Thread: Hot tub

Default Hot tub

For 64 1/2 years I never had any inclination to sit in a hot tub. Then I got one...

It's the greatest thing since the CPAP!

Alan

I haven't hot-tubbed in many years but they are relaxing!

Even during the 80's when hot tubs were "The Thing" I never had any desire to use one. Mostly because I didn't have one of my own (I'm not interested in sitting in someone else's warm soup) and I've never taken baths. Just showers.

But we bought a house and the hot tub was here. I got a hot tub tech to come out, scrub it out and teach me how to care for it (Ph balance, chlorine, etc.). I set it on 103 degrees and there is a bank of jets in one of the seats that is perfect for my back. Every evening I sit in it for about 15 min and it seems like it pulls all the extra stress out of my body and my middle and lower back doesn't hurt at all. 15 min is about all I can take.

Alan

Used to have one sitting on my front porch many years ago. Was great for the back after a hard days work and in the summer a 20 pound bag of ice converted it to a nice cooling dip after working outdoors all day.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I got in a lot of hot springs out west in the 70's. Glenwood Springs CO relaxed me so much that I could barely walk afterwards. Guess I over did it. Fast forward 30 years and the gym I went to had a hot tub. It was pretty inviting. Until I went later in the day once. It was full of older people... like canes and wheelchair old people... Like people who wear Depends people. I eventually quit even swimming laps there with visions of swimming through a pool of old peoples' leakage plagued me.

...maybe if we had our own.

Madmax: "This hot tub is really warm."
    Old guy: "That's me."

For a guy that eats grubs, I'm amazed that something like that grossed you out. There is chlorine in the water. Now I have this image in my brain of you calling in hazmat for a full body wash down. LOL.

Odd how different things gross out different people, huh?

Last time I visited hot springs (Idaho Springs) the water was a lot hotter than I expected. I had been to Princeton Hot Springs before that and they were just warm.

I used to do hot sweat lodges. I can't do it anymore since my heart problem.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I did a vision quest in the 70's. I vaguely remember a sweat/smoke cleansing ritual. Lotsa chanting and drums... and peyote. When I woke up I was in the hospital recovering from heat exhaustion and dehydration. I asked about my clothes. They said that there wasn't much on me. It was burned. I think my "guide" deserted me early on. Speaking of desertion, I was a little late coming back to base on a 5 day leave. They were pissed. Got Captains mast. He scared the $hit out of me.

So no more vision quests.

Hey Tony, at camp next week we can fill one of the boats with water, you at one end, me at the other. I can perform enough bodily functions (with drinking enough and eating chili) to warm the water and have full on jets.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Butt... who'll take the pictures?

Oh, the humanity. Think of the children!

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Butt... who'll take the pictures?
    No worries..................I have a waterproof camera.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't like where this thread went...

I plan to continue using electricity to heat the water as opposed to a purely ... uh ... biological method...

Also, just in case anyone was getting the wrong idea... none of you are invited!

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    I don't like where this thread went...

I plan to continue using electricity to heat the water as opposed to a purely ... uh ... biological method...

Also, just in case anyone was getting the wrong idea... none of you are invited!

Alan
    I don't blame you!

Heh

Back when I was working offshore, I had a layover in Kenner, LA, and I stayed at the Holidome. When I walked into the lobby, I noticed the indoor pool and hot tub. I went immediately to my room and changed. An hour later, I look up and notice a sign that said not to stay in the hot tub for longer than 15 minutes. I jumped up and it felt like someone hit my head with a sledgehammer.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

It was probably just a blackjack. They're too lazy to carry sledgehammers in Kenner...

Alan

My folks had one on their back deck. It was a pleasant experience. Especially on colder days. Getting out and back inside the house was done in a hurry. If someone puts one on their deck, make sure the deck is reinforced for the weight.

A hot tub or hot spring in the snow is sorta like...... it's sorta like Baked Alaska.