Thread: Landed on a mystery

Default Landed on a mystery

With the drought, a couple of weeks ago I went exploring in some low areas. I came across some unusual land formation. There were hills and ravines where there shouldn’t be. It was extensive. Maybe a 100 square yards. I asked the 89yo fil what he knew would cause something like that. He said his father during the depression was paid a dollar a day to dig a pond in that area. It doesn’t look like a normal pond. The hills and ravines remind me of the snake mounds. They were dug almost a 100 years ago and they’re still 10-15 foot deep. The tree cover prevents an aerial picture. A couple days ago I ran into the daughter of a guy who had the adjoining field and I asked her what she knew about the formation. I asked if that was where they dug a pond during the depression. She laughed and said yea that’s what they called it but, they were looking for gold. The only gold would be from what might have been buried. Jeff Davis was captured not too far from here. Nah

You ran into "The farmer's daughter" and asked her about some holes in the ground?

Alan

Sounds like he was trying to get her into the woods alright. It's his story, though, he can tell it any way he wants. (wink)

Farmer's daughter aside, researching and uncovering the history of an area is always fascinating.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I wouldn't be surprised about "gold". At one time the "New World" was considered a "land of gold." There have been gold rushes all over the US. It's sorta funny how things connect. At the beginning of Denver was a sister city of Auraria. It was founded in the search for gold by pioneers from Auraria, Georgia which was named for...you probably guessed it....gold.

Yes, history is fascinating.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I’ll be going back with the metal detector. I’ll probably find my usual things. Cans and nails. No, the farmers daughter won’t be going. It’ll just be me and the dogs on a little adventure in the woods.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

A little adventure in the woods. Riiiiiight. What happens in the hills and ravines stays in the hills and ravines.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Where are you now Rebel?

You guys might be surprised at where gold has been mined inside out nation in the past.

The first gold rush in the U.S. was in GA and a mint was set up at Delonica, GA.

Guess who owned that land when the rush started in 1828. If you guessed the Cherokee you would be correct.

Guess who owned it when it was over?

If you guessed "not the Cherokee" you would also be correct.

Now you understand the real reason for that "removal thing".
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The north side of the Okefenokee swamp.

Again, I'm not surprised. People seemed to think North America was gold plated. But as the Bible warned thousands of years ago....gold is where it's fined.

Funny thing is that the sands in South Georgia are loaded with rare Earth elements. The last time I visited, they were mining the sand for things like thorium, cerium, titanium, neodymium, and lanthanum.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.