Thread: shooting the 41 swiss

Default shooting the 41 swiss

The other day I loaded up some converted 8mm lebel and shot the 41 swiss vertilli. I had converted it to centerfire awhile back

I picked up a mold and a lee bullet sizing die in .427. I slugged the bore on the swiss and it measures .421. There is little loading data on this round. It is recommended to use trapdoor springfield data for the 45-70. I chose 25 grains IMR 4198 and a 320 grain bullet. I get a bit of blowback on the brass. I was surprised of this and am using close to pure lead or close.

I also shot some of the bullets as cast, they measure .433. I would like to find a hollow base mold for the swiss.

anyhoo getting a bit closer

here's a link with a link

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ighlight=swiss
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

been shooting this and it's been going good, the blowback went away. I picked up a hundred rounds of 8mm lebel and a harbor freight mini-chop saw. The little chop saw makes short work of shortening the brass, made up a little jig to hold the neck and set the length of the case. Cut a bunch and then prime, charge with unique and seal with a hot glue gun, shoot to form and then final trim in case trimmer. I anneal the neks by a method using a candle, that seems to work well.

Looking for a peep sight for the old swiss, something hat matches the era
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

ive never tried hot glue to fire form any cases. I like it. I used triple 7 for my snyder for powder, it filled the case up a little better so i wasnt to worried Id accidentally over charge. What kind of groups are you getting with the old Swiss? The Snyder was pretty impressive up to about 60 yards. it went to crap after that.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

I've been plinking with the swiss, I need to upgrade the front sight. So I haven't a handle on grouping yet. I picked up another as well.