Thread: Cracking Black Walnuts

Default Cracking Black Walnuts

Whats the best way to crack black walnuts fast? I have been foraging for them, but they are extremely hard to open. Any suggestions?
    I am on a mission to learn as much as I can about real foods. To do this I started a podcast called The Year of Plenty Podcast. You can listen with this link https://linktr.ee/yearofplenty ... It is on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts and any other podcast app. The episodes are also on www.theyearofplenty.com

Tip of knife in stem end, twist and open.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We always just used a hammer, tapping it along the seams. but I was a little kid and often hit the wrong nell. My fingers took a beating but that never stopped me.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Thanks for the advice. I just found a bunch of them so I will have to try one of these methods.
    I am on a mission to learn as much as I can about real foods. To do this I started a podcast called The Year of Plenty Podcast. You can listen with this link https://linktr.ee/yearofplenty ... It is on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts and any other podcast app. The episodes are also on www.theyearofplenty.com

Download daily updated Free Fonts. Finding the perfect font for your next project one can be difficult and time-consuming. So, forget that and have a spam sammich instead.

Those fonts would probably be in Hindi or Bengali and I'd be turning them around and around trying to figure out which side was the top. Dang Indian spammers.

Ok maybe I am missing something, but umm Why not try using a Nut Cracker? I have like 5 different nut crackers and there has never been a nut I couldn't crack with at least one of them. Hmm am i still talking about nuts?

Unless the foraging is to bring them home, I would imagine that a nut cracker may not be in the pack. Maybe there is an argument that it should be if that is what the trip is for, but knives are always in the load out (or should be).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Frankly, I just use rocks. Except I don't like black walnuts and all I'd want them for is the tannin.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I agree with wolf, using a rock would be the best option to crack open nuts in the wild. I would never use a knife to open a nut as there is no way to secure the nut so that it doesn't move and the risk of hurting oneself in the wilderness is not an option for me. Not to mention its a good way to chip the tip of your blade.