Thread: Searching for BETTER, Newer "Mess kit" gear for myself.

Blog Entries

Default Searching for BETTER, Newer "Mess kit" gear for myself.

OKAY before you say anything please try and understand. For years I have owned and used what I have learned is called "ROTHCO GI TYPE MESS KIT" I liked being able to slip the open pan loop over the handle of the other pan making clean up and eating while hold full kit of food in one hand. But my kit is old and in need of being replaced. YES, I sometimes eat MRE's but I enjoy cooking my stuff over a fire

Looking for a pan & pot I can hold over a fire to cook what's inside. As setting them down can at times become a problem with ash flying up into the food.

Looking for a 1-deep pot 4 to 8" inches high and or 8'inch across, with a lied.
    1-open face pan with both a holding over fire Handel and a long handle to hold possibly two open face pans.
    1-large coffee cup 20oz. or bigger
    1-set knife, fork, spoon

Thanks in advance, for any professional assistance provided on this personel issue and again, Thanks.
    The Wilderness for myself has always been a place, I can escape to and discover my stronger self. A true builder of self-confidence and skills, I never knew we're possible within me to achieve. A tough taskmaster breakdown my self-limits and barriers. I have overcome and found my inner self, leaving behind only the old skin, blood, and sweat, having won a newer stronger self. The Wilderness shows me a better reflection of myself.
    by Dogman.

I have a GSI cookpot . It's called a Pinnacle soloist. It holds about a quart of whatever. I can put a few things inside of it to enable me to cook or heat up food or drink. I use an alcohol stove( I dont build a fire just to cook over) and that fits in the pot too. It also has a cup/bowl thing in it. I also like the Stanley 24oz cook kit if you just need/want to boil water.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Take a look at the mountain cook set and see if that's what you are looking for.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...SABEgKsrvD_BwE

I have one and like it a lot. The GSI is a good choice too.

Blog Entries

Here is a photo like what I currently have Plus a small 4" inches pan and 12oz cup. My mess kit was old and the handle gave out and the ARMY NAVY store has them, but I was thinking all these years there has to be some improvements. Understand whats cool about the mess kit is the small two pan has a small loop, which you use to place over the handle to hold them together in one hand to eat out of all three. Clear up is soap water, Bleach, and clean hot water. simple simple: I like simple and useful with multi uses:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=5&ajaxhist=0
    Last edited by DogMan635; 12-08-2019 at 09:56 PM.
    The Wilderness for myself has always been a place, I can escape to and discover my stronger self. A true builder of self-confidence and skills, I never knew we're possible within me to achieve. A tough taskmaster breakdown my self-limits and barriers. I have overcome and found my inner self, leaving behind only the old skin, blood, and sweat, having won a newer stronger self. The Wilderness shows me a better reflection of myself.
    by Dogman.

I guess it all comes down to what you want to cook and how you want to cook it. Some want a stick. Some a pot. Others a pan. Then the fuel source. I don’t mind ashes. I blow out the bugs, dust and dog hairs.