Thread: Check your kit

Default Check your kit

It’d been a few years. My blast match doesn’t work.
    The spring died that pushes out the ferro rod.
    Last edited by rebel; 11-20-2019 at 11:33 PM.

FYI, a little wd40 will eventually fix the blast match spring without interfering with the ferro rod sparks

Actually, that makes sense. To use it, you're pushing the rod up inside the housing so a lot of "shavings" from the rod are probably going inside as well and collecting there. A good spray from WD-40 probably dislodges the crud. Good to know. Thanks!

Crash lit up the camp after a rain with a road flare last week. It's a little bigger though.

A few years ago my military compass wouldn’t freely spin. The manufacturer said to open it up for awhile. Sure enough, that fixed it. It’d be a bad deal to find out that something doesn’t work when you need it. Like the blast match. It’s good to be redundant.

Options are good. The expression one is none and two is one has a lot of merit.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yep, gotta give everything the once-over every so often. Thanks for the reminder!

Yep, time to finish off the winter trunk kit. Some of it is still sitting on the front table waiting to go in. The winter clothes "go bag" and the winter sleeping bag and some non-freezable food items. Most of the summer stuff is out or eaten already. It's sad when the fishing gear goes up in the garage ceiling for the season.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Just remember WD40 burns.

A long time ago I had an electric weedeater. It started having issues so I doused it good with WD40 and pulled the trigger. Big ole fire happened almost instantly. After I beat it out in the dirt it worked perfectly for another year or two.

Alan

Do you sort of picture a technician in a lab coat with some WD on his sleeve as they worked on the formula. He gets near a Bunsen burner and ignites....

2nd technician looking at 3rd technian: "WD37?"
    3rd technician: "Check"

There's not much that stuff is not good for.

My blast match malfunctioned again. I think it took a spring set from storage. The spring seems weak. I took it apart and now it won’t stay put back together.

I took out the ferro rod and replaced the striker with a piece of hack saw blade. KISS comes through again. I won’t be getting another blast match.

I think Blastmatch is a good piece of kit. It would not be my only piece of fire starting gear. A BIC lighter is pretty cheap and simple. You want to have something very easy to use if the hands are cold and numb.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    ... I took it apart and now it won’t stay put back together.

A lot of my stuff met that fate.

Alan

I missed that post. Yeah. That and put back together with fewer parts than the factory used. I have no idea why engineers need all those parts. I can put it back together and make it work just fine with a lot less. "Fine" is open to interpretation I guess but still.