mss sleep system. it is a very good setup. google it
    can find used forabout200.00us ps goodluckoh anddon't forgetsome goldbondfootandbodypowder
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    I camp year round and can't add much more to what has already been stated.

1: Cotton is the devil
    2: several layers is better than a few layers
    3: degree ratings are no comfort ratings. I always add 20* to cold weather gear.
    4: hydration is important. I often add water flavor packets to hot water and drink like coffee. Hot lemonade and hot mixed berry are my favorites.
    5: keep a spare set of clothing, particularly socks.

A lot of sleeping bags companies have changed their temp ratings for their bags over the years. If you read the fine print, you will see some of the manufacturers indicate that the temp rating is assuming you are wearing mid to heavyweight wicking base layers, socks, neck covering, hat & gloves, and with a sleeping pad with a Min R value of 5.5 (higher for more extreme cold temps)

Another thing to watch out for is whether the sleeping bag temp rating is (for example) a 0 degree for comfort or if it was tested down to 0 degrees (tested cold limit). The differenece is the Comfort rating means you are not freezing your !@# off, the tested cold limit means you are freezing your !@# off, but alive. There can be a 10-15 degree difference between the comfort tested temp and lowest temp limit tested.

I totally agree that one should add 15-20 degrees to an extreme and or cold weather bag for the above reasons. One thing though, when I read about people testing their sleeping bags in their backyard to test them out and end up in the hospital. This is especially true if you drink the hooch. It is possible to fall asleep and then the temperature dips so cold that you end up hypothermic. There are tales of this happening and people dying, rare, but possible. I suggest setting your watch or cell phone for every 2 hours so that you wake up and can see just how cold you are and if the ambient temp has dropped.

Oh and it pretty much doesn't matter how low your sleeping bag goes down to if you do not use an insulated pad at the appropriate R value rating. You are still goiong to freeze from the cold from the ground sucking the heat out of you.